Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

CVT isn't that bad, no is it...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT isent that bad no is it...

once again this is my own opinion and what ive seen
not going to say you don't have a right to your own opinion, but I've seen a rabbit pulled out of a hat. doesn't mean that's where rabbits come from.
you my be right in the automobile world but im not too shure in the rest
so, you saw a fuji triple with a CVT run against a fuji triple with a manual? and how many piston-port 650 2-stroke ATVs are out there?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MotoF150
ok they are going to make cars with belt drives, does that mean you won't be able to drive them in the rain in fear of getting the drive belt wet? OK suppose when you started to go out for a drive on ur new belt drive car the sun was shinning and it was dry, then all of the sudden a thunderstrorm pops up and it rains and ur 20 miles from home with ur new belt drive car, what do you do? Stop and wait for the storm to pass then drive home? Excuse me, The Justy was CHAIN drive, not belt drive. I looked it up.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Variable speed and constant speed belt drive systems have been used in various farm equipment for many years. We had a combine in the early '50s that used a version of this. Big heavy machine and we used it for years without having to change the belt. This is a tried and reliable system of power transmission that has been used in many applications. I would expect a car manufacturer that is putting this system on the road would have tested it for use under adverse conditions. ATV's that have problems with a wet belt have generally been run under extremely hard conditions which require the addition of snorkels and such to conquer. When properly outfitted, at least from what I have read in various forums, the belt drive units perform as well, and according to some, better than the standard transmission ATVs. There will no doubt be discussion ad infinitum on this just as there is about so many other controversial topics.

Unfortunately there are always a few who will never stop and consider the points being made by those with a different perspective. It seems there is always one, or a few, who are unable to stay on topic and make logical, valid arguments to support their take on things without resorting to laughably wild statements.

Hopefully this interesting thread will not degenerate to that level. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i guess you didnt understand what i typed so i'll try this again. I saw a motorcycle (you know those 2 wheel bikes) not a atv w/ a fugi 650 polaris snowmobile engine w/ the polaris clutching on it on a drag strip racing agaist a zx 900 kawasaki 5 speed and beat him in the 1/8 mile. seeing was beleaving.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Recently my GF and I leased a 07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD w/CVT trans. It's pretty impresive when using the Auto-Stick function. Cant wait for snow!!

Old 11-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

take this into consideration, with cvt you are always in the right gear, you dont lose time shifting. you can think your the best at shifting all you want, your still not going to shift faster than a cvt accelerates. a cvt robs a little more power than a gear driven, but so do auto trannys in cars. its a trade off of consistancy vs. power. most of the time if you get your belt wet if you will sit with your bike running it will dry your belt enough to let you go on about your trip. if you dont believe it your screwy because ive done this more than once creek hopping. hitting a creek at 30+mph that is 1.5-2ft deep will do that its to be expected.you can down a cvt all you want but belts are alot cheaper to replace than having to split a case to fix shift drums that a gear jammer yanks on all the time. i would put an outlander 400 up against that eiger any day.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

You guys are brainwashed, I bet you guys never rode any gear drive ATV, in a gear drive its the rider that controls what gear he's in in a belt drive you don't know, in my Eiger I have 5 speeds with a high and low range that means I have 10 gears to select I can feel secure selecting a lower gear to climb a vertical hill or going over a 3 foot wide log. I feel safe, confident and secure in my gear drive that I have enough gear selection that I can go anywhere, you guys in ur belt drives have no faith that it will shift to the correct gear when needed, thats why ur afraid to take that steep vertical hill cause you have no control of ur machine and some of you guys wouldn't even know how to ride a gear drive machine, you may have more power and beat me in a flat out drag race on smooth level ground, but when we are riding thru hills and tight trails my gear drive Eiger will be in the lead and when that deep water or mud hole comes up I won't be afraid to run thru it, but you guys riding ur belt drives will be calling out for ur mommy to find a trail to go around and what did you pay for ur Can Am 400? What? $2000 more than a Eiger? Any gear drive will do more and go places where any belt drive can't go, the only thing that concerns you guys is how fast it can go, being the fastest don't mean it can go anywhere. My gear drive Eiger will not only out-climb and out mud ride ur 400 Can Am , it will also out-climb and and out mud ride the Can Am 800.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

