Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

how much snow can i get through?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default how much snow can i get through?

you better have chains and added extra weight on back of the wheeler because you not going to have any traction to speak of w/out them and are going to be very limited on what you can plow. you need a 4x4

Old 12-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: Catterman
My 2x4 Honda will do about 3-4 inches of snow, that is about it.

As for plowing, you are wasting your money, it won't do a darn thing. You need a heavier 4x4 with lots of ground clearance.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

Like our Arctic Cats that bust through walls of snow drifts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

Playing in the snow is about as much fun as you can have on a ATV.The more power your 4x4 has the more snow it will go thought. Look on my page their are some pictures that I posted of my 800outty in about 18' of nice soft snow.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mykool61679
got a rancher but the most snow ive had since i had it is a foot, and "oh boy" was it fun!! just watch them 90 degree turns they turn in to 720s real quick!!! but fun though!! your 250 recon will go faster than the police, thats really all that matters isnt it?

ah faster then the cops.. your right.. that is what matters in the snow. and yes they will go faster. while there spinning and turning and trying to get u. your gone

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 12-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

There are a few major factors to think about in regards to plowing snow. I'll give you a few that I don't think your considering that important:

1. Wet snow

2. Distance you have to plow

3. Pivoting plow

Pushing wet heavy snow with a 2x4 isn't going to be fun if you are on compact snow and ice. I can't say how well your machine would do honestly because I have never rode anything with the same ccs. However, if you have a plow that pivots from side to side this will help greatly. That way, the wet snow will not continue to stack up as you push with your plow. If you have a plow that just stays in one position (straight forward) this is going to be a problem. But by being able to sluff off some of the weight as you go to the side will help a great deal. Then on your next run, just fill up about 25% of the blade and leave the rest open. You can get her done. It later become a question of how much time do you want to spend (it would be easier with something with more power so you can go faster) and how hard you want to work your machine.

Old 12-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Snow can be fun on a sport ATV if you have the right tires and lots of HP. I had a KFX 700 with 25in tires and pipes and it would go in deep snow if you put your weight on the back tires.The biggest problem was Turing but it sure was fun.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Range Rover

yup, mine pivots....but also, if i got deeper snow, couldnt i just put the plow down, but not all the way down......so, say do the top 3 inches on the first pass and then on the second pass do the rest of it.....does that work or no?

Old 12-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yep. That will work. You can get all kinds of things to work. It will most likely become more a matter of what works well as time goes on. All depends on what your dealing with. My driveway is about 1/10th of a mile. Maybe more. On a bad day...it can take me a hour-hour and a half to plow it. If I had to make multiple passes on a single run it would get real irritating real quick. But if you just have your average joe suburban driveway no problem.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

you should just get a John deere 345 with like a 20HP Vtwin and a snow blower if it takes you an hour and a half to do that driveway.

i Use my tractor with a 48 inch blower to do it and it only take me like 45 / 50 min to finish it.

and the now cant ever build up cause your not pushing it haha..

the only time i ever had a problem was when it got insanly wet and heavy and i clogged the blower.

then i used the blower like a plow! lol

Old 12-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider

oh, and im blowing about 1200 feet of driveway, 400 paved, 800 gravel.

Quick Reply: how much snow can i get through?