Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Carb vs EFI when use in water

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb vs EFI when use in water

What one stands up better in water?
I have a Vinson' and I am wanting to get a second ATV. I was thinking of the Kingquad 700....The trail where we go hunting every fall is loaded with water and I have never had a problem with my Vinson so far...I've seen a few complaints on here about EFI not being so hot in the water,so I'm unsure about getting a EFI.

thanks for any help

Old 12-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

how deep of water!? just barley over tires or up to the carb and air box??

Old 12-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'd say about half way up the ATV.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

i would say fi would be ok but if i were you i would stick to carb B/C if you do get high enought to enter the barb atleast it is fixable on the trail unlike efi in most cases!

Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard questions asked but have not heard of any problems.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Well you can look at my pics... I like to take my grizzly deep... and I ain't runnin no snorkel setup... My buddy tried following on his 06 Grizz in some deep water, and sucked some gunk up in one of his hoses... choking out the engine... (which then allowed for water to come in thru the exhaust... I've got an 02 Griz, and had an 06... and I've taken both of those in some deep stuff, and never had a problem. (the air vents are really high on the new Griz... right up under where the old gas tank was... I love it.)

Old 12-05-2006, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

I have seen a friend sink his King Quad on numerous occasion and I've sank it as well. When I say sink I mean sink it totally as in play submarine commander. While this has necessitated draining water and mud out of air boxes and belt housings and exhaust pipes and the like he's never had any sort of problems with the fuel injection system. Of course when you get home you have to do a good fluid flush and refill. I dunno but it might not be as bad as cleaning gunk out of all of those carb parts. I hate that job on my carb bike.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

I don't see anything about either carb or efi that would be a problem. Water resistance should all be related to other features of machine. For instance, the Arctic Cat 500 5 speed is carb with totally sealed 5 speed tranny and is one of very best in the wet. The Arctic Cat 700 efi belt is not as reliable in wet because of belt snorkle and not because of efi.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

AC has a good rep for being water tight, hens the quote "the only cats that like water". Ive stood on my seat plenty of times, and my diff oil is clear, and my belt has never slipped

Old 12-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you were standing on your seat, were you actually in water? I've heard that belt drives can't go anywhere near water. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That if you even pull them out of the garage they slip? Is that true?

Quick Reply: Carb vs EFI when use in water