You've proven your ignorance about belt drives. They don't have "gears" in the traditional sense. There is no need to know what "gear" you are in. That's the advantage. The engine is ALWAYS in its power range. I have all the faith in the world that the transmission will keep the engine in its power range on hill climbs or water crossings.

The only way you're going to get a belt transmission to burn the belt is by filling the airbox with water. At that point, you have bigger worries than your belt. Engines typically don't like to inhale water. If that's a regular occurance with that Eiger then I'll bet that thing doesn't last to the end of next year. But then 'billies, good ol' boys, or whatever you want to call them typically don't take care of their equipment anyway. I'll bet you have about 3 - 4 rusted out cars or trucks behind your trailer too along with last week's laundry tied to the clothesline.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

I saw a motorcycle (you know those 2 wheel bikes) not a atv w/ a fugi 650 polaris snowmobile engine w/ the polaris clutching on it on a drag strip racing agaist a zx 900 kawasaki 5 speed and beat him in the 1/8 mile.
I understand exactly what you were talking about. Apples and oranges. I guess if they raced the 1/4 mile or on a track your opinion would have been different, but that hybrid isn't the only thing that can beat a ZX900 in the 1/8th.

More to my point, how does this relate to an ATV. How many piston port 2 stroke utility ATVs are there, and how critical is drag racing to utility ATVs? Why aren't the competitive 450 ATV racers equipped with CVTs?

Old 11-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

Originally posted by: MotoF150
You guys are brainwashed, I bet you guys never rode any gear drive ATV, in a gear drive its the rider that controls what gear he's in in a belt drive you don't know, in my Eiger I have 5 speeds with a high and low range that means I have 10 gears to select I can feel secure selecting a lower gear to climb a vertical hill or going over a 3 foot wide log. I feel safe, confident and secure in my gear drive that I have enough gear selection that I can go anywhere, you guys in ur belt drives have no faith that it will shift to the correct gear when needed, thats why ur afraid to take that steep vertical hill cause you have no control of ur machine and some of you guys wouldn't even know how to ride a gear drive machine, you may have more power and beat me in a flat out drag race on smooth level ground, but when we are riding thru hills and tight trails my gear drive Eiger will be in the lead and when that deep water or mud hole comes up I won't be afraid to run thru it, but you guys riding ur belt drives will be calling out for ur mommy to find a trail to go around and what did you pay for ur Can Am 400? What? $2000 more than a Eiger? Any gear drive will do more and go places where any belt drive can't go, the only thing that concerns you guys is how fast it can go, being the fastest don't mean it can go anywhere. My gear drive Eiger will not only out-climb and out mud ride ur 400 Can Am , it will also out-climb and and out mud ride the Can Am 800.
you definatly have proved your ignorance with this post, apparently you can not read either. i dont have a 400, but in 1 phone call i can have any pick of the outlander lineup to prove you wrong. see we have 2 gears,high and low. dont need to wrorry about 10 gears if you wanna lug up a hill keep it in high if you wanna gear down shift it to low. until you understand the cvt set up i think you should stop posting. as far as you think through a trail i beg to differ. i would run you on gncc type course any day of the week. unlike these other guys though i will not be waisting my time to travel half way across the states to prove another 'KEYBOARD' racer wrong. forced water entry is the problem with belt drives, that and the people that own them. i will admit i have slipped my belt but it was by my own stupidity. you cannot hold the brake and stall it up b/c you are smoking the belt. nothing a little sandpaper cant fix anyhow.

Quick Reply: CVT isn't that bad, no is it...