Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire wear?

Hey guys
for those of you who ahve MudBugs, Mudlites, 589ms,
hwo are the tire wear for these three tires.
I wanted the mudlites because of the softer ride, but then again they wear fast, supposidly, when traveling on road. I do need to travel on road time to time to get to anf from some trails but jsut wondering if i got the mudbugs or 589ms's which of those would have better wear?

Old 05-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default tire wear?

I am not sure because I don't have either. If you go Mudlites look at the Mud Lite XTR's the lugs are closer together so it is a better trail / road tire but they will still sling some mud. I heard good things about the bear claws on a post the other day. I was stuck on the Mud Lite XTR's but I am considering the bear claws now.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Range Rover
Default tire wear?

thnaks for the only post so far [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

but bearclaws.. i heard of tyhem being good too but my fear is the treads arent really deap and they seem to wear quickly?

Old 05-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default tire wear?

You guys should check out the Interco Swamplites. I love them, they go through anything i give them! And ive had to travel tar roads at high speed, and they still look like new!! Check out my pics to see a close up of the tires with Delta series chrome steel rims.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default tire wear?

XTR's ride very well on the road. I also went through a mud pit at a local dice run and the tires hooked up extremely well. They were definetly hands down better than the Mudlites albeit at an increased price though. I only have 40 miles on them so I can't comment on the wear.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
2TV
Pro Rider
Default tire wear?

Don't know about the Mudbugs but 589's wear (and ride) like iron. Tires sizes of 26" or larger give you a deeper tread lug. GBC Gators and Dirt Devils also wear very well and are resistant to punctures, just like the ITP 589's.

I use 27" 589's on my Grizz in the winter and 26" Dirt Devils for the other 3 seasons (I have over 2000 miles on those Dirt Devils and they still have plenty of tread left and this includes a lot of aggressive trail riding). My 589's show very little wear but they've only been on for 3 winter seasons now, not a whole lot of miles. What I don't like about my 589's are that the tread lugs don't wrap around the sides of the tire.

I do know that Mudlites wear more quickly than the other tires that I mentioned as I have a couple of friends that had them. They have both changed over to Bighorns after wearing down the Mudlites while I'm still running the same set of Dirt Devils on my Grizz. I'm running Dirt Devils on the Brute now too (I had Gators on before that which still have plenty of tread left). However I consider the DD's a better general purpose trail tire while the Gators are better for softer (i.e. muddy) terrain.

Note that any trail tire will wear down quickly on asphalt, especially if turning is involved...