Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Pull Starter...2006 SP 450"s

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pull Starter...2006 SP 450"s

How many of you out there never used or tried there pull starter yet?.....I never even tried mine yet on the two 450 Sportsmans yet!!!.I don't know if I should or keep the seal tight. I know it can be re-sealed again ....But is there a chance it may leak after using it?.....I just don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and need to use it and it frozed or full of water. If there is water in there will I know about it? Thanks....Caper................
It still would be intresting to see how many never used there pull starter at all since they got there quads.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if water was in there you would also have water in the oil, i just jacked mine up doing this, all i had to do is silicone the handle and the vent/drain at the bottom!! well 500$$ later im glad to share this info with ya! i ended up putting a big bore kit in my rancher, along with a k&n air filter, hmf exhaust, rejetted, and snorkled, all together around 750$$ parts and labor. the only good part is more power , but i think that i would have rather not messed it up to start with. i got water in my oil via the pull start (which i never used to start with, i think it is safer just to carry 5$$ pair of jumper cables), it ended up getting the cylinder out of round causing it to smoke like cheech and chong!!!

Old 12-29-2006, 10:01 PM

How can the water from the pull starter get in the oil????? That means the oil could enter the pull starter....RIGHT.......I don't understand that one....Caper.......

Old 12-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it couldnt get in the oil unless there was a crank seal bad. chances are if you had water in the recoil and it froze you couldnt start it w/ the electric starter either because it would freeze the fly wheel. i have pull started the old t.blazer more then once when i had a bad battery and never had a problem and i beleave we have pulled the recoil out of the 450 to check it buit didnt start it and put it back to seal w/ no problem.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 PM

Thanks....Just what I wanted to here....Caper...Stendori to the rescue....LOL

Old 12-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

caper, stop it now, my heads starting to swell w/ all your praise lol.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:40 PM

Well o.k I will stop.....But one last thing ......you do have alot of input here on the Polaris form that REALLY is helpful comparied to some of the posts I read.....EX. like the broked drive chain on the 2006 Sportsman For example....Hmmmm that is really helpful for a newbie to read.........Caper.......

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka
How can the water from the pull starter get in the oil????? That means the oil could enter the pull starter....RIGHT.......I don't understand that one....Caper.......
Anyone that keeps their ATV in the mud knows that if your battery ever went dead and you had to start your motor with the recoil starter you would be out of luck. Most of the time the recoil starter is full of mud and once pulled out will not recoil back.

The mud that packs into the recoil starter case is in direct contact with the rear crank seal. If left long enough the mud can damage the rear seal and leak mud and water into your motor. This can and will cause major damage to your motor.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Maybe this is only hondas?

Old 12-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

w/ all my pull start polaris ive never had mud get into the recoil and beleave me between the wife and i we see alot. you have to make sure that the recoil handle is 100% sealed into the holder and shouldnt have any problems. thanks caper!!

Old 01-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stendori
w/ all my pull start polaris ive never had mud get into the recoil and beleave me between the wife and i we see alot. you have to make sure that the recoil handle is 100% sealed into the holder and shouldnt have any problems. thanks caper!!
I don't ever want mud to get in, that's why I go AROUND mudholes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Pull Starter...2006 SP 450"s