Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Wish It Would Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish It Would Snow

Im waiting for the first deep snow, I can't wait to try out my Eiger in the deep snow, I have my Cycle Country Plow mounted and ready to go. From reading this forum in the past im having second thoughts how my Eiger is going to perform in the deep snow but I just thought of something new, I noticed the weight of the plow is heavy and when I lift the plow the front end of my Eiger really drops down so im thinking the added weight of the plow will improve the 4 wheel drive front axle traction, plus the low range the Eiger has is really geared low and that will help push the plow when its down pushing heavy snow. The neighbor has a 700 Polaris with a plow and im worried that his Polaris will out-perform my Eiger pushing snow, all I expect is my Eiger will match the Polaris. I was guilty bragging to him that my Eiger is just as good as his Polaris except his Polaris has a faster top speed. Im worried, I don't wanta him to see me stuck in the snow with my Eiger. If you guys that have experience in pushing snow could you give me some advice and tips on the right way to do it so I look good doing it so I won't look bad in front of my neighbor?

Old 11-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have my plow at an angle so while I'm pushing it, the snow will move off the plow as not to over load it.
My drive way is down hill, so I push the snow towards the road.
I don't plow snow the full width of the blade, I usually use 3/4 to 1/2 blade depending on how deep the snow is. I find if you do that, snow is not coming off both sides of the blade, just the side it's angled for.
I make my run down the driveway and leave the pile at the bottom of the drive and then back up to the top for the next run.
Once I have worked my way across the driveway, I move the pile from the front of the drive off to the side.
In your case you could push it to the front of your neighbors driveway making his job harder for the Polaris, unless you like the guy.
We have ditches, so I then push the snow into the ditch and then I'm done.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have 2 driveways, each facing a different road, one is a steep downhill and one is a 60' long slight uphill to the road. I have very little side to side areas to push the snow, I figured there is an open spot in my yard close to where the 2 driveways meet and I was planning on pushing the snow from both driveways into one spot and pile up the snow as high as I can and I have a narrow sidewalk with high curb stones thats too narrow for the plow. My neighbor pushes snow with his blade straight all the time and he pushes all the snow from his driveway into a big pile in the middle of the road then he tilts the blade and pushes that pile to the side of the road and on to my sidewalk, to push the snow off of my sidewalk I was planning on keeping my blade up above the curb stones and pushing it back on the road and then pushing that snow back across the street to my neighbors sidewalk and it might be rough pushing the snow up the short steep back driveway, there is going to be a spot where the plow won't touch ground even with the plow down. My neighbor has no yard to push his snow at, he pushes his snow aross the street in front of my yard, but im going to end up pushing his snow back to him I just need my ATV to match how fast and how much snow his ATV can push. It will be fun.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Why not just tell him to plow your driveway and his. In exchange he can push his snow where you put yours. You can go riding while he is plowing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

I wish it would snow here, but I have a better chance on winning a million dollars. Wishing for that too. I have an 8-year old son that would love to able to ride in the snow. Maybe somebody can UPS some down here.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider

I never plowed snow with a ATV, and I don' wanta look stupid doing it in front of the neighbors cause I have a good reputation with the neighbors as being the most intelligent and the best looking man in town. I was worried about either getting my Eiger stuck or stalling it when pushing snow so I kinda figured I can push the snow in layers pushing the snow with the plow in the full lift postion, then lowering the plow and pushing the bottom layer again, I was thinking pushing snow that way is the safe way of doing it instead of pushing one big giant pile at a time. "pile" of snow.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

You have an excelent reputation here too! Tell us more about how good you are. We really do want to hear it!

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Remind me to stay away from that town.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

MotoF150, just a suggestion. Just start pushing the snow and you will learn. Don't go out acting like you know it all because you will quickly prove otherwise.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: MotoF150
The neighbor has a 700 Polaris with a plow and im worried that his Polaris will out-perform my Eiger pushing snow, all I expect is my Eiger will match the Polaris. I was guilty bragging to him that my Eiger is just as good as his Polaris except his Polaris has a faster top speed. Im worried, I don't wanta him to see me stuck in the snow with my Eiger. [quote]

This coming from a Polaris guy I think you are pretty much hosed already [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Hope you dont have to insert foot into mouth [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] LOL Just kidding bud..

you guys that have experience in pushing snow could you give me some advice and tips on the right way to do it so I look good doing it so I won't look bad in front of my neighbor?
Ok I will be nice... Heres some tips... First off I would invest in a set of those Groucho marx big nose and moustache glasses so noone recognises you..

Second: [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Have not plowed snow with a atv, I have a riding mower with a plow and that works fine. I just take half swipes down the driveway. Learned this the hard way, Make sure at the start of the season you push the snow way way off the driveway, as the season progresses that snow will build up and you will have nowhere to go with it. If it gets too deep on the sides of the driveway I raise my blade up high and run down the burm to push it over (Ie.. the left hand burm of a driveway, I angle my blade to the left and push it over layer by layer)
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

When you push snow if you angle the blade to the left or right it will push snow way better than if you leave it straight. I hardly ever use the straight setting.

Is your Eiger a 4x4? If not you may want to buy a set of chains and a few sandbags and put them on the traction wheels and on the back racks. I dont know how well chains work on a 4x4 on the front. I have seen big quads moving big mounds of snow, the kind left by county plows with no chains. I do know on my rider if I didnt have chains and weights I wouldnt go anywhere. Try it without first and if it dont work, run to your atv shop and buy chains, if you wait they will be gone.

Also when you get your first swipe going get a little speed up and that snow will fly off the front blade. Just play with it, you will get the hang of it. I love to plow.. It is just a kick in the butt.

And hey If you do get stuck with the Eiger I will loan you my Craftsman rider to plow with. Sorry... Couldnt resist..

Hope the tips help!

PS: If you live on a busy street, it may not be a bad idea to invest in a flashing beacon. I have been plowing in the street and almost have been hit by a driver not paying attention.. A $30.00 light may save you life.

Quick Reply: Wish It Would Snow