Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Looking for a work horse ATV

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a work horse ATV

Originally posted by: ppope
I answered this in the other forum, but I would suggest the foreman 500 because...it's air cooled with fan assist, solid rear axle (less cv boots to tear), manual tranny with gears (no cvt belts) geared very low, steel racks, and a proven work horse. The Rubicon is also a good choose, but being liquid cooled, and auto tranny makes for more to breakdown or tear up. For a work machine the less electronics, and technical guru stuff the better. Therefore the honda foreman is undeniably the best work machine available.
Touche. While I will not attempt to argue your point, because it is a very valid one, I will say that I had a 2001 Rubicon with over 5900 miles on it by the time I sold it and absolutely nothing relating to the transmission or electronics went awry for me. I did have to do a rebuild on the rear end shortly after I bought it due to the previous owner riding LOTS of creek sand and mud and never mantaining his differential fluids, but that would not have occurred had the proper mantainence steps been taken. Either way though, those would not be problems experienced with a work-only machine and the transmission, I think, is the best in the ATV business, bar none.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Range Rover

The Bomb Traxter has always been a magazine and workhorse favorite. Largest gear tranny, largest stock storage, super reliable and extremely stabile. You can get a great price on them now but don't exclude John Deere since they are the same machine (rebadged). A little note the Canadian forestry service uses them; I know one has 25,000 miles on it with only brakes, battery and oil changes!!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Mdog
The Bomb Traxter has always been a magazine and workhorse favorite. Largest gear tranny, largest stock storage, super reliable and extremely stabile. You can get a great price on them now but don't exclude John Deere since they are the same machine (rebadged). A little note the Canadian forestry service uses them; I know one has 25,000 miles on it with only brakes, battery and oil changes!!!!!!!
If you don't mind me asking....how do you know the Canadian forestry service uses them??? I live in Canada and am very involved with the outdoors (fishing, hunting, cutting wood etc.) I have never heard of such a service. Generally each province has there own type of operation, and it's provincial not federal. Here in Ontario it's called the ministry of natural resources....and everything from fish, wildlife, forestry, etc. is under that umbrella. All I have ever seen them use is Honda's here in Ontario. I don't mean to be ignorant, I just can't get over how a guy in Connecticut know's how many miles are on a quad in a Federal Canadian service I have never heard tell of.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Range Rover

I think ATV frontier,s site had a post about a year ago. Don't know if all of Canada's prov's use them.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

arctic cat TBX or arctic cat 500 manual.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes!! Another point for Arctic Cat!! lol

Old 06-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with the guy that suggested the Honda Rubicon. I have one and I pull a two thousand pound trailer around my 30 acres occationally. It not hard to pull, just stop. I also pull a swisher finish mower and bushhog. Can't beat it with it's straight rear axle, selectable shift, and reliability. I traded a brand new Polaris 600 twin for it. They just killed me on the trade but I was so glad to get rid of the piece of s___t I was happy. The Polaris would not carry a heavy load because the independent suspension would bottom the tires into the fenders, plus the Polaris would not run less than 20 miles per hour, if then. Floor boards are cheap as well as the plastic. Unless you like walking back from a ride don't get a Polaris. The one and only thing I wish Honda would do is give the Rubicon two wheel drive option. I am a big guy so the harder than usual steering doesn't really bother me but it would be a nice option sometimes when you need it.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

shouldhaveboughtjapan, it's ok, we all make mistakes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]Glad to see you've learned from them though. You know, there is an aftermarket part available for the Rubicon made by Warn called the 424 that allows you to engage/disengage 4x4 with the pull of a lever.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have heard of the Warn product, but I don't know anyone who has tried one. Warn is a good company, so I would assume the product works well. Might try one. They are not that expensive. About the Polaris, I have owned about four honda ATV's and around eight Yamaha motocross bikes and never had a problem with any of them. Polaris needs some engineers bad!

Old 06-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

I had a Rubicon with the 424 for a long time and it was a great product. Not really that hard to install at all and works just as advertised. Only thing they don't mention is that it seems to take a little break-in time to be able to switch in and out of 4x4 easily.

Quick Reply: Looking for a work horse ATV