Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Glove type handguards

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glove type handguards

Anyone use the type of handguards that you put your hands inside? They are flexible and suposed to be able to remove your hands quickly.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember you do have a problem keeping that Rincon upright. Make sure you can get your hands out quickly.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

I've used them, they work pretty good. Easy to get to all of the controls, and cut down on the wind alot.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Are you talking about the big mits? They work well to keep the hands warm.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

my recommendation is rheostat controlled electric hand warmers. a pair of ski gloves and my warmers are good to 20F (coldest I went riding last year). If it gets colder than that, some sort of wind protection will be needed (like powermadds or Moose plastic handguards). A lot depends on how fast you will be going and the ultimate low temps you will see. I just don't like the idea (have not tried) of mitts. Maybe they work well.....Catterman says they work so I think you've got an answer.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

Rode with a couple of guys last weekend that had the Kimpex heated grips, and they worked very well they said ( it was about 22`F when we unloaded on Sat.), I have a set of the soft covers but have yet to use them.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

We used to call these Hippo Hands. They were alright on road/touring bikes. A better solution for dirt bikes was Elephant Ears. You could just use a plastic place mat in a pinch. Just wrap them around the grips and controls, short dimension in line with bars, and zip tie in position. Malcolm Smith still sells these for very muddy courses and work good for keeping mud off gloves and grips. The Hippo Hands were no good on dirt bikes because when you lost the grips it was too much hassle to get back in control. They should work for easy going on utility machine though.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a set that I use every winter. For me they work very well. No problems getting my hands out fast.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

The pair my dad had on his use to push on the throttle when he wasn't expecting it... one time it made him do a reverse donut on 2 wheels before it tossed him off... lol... I don't like them... They don't work well when you have a thumb throttle extension installed... They also don't work well if you sometimes stand when you ride, as they can hold open your throttle...

heated grips with heated thumb throttle work much better... My friends all tell me their hands are sweating in their gloves it gets so warm... (-20 degrees windchill is about the coldest we've used them though... )

Old 12-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My last ride was in the 20's and even with super-insulated hunting gloves my hands would get cold when we were on more open (high speed) trails.

I just finished installing Maier handguards. I think they will block just enough wind at high speed.

I like that they are made to fit specific models, shaped to fit around the master cylinder and controls, and that they mount by bolting to custom lever pivots... Downside I suppose is that they aren't cheap.

Quick Reply: Glove type handguards