Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

All Honda's Are Beltless

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Honda's Are Beltless

Originally posted by: HONDARACER9551
i agree the day u have to choose a belt driven atv ill quit riding i tride pulling a full hay wagon with a polaris sportmans 500 HO it sat there and just squeeled. i got out my honda rancher 500 it pulled it with no problem at all.
I would guess the belt was out of adjustment on the Polaris as if properly set up and operated it would have spun the tires or bogged the engine down.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: propnut
99%. WOW. you can downshift? upshift? vary the the engine RPM by shifting? you really think the engine braking is better with a Kawasaki belt drive? (you've driven a few miles of tought trails on a Rubicon, right?). And you can vary the engine braking by shifting into one of the other 5 ratios, right? and of course, your CVT gets better mileage than a manual, right? You know you can maintain a steady speed without moving your thumb, because you do all those utility things like aerate and fertilize and because your belt CVT works different than every other one out there.....and you liked it better than the manual version of your ATV.....because you rode both to compare...and it's definately more fun letting it shift itself. hey, you know what, it must be even more fun to let it steer itself too. Maybe you should just let someone else ride it!!! That would be the most FUN!!!

Granted, it may be my opinion, but it is based more on fact and experience than your speculation or bias. at least I can admit when a feature on another ATV is better. I try not to post like this, but people like V2racer, where swamplites and 70 mph Arctic Cats (with racing spark plugs) are and have the best at everything are just irritating. Hopefully people can see through the lack of integrity with your posts. You bring nothing to the post but bravado or ego. You've probably got more posts than miles. You try to associate yourself as a winner or a man because of the quad you ride. It's really kind of sad.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>

Im crushed Propeanuts. And who cares how many miles i have? And yes, i prefer EVERYTHING a CVT has over a manual, so what? And for your information, i had a honda fourtrax, and i still like a CVT better. It sounds like you really got your panties in a bunch over this. Racing spark plugs? Hmmmmmmm. There was a lot of integerity. Associate myself as a winner, or man by the quad? Not likley. I can show that by supporting a family, and still affording a quad like mine. When you grow some bigger "propeanuts" you can come ride with a man anytime[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

***Post Deleted, but not by Moderator***

Old 11-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Edited[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01
***Post Deleted, but not by Moderator***
There .. all's good now

Old 11-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

CRAP!!!!! i keep missing the good stuff.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

99%. WOW. you can downshift? upshift? vary the the engine RPM by shifting? you really think the engine braking is better with a Kawasaki belt drive? (you've driven a few miles of tought trails on a Rubicon, right?). And you can vary the engine braking by shifting into one of the other 5 ratios, right? and of course, your CVT gets better mileage than a manual, right? You know you can maintain a steady speed without moving your thumb, because you do all those utility things like aerate and fertilize and because your belt CVT works different than every other one out there.....and you liked it better than the manual version of your ATV.....because you rode both to compare...and it's definately more fun letting it shift itself. hey, you know what, it must be even more fun to let it steer itself too. Maybe you should just let someone else ride it!!! That would be the most FUN!!!

Granted, it may be my opinion, but it is based more on fact and experience than your speculation or bias. at least I can admit when a feature on another ATV is better. I try not to post like this, but people like V2racer, where swamplites and 70 mph Arctic Cats (with racing spark plugs) are and have the best at everything are just irritating. Hopefully people can see through the lack of integrity with your posts. You bring nothing to the post but bravado or ego. You've probably got more posts than miles. You try to associate yourself as a winner or a man because of the quad you ride. It's really kind of sad.
Let's not get silly here. Your exaggeration works the other way too. Why do we need engines?? If they put pedals on quads, you wouldn't need an engine. See where I'm going? There are legitimate advantages of clutches over CVT and vice versa. The big advantage I like with the CVT is that it lets me concentrate more on the terrain I'm rolling over rather than which gear I'm in. I've ridden semi-auto quads. To me, it's just an exercise of constantly changing gears which is always required when riding over varying terrain. If there is a market to which a CVT belongs, it is the ATV market.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

don't worry, it was pretty lame

JD, I understand some of the benefits of a CVT. I use my CVT too. Anytime I am doing something where being in the wrong gear would put me in trouble, it would be foolish for me not to be in auto. I also use it for lazy rides. But I also have a choice and can use the manual version. Really the best of both worlds. What I would like to see is the belt type CVT offer the same features. They do it in cars, I hope its only a matter of time. To simply say the CVT does 99% of everything better is just ridiculous. There would't be any manuals left.

But if there's anywhere today's simple belt CVT absolutely belongs, its the snowmobile and golf cart. ATVs could use and deserve more.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

don't worry, it was pretty lame

JD, I understand some of the benefits of a CVT. I use my CVT too. Anytime I am doing something where being in the wrong gear would put me in trouble, it would be foolish for me not to be in auto. I also use it for lazy rides. But I also have a choice and can use the manual version. Really the best of both worlds. What I would like to see is the belt type CVT offer the same features. They do it in cars, I hope its only a matter of time. To simply say the CVT does 99% of everything better is just ridiculous. There would't be any manuals left.

But if there's anywhere today's simple belt CVT absolutely belongs, its the snowmobile and golf cart. ATVs could use and deserve more.
Except for Honda,90% of Utility ATVs are belt drive. Even Suzuki, the last hold out with the 5 speed version Vinson and Eiger will only offer belts on there new line up. There a reason people pay more to get away from shifting. Down shifting upshifting on a utility ATV on the trails is a fun as shifting a truck in city driving.

As for snowmobiling ,try the sport,you may give up ATVs. The fastest most powerful ATV made is like a mid size mediocre sled in performance.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

You should have looked at my photos before you posted. The SRX is one of many brands and models I've had over the years. If we got more snow, I probably wouldn't have an ATV - I'd have a bike and a sled. By comparison ATVs are a compromise and generally slow. Their versitality is both a + and - (one RV instead of two, that does as well as neither). If I did not have experience with belt drives, I would not have posted about this subject. Most of my experience with belts is with sleds. I've spent many hours trying to tune out the inefficiencies of the belt drive. The most powerful ATV is slow even when compared to a beginner's sled. There isn't any way (even) a Can Am 800 is keeping up to almost any sled. We've ridden with a mixed crowd enough to know ATVs just can't even come close to hanging, they just hold up the group.

The majority of ATVs are belts - because they have force fed you belts. You really have little choice. Marketing departments have done their jobs and a lot of people just roll over (and turn into a mouth piece for their favorite manufacturer).

One thing I have noticed is that the brand-loyal mentality is strong in both sports.

Many of us disagree that shifting on the trail is like stop and go with a car, but I do realize we are a minority. Whatever I buy I prefer to have the ability to select ratios. When I drive for fun, I do not think any part of it is a chore, unlike stop and go commuting. The more involved I am, the funner. How someone could compare the two is a wonder to me. The more decisions left to the driver the more intense it is. Some just can't be bothered with challenges.

Quick Reply: All Honda's Are Beltless