Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

question about using the winch

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006 | 09:01 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default question about using the winch

OK so today i went riding with a honda foreman lifted high big tires and he had a warn winch. we went with a 250ex and my mojave

my mojave got burried a few times in mud and when he was winching me the foreman would come closer to the mud and he would have to use reverse with the winch (and we know thats not good for it)

so how do you guys stop this from happening if the ground is sloppy and there are no trees around

Old 05-20-2006 | 10:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dont winch and pull at the same time. Its just like winching if you dont push the button, and just use the quad to pull it out.

Old 05-20-2006 | 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have had to dig holes before and plant the tires of the winching quad in those holes.

A better option would be to carry a long rope to tie off the winching quad to keep it from going forward, but if you cannot then there isn't much options. v2rider suggested to just pull the quad out without using the winching motor but that is nearly impossible as you'd never gain enough traction in sloppy conditions.

Another thing I have done is to look for a fairly stout log and carry it over to where I needed to winch then digging a hole and bury the log on one end like a fence pole, but at a 45 degree angle and tied off the winching quad to the pole, that way the pole would hold the quad from slipping forward.

If your really desperate then you can lash the tires of the winching quad to 2 poles then bury the front of the poles so that when you winch the front of the poles will dig in and the quad will come up like a teeter totter. What ever you come up with it's bound to be some work if you don't carry the right equipment. The best thing is to ride with a group so you can attatch quads together.

Old 05-21-2006 | 12:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

When your stuck good your stuck good. I say get out however you can with the minimal amount of damage to your equipment. My experiance has been Ute's and warn winches are nearly bullet proof. I haven't been able to break anything yet and I have thought twice about some of the chit I have done.

Old 05-21-2006 | 01:14 PM
|
Pro Rider

yeah the mud wasnt that deep probably 6 inches but it was extremely thick and pastey and when the 2 wheel drives lost momentum it was very hard to get them moving again...

the foreman had no problem in anything we went though but that's not a surprise. finally we just threw some waterhose on our grab bars so they wouldnt get torn up so bad and just got em going by pushing them with the foreman when they bogged down

crude but worked really well. you'd be surprized where we went

riding yesterday with the foreman really made me want another one (that was my first quad) after being on sport bikes for 3yrs

Old 07-06-2006 | 03:03 AM
Former Sponsor

here is a tip..
Have the foreman leave it in 2WD and hold the front brake and bury the rear end... this will create an anchor hole for him to then leverage.

He can winch out the 2 wd's and then engage his 4wd and drive away.

Old 07-06-2006 | 02:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: Ratchet11
here is a tip..
Have the foreman leave it in 2WD and hold the front brake and bury the rear end... this will create an anchor hole for him to then leverage.

He can winch out the 2 wd's and then engage his 4wd and drive away.
Good trick! Another one is to carry a steel bar about 3' long. dig a "T" shaped hole with the bottom of the "T" pointed at the quad you want to anchor or, if using the winch on the rig that is stuck, at the stuck quad. Put the steel bar in the hole across the top the the "T" with a line around it's center. Makes a good anchor point. You can use a log or heavy branch the same way but having the rod with you is handy when it's a ways to any trees.

Old 07-06-2006 | 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Montana Jacks sell a shovel/anchor point for ATV's that you put in the ground, you might be about to use it to anchor a quad while pulling another one out. Just dig the hole behind the quad, you would need some extra rope though. Just a thought.

Old 07-06-2006 | 08:24 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the input guys.

THIS is the foreman we've been riding with, the guy who rides it is getting a brute force soon so I'm trying to get my money together to buy the foreman.

It's not the nicest machine around as far as cosmetics go but the thing will absolutely go anywhere and not complain.

as far as the winching goes we've been using that alot lately and come up with alot of different methods for anchors, for getting the foreman out we've been burrying the sport quads and we have been bringing a long rope with us, and hooking the rope to the foremans hitch and putting the rope around a tree then winching the other quads out works extremely well.

dont forget your ******-block either haha

Old 07-07-2006 | 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know where you guys ride, but there seems to always be a tree around to park behind when winching around here.

Quick Reply: question about using the winch