Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Looking for a work horse ATV

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a work horse ATV

I have been looking at the grizzly and saw the KQ.

I will be using my ATV for a work horse, I am going to put a Swisher atachment blade and bucket for starters. I have a 98 wolverine 350 now and use it to pull a small trailer with a gen, air and welder, we also drag our property with it, but would like to get something that can do more work.. I may even put a 3 point atachment on the rear in time.

Any good imput on the units I am looing at or any I have not looked at? I am looking for something that is not confusing for my wife to use. We live in southern AZ and the ground is hard as a rock or slippery in the rains with red clay

My wife thought I was nuts buying an ATV for working on our 4 acres with the horses, but now I can not get HER off my toy.

It is a good time to upgrade as long as she is into using it also.

Don D.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Well you have A LOT of choices for a work horse..b/c just about any ute qualifies for your needs.
I imagine your wanting to upgrade from the Wolvy's 350cc's...but if you don't feel you need much more power then that opens the door for 400 class and 500 class utes that are much cheaper than the Grizzly or KQ 700. On 4 acres, just slowly pulling a trailer I think the Grizz or KQ might be overkill in the power department, they need to be driven hard enough to let their bigger bore engines properly be broken in IMO.
If your not wanting the "fast" utes of 650cc plus then I'd suggest either the Vinson 500 Auto/Manual, the Kodiak 450, or the Polaris Sportsman 500. 500 class engines can get work done just as good or in somecases better than the 650cc+ utes...simply because the big bores are designed more toward play than work and they prefer to be driven faster.
Really though..any of these utes I mentioned would be a big step up from the Wolvy for working..the Wolvy is more sport than ute.
Since your planning on pulling heavy stuff around you should really take a look at the Polaris 500, they weight about 700lbs where as the KQ and Grizz weigh around 600lbs...so the sportsmans can tow more because of their weight.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Purely a work machine? Honda Rubicon, hands down.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

AGREED!!!!

Old 06-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest either a small used tractor or checkout www.arcticcat.com . On the arctic cat web-site you will find a good assortment of work implements.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

I answered this in the other forum, but I would suggest the foreman 500 because...it's air cooled with fan assist, solid rear axle (less cv boots to tear), manual tranny with gears (no cvt belts) geared very low, steel racks, and a proven work horse. The Rubicon is also a good choose, but being liquid cooled, and auto tranny makes for more to breakdown or tear up. For a work machine the less electronics, and technical guru stuff the better. Therefore the honda foreman is undeniably the best work machine available.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Arctic Cat!!!!!!!!!! Ive already outworked my honda fourtrax with it. lol

Old 06-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

Hard to beat the Arctic Cat 500 manual with all the goodies it has to offer. Comes with differential lock too, unlike the hondas and most 4-500cc machines. Believe me about the diff lock, you'll never want to be without it after having it. It really makes an ATV shine in the rough stuff (and in pulling). You will love the liquid cooling too, since it sounds like most of your work will be low-speed stuff.

Check out AC's line of attachments for their quads too, it is awsome.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: RedGoblin
Purely a work machine? Honda Rubicon, hands down.
No doubt about it!
...A Foreman 500 would be a great choice too!

Old 06-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

I would say a Rubicon. I have one and I use to pull gravity wagons with 2 ton of feed, silage wagons and other stuff. So far no problems yet with 2200 miles on a 05 Rubicon. Every thing is stock. Excellent work horse.

Quick Reply: Looking for a work horse ATV