Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

decided on new atv: outlander 400 XT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007 | 12:19 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default decided on new atv: outlander 400 XT

the shop up the road is trying to get rid of their 06 lineup and they have a red and green 400 outlander(can am) XT left. They retail around 7100 I think new and they knocked her down to 6299. Thats the one with the 2000# winch and accessories. I cant decide between the 2 colors though. I hunt alot so green is a plus, but the red just looks more sporty and is a change form my old black bayou 300.

They had a 800 outlander there and man o man does that thing look good but im not forking out 9-10k for a ATV!!!

anywayz, whats some simple mods you can do to these in your own garage to get a few more ponies out of them? Would a muffler help?
filter?

etc etc?

I wasnt planning on getting anything yet, but the deal seemed pretty good, plus Can Am has the 3 year warranty going on for no extra charge. All the yamaha's I looked at only had the 6month one? Another reason for going Can Am was because the dealer is only 5mins from me, and everyone else is over 45mins away! One of my buds has the outlander 400 also and its been in some areas I didnt think a ATV could go. Its not the biggest or the smallest ATV, so I think ill be happy with the middle of the road model for now

Old 01-17-2007 | 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

You didn't say what your going to do with your new quad but if it's general riding the 400 Bomb fits the bill. It's a good overall quad just like a Z400. I've read the 400 rips pretty good for a 400. I think you will like it.

Old 01-17-2007 | 12:44 PM
|
Trailblazer

mainly ride the kids around, hunt, and work on the farm some with it. Im sure it will see some trails and mud, but nothing really extreme. I mainly want a machine for cruising and hunting with.

From what I have read on here, they seem pretty good. Maybe later on, ill spend some cash and get the 650+ CC models, but for now the 400 should be good all around

Old 01-17-2007 | 05:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Congrats on the new ride!! Can-Am has some nice rides, with a pretty penny! Unlike you, i needed the biggest quad Arctic Cat made last year, so i got a 650. A 400 probably would have been fine, but im a power freak!!

Old 01-17-2007 | 06:19 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

Originally posted by: Crazyfarmer
the shop up the road is trying to get rid of their 06 lineup and they have a red and green 400 outlander(can am) XT left. They retail around 7100 I think new and they knocked her down to 6299. Thats the one with the 2000# winch and accessories. I cant decide between the 2 colors though. I hunt alot so green is a plus, but the red just looks more sporty and is a change form my old black bayou 300.

They had a 800 outlander there and man o man does that thing look good but im not forking out 9-10k for a ATV!!!

anywayz, whats some simple mods you can do to these in your own garage to get a few more ponies out of them? Would a muffler help?
filter?

etc etc?

I wasnt planning on getting anything yet, but the deal seemed pretty good, plus Can Am has the 3 year warranty going on for no extra charge. All the yamaha's I looked at only had the 6month one? Another reason for going Can Am was because the dealer is only 5mins from me, and everyone else is over 45mins away! One of my buds has the outlander 400 also and its been in some areas I didnt think a ATV could go. Its not the biggest or the smallest ATV, so I think ill be happy with the middle of the road model for now

Hey, Crazyfarmer, get the Outlander MAX XT if you can possibly afford it. I did, and it is absolutely fantastic. The increased length really contributes to stability, and you can SAFELY take along another person on the back.

I've also found that the 400 has all the power I need and more, for hill climbs (you would not believe what this thing can do), snow plowing, and carrying lots of weight. Also, the rear seat provides a lovely soft ride that your wife/kids/friends will really like.

In any case, congrats to you. The Outlander is simply the best, and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Old 01-17-2007 | 06:55 PM
|
Trailblazer

V2, tell me about it. I was looking at a grizzly 450 since it was a tad cheaper, but then the owner decided to let this last 06 go at his cost just about. The XT's were 6999-7199. I also managed to get the rims switched since I like the new 07 XT style ones over the older plain steel ones at no extra charge(hehehe)

Bascially im getting a XT for the cost of a plain outlander. I didnt want the winch and etc, but im sure if I dont get it, ill end up needing the thing

James, I think the outlander is one of the best looking ATV's out. I just like the front end looks and the stance. I like the look of the yamaha's also though, but from what I saw, you need a 450 yamaha to compare with the 400cc outlander. My lil girl wants the MAX so she can ride on that back seat lol, but the max is 7399 and out of my price range. I wante dto stay in the 5-6k range. I would love to get one of the bigger 650-800 EFI models but they are pricey and then i would be hooked on the speed and have to get a new one every year to stay ahead of the pack LOL. Oh and I was conerned about the Max in the woods on small trails. It looks like it would be harder to get in and out of tight spots

Old 01-17-2007 | 08:02 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

Too bad you couldn't get the same discount on the MAX. You can put that rear seat on and off, for extra storage, and I believe you can even get a box for it.

I am constantly using the rear seat for short trips, to ferry people back and forth, and the like. I also have a daughter with her own machine, but lots of time she rides with me, and so I really appreciate the extra seat.

The longer chassis is a disadvantage in tighter situations, but it has only ever meant reversing every once in a while to make a sharp turn - I hardly notice it.

I any case, you are going to love it. It starts great, runs great, has real good tires on the XT, and best of all, it's made with Canadian technology, so you just KNOW it's good!

Old 01-17-2007 | 08:03 PM

Another idea: Could you not get the Outlander MAX non-XT for the same price as the Outlander XT?

Old 01-17-2007 | 11:22 PM
|
Trailblazer

yes I could, but they dont have any of those in stock.. they only had 2 06 XT's left and one 06 Max XT which was about 7299 I think

Is their anyway to rig the Max's seat up on the plain Outty? My lil ones only 5 so she doesnt take up much space and would fit behind me anyway.

btw, thanks for the info also... oh and i believe I'm going with the red one. They have both there waiting and i told them I would let them know the final color choice tomorrow LOL

Old 01-18-2007 | 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I would go with the GREEN one!!!

No no no, the RED one!!!!!

No no no, the GREEN one!!!!!!

No no no..................... Oh crap, this is hard to decide!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: decided on new atv: outlander 400 XT