Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

HELP.......neck pains

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006 | 01:39 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default HELP.......neck pains

Thanks for the good imput. But, does anyone know how much those Elka shocks cost and will they stop the "bump steer?"

Old 10-02-2006 | 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 700vtwinman
Thanks for the good imput. But, does anyone know how much those Elka shocks cost and will they stop the "bump steer?"
They aren't cheap. Elka shocks will probably run over a grand or something close to it. Something like 450 for the front and 600 for the rear. You give them your machine, your riding style, your weight and the loads you carry and they custom valve them and stuff as I understand. They make a night and day difference in a BF though. Make it an entirely new machine I'm told. One befitting that wonderful V-twin engine. Would they help the bump steer? Probably. I would bet that bump steer is being caused by the BF suspesion simply not flexing and working as it should which is what I have observed with the BF. It's just all wrong. In any case they'd certainly help the ride. Combined with one of these: ARC Neck Support I bet it would go a long way to helping you out.

Old 10-02-2006 | 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

Mud lites really give you a rough ride compared to stock tires. I would run the stocks until you really need the Mud lites for the terrain. I have a Prarie and the ride is much stiffer with the Mud lites. I have the XTR's on an Outlander and they are way smoother than the non-radials. Good shocks with the stock tires would be a good combo before I would spend the money on another quad.

Old 10-02-2006 | 01:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

700vtwinman,

Although I'm sure nicer shocks would make a big difference, if I were in your shoes, I think I'd start with the cheapest stuff first.

You've mentioned bump steer a couple of times... I think Denton makes a stabalizer that can fit your machine for under $200.

If that doesn't provide enough relief, and if your tires are a bit worn, then I'd look at the less agressive tread radials, like Terra Cross or BigHorns or something.

Old 10-04-2006 | 03:52 PM
|
Pro Rider

I went to my local polaris dealer and rode the new 800 sportsman. They have about 20 acres with trails, ruts, ditches and open fields to ride. WOW......that thing rides like it is on air. The best ride I have ever had. And there was no bump steer at all. I hit a ditch at about a 30 degree angle and was just using my right hand on the throttle and it did not jerk one bit. AMAZING. I had my bf750 with me because I was heading out to the deer lease so I unloaded it to ride with the sp800. That way I could get a direct comparision on the same terrain. The v-twin motor is awsome, but it stops there. With the body roll that I have on the front and the bump steer along with the front end diving in corners, I could not keep up the the guy on the sp800 through the trail route. Then we lined up on the 150 yard field they have and raced. HE BEAT ME BY 1-2 QUADS!!!!!!! Holy cow. Whats up with that? Anyway, I have might sigts now on the sportsman 800 X2 deluex.

Old 10-08-2006 | 02:23 AM
Range Rover

I have 4 herniated disks in my neck. I ride a 500 Sportsman, on rides as long as 80 miles in one day with very little trouble. I absolutly love the ride. Our last family cook out, me and my wife rode her cousins Honda Foreman. All I can say is I hurt for two days, and my wife said we are never leaving the house with out the Sportsman again when we go there if I ever want her to ride with me.

Old 10-12-2006 | 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

700Vtwin man- make sure you get some seat time on an outlander 800 before you settle on the Polaris 800. I thought the Outlander rode about as smooth as the Polaris machines and was a far, far better trail machine. Power wise...well.....I'll let you experience the 800 rotax for yourself. Bring a change of underwear.

Old 10-12-2006 | 09:01 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
700Vtwin man- make sure you get some seat time on an outlander 800 before you settle on the Polaris 800. I thought the Outlander rode about as smooth as the Polaris machines and was a far, far better trail machine. Power wise...well.....I'll let you experience the 800 rotax for yourself. Bring a change of underwear.
The dealer where I rode the sp800 also sells can-am's. This next week, I am going to ride the 800can-am in depth to get a good feel for it. These are the only two quads makers I am considering now b/c of ride issue as well as power.

Old 10-13-2006 | 04:43 AM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

vtwin man i know we have done some arguing, but heres my thoughts. with the outty you can remove the back seat if you get a max and install your rack extension and you also have an option for a little utility bed to put on the back rack for 1 up use. you get your 3yr warranty and i do believe they have the free 6mo promotion still going on right now. ill check in the morn. and let you know. as far as an 800 goes, i have rode with quite a few 800's on my 650 and been doin everything they have. 300ft in the sand im right there if they flinch im gone. again its your money your decision, but i can am! can you?lol!

Old 10-13-2006 | 04:52 AM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BBR650
vtwin man i know we have done some arguing, but heres my thoughts. with the outty you can remove the back seat if you get a max and install your rack extension and you also have an option for a little utility bed to put on the back rack for 1 up use. you get your 3yr warranty and i do believe they have the free 6mo promotion still going on right now. ill check in the morn. and let you know. as far as an 800 goes, i have rode with quite a few 800's on my 650 and been doin everything they have. 300ft in the sand im right there if they flinch im gone. again its your money your decision, but i can am! can you?lol!
So, do you think the can-am 650 2 seater would do good? I keep think when a 500cc quad was all we would ever need and we did things on those that was quite amazing. I really don't want to drop down to a 500, especially the polaris sportsman 500 X2, b/c with the amount the quad already weighs plus two riders, I would think it might struggle going up a hill. And, what ever I decide to get, I plan on using for many years as my main trail, exploring and work quad. The bf750 will then be converted into a monster mudder where it really would shine the best.

IMO, I really think that if I went with can-am, the 650 two seater would work perfect. What do you think.

BTW, I never considered us arguing, I was working out some bugs in my brain....LOL.

Quick Reply: HELP.......neck pains