Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Best 500-class Ute

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 500-class Ute

Sun August 13, 2006 3:37 PM (NEW!)

So if I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs, would the 500 have enough power for me?
>>>>>>>>

Yes it would, there is also a 650.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Roody,
I have to agree with others and say the Polaris Sportsman is currently the best 500 class machine.
I just got a leftover 2005 500H.O. ATP for my wife. The ATP tilts the scale at about 730lbs, which is a good bit above the regular Sportsman. The motor is very strong and pulls the machine around very well. No problems with steep hills with 200lbs of gear and pulling a small utility trailer loaded with 2, 120 lb Labs. Also, the motor/drivtrain was around for a long time so it's been proven to be fairly reliable. I know the newer models offer EFI which will only improve the power and response.
good luck in making a decision

Old 08-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

There is no replacement for displacement. A 500 class ATV may have as much HP as a 600 or 700, but when you load them up and chug up a hill the larger bore ATV will out do it every time. A good real world example is with snowmobiles. A Firecat F7 has 140 hp, and will out drag the 800cc competitors. However if you put some weight on that sucker and race up a mountain the 800's will take it.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer

Roody,
You don't indicate how you normally ride most of the time? That makes a big difference. All the machines noted have their strong points; two have not been noted; dealer and fuel economy.

A great dealer near by is well worth one machine over another, particularly if you don't favor one over the other for the kind of riding you normally do.

For day to day riding I do not like to carry extra gas. If you like to go on long rides, a bike with better fuel economy and a larger fuel tank is a real plus. For example ACs have a 6.5 gallon tank, the Polaris and Outty have 5.3 gallon tanks. My 800 EFI Bomb gets significantly better MPG than my older (now sold) AC 500 with a carb. My AC 650 V2 gets significantly better MPG than the 500. I always considered the 500 to be a gas hog but compaired to the Polaris 700 & 800 EFIs it's an econ-o-box. ...and I do not believe gas is going to be getting cheaper any time soon. My friend's Polaris 800 EFI gets ~10-12 MPG, my Outty 800 ~20-25 MPG.

The Polaris is a rugged and very comfortable machine. Handles well too, but if you ride steep hills you will find their manners down right scary on down hills. Their AWD system is excellent in mud, snow, and very sippery conditions, but not so good in rocky conditions. The front plastic box in the front is one of the better design features to come from any mfgr, but personally I'd fire the engineer that designed it. The irregular shape and size makes carrying anything but small items impossible. Good idea, poorly excuted.

AC doesn't ride as well, nor is it as comfortable. It's high CG makes it tippy. The optional sway bar make most of that go away so handling becomes almost first rate with it and certainly the equal of most other same-class bikes. I'd put it's 4x4 system against any on the market, clearly it's one of the best. AC is a workhorse. If you use your machine for work and towing, or rock crawling, hunting and carrying game, it's a great machine. The rack load limits and high CG are real advanages. I also believe it's far and away the best looking machine out there, but of course that's completely subjective.

I really like my Outty 800 max. As a friend says, "Ugly but effective" - like my golf game. It's not the work horse of my AC, but a two-up machine is a real plus for most people and when not carrying two, the extra storage box is handy. If you carry a pax from time to time, most of the mfgr's make a two up machine and I have not noticed the longer WB to be a hinderance in tight situtations. I place it between the Polaris in comfort and handling, and the AC. The Visco Lok is over rated as it presently exists and not nearly as good as the ACs. Works fine in slippery conditions, but not so good in the rocks. Certainly not as good as the ACs. Yes, the brand is expensive, but I shopped the internet and found it at about $1000 under MSRP and got the dealer to throw in some "stuff" like first service, extra key, winch mounting plate and so on. Bought a cheap winch on e-bay and it works fine.

There are other machines out there, but I don't have experience with those so can't comment. I own an AC and Can-Am, and have significant seat time on several Honda and Polaris models, including an 800 EFI.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Range Rover

Gamer - Most of the time (99%), I'll be doing casual riding at average speed on woods trails (dirt/mud between trees). Along the trail, there are many steep hillclimbs, mud pits, rock pits, and throttle wide-open fire roads.

I went to my local Suzuki dealer today and sat on a Vinson 500. It felt really good, and is a good looking quad. Would it be a good choice?

Old 08-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Yes the Vinson is a fun ATV...go to your other topic..."I need some advise.." I told you why it's a better choice there.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Range Rover

Thanks Toyeboy!

Old 08-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

I don't have experience with the Vinson, but the engine is the same as ACs 500. In reading other's posts on this forum, my sense is that it is an overall better handling machine than the AC, but that is just extrapolation from what others have said. I don't know anything about their 4x4 system.

You didn't say where you live or the altitude. You might want to consider fine tuning your carb for your driving style and altitude. That, plus engine break in for the Suzuki engine (they loosen up considerably after the first few hundred miles) will make for a very nice running machine. A good starting point is the Dyno-Jet carb kit. A little expensive but certainly easier than tweeking and fiddling with it yourself (unless you are "the man" with carbs).

I can't speak for Suzuki's auto transmisson, I do know AC's Duramatic on the same engine is almost unbreakable and will last forever.

Assuming you have a Suzuki dealer near-by, and he has a good rep, the Vinson could be a good choice for you. You are certainly doing the right thing by seeing what others have to say, weighing input and deciding for yourself the direction you want to go.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

Thanks again for the reply, Gamer. I'm 99.9% positive I'm getting a Vinson. The Suzuki dealer is 5 minutes away...can't beat that. The closest Arctic Cat dealer is 1.5 hours away. I guess the Vinson sells itself!

Old 08-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Suzuki's CVT tranny's are some of the best in the business as well...very quite and strong. But like all belt driven ATV's if you get in to deep of mud or water the belt will start to slip due to water entering the belt housing, all you do is just drain the water out when that happens of course...but there are snorkels availible that will allow you to safely go up to the handlebars in water.

Quick Reply: Best 500-class Ute