Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Ceramic Coated Header Question

Old 02-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Coated Header Question

I just ran into an old buddy of mine, and found out that he has a ceramic coating business! He says he is very competetive with Jet-Hot, he says he uses the same "ingredients". I am already in the market for getting my new header done. I asked him if it would withstand the pressure washing that it would go through. He said it would not, even Jet-Hot coated WILL come off. Now, I take into consideration that he is not into ATV's and maybe thinks that I would put the nozzle 1/2" away to spray it off. Obviously we don't get that close. I would pretty much assume that what we put them through during cleaning, they would hold up just fine. I was also wondering if the coated headers would "clean-up" better. We all know that stock pipes get that burnt look after awhile, do these do it also, or do they continue to look pretty good? I was wondering if anyone would answer these questions for me. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2007, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you very much for the info, I figured that they would hold up OK, just checking anyway!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider

i have a set Hooker headers on my Harley that came with ceramic coated head pipes. at 40,000 miles it is still in very good shape. there are some fine rust lines in the ceramic but it's over ten year old and has seen some nasty conditions. i give the ceramic coating a "two thumbs up".

monty

Old 02-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

I've got one on my yfz450... and it's great... no color change... and I've never had a problem with it' chipping or anything from the pressure washer...

Old 02-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would prep work on the pipes b4 coating, same as a paint job i guess w/have alot to do w/ how they hold up. i'll buy my exhaust for my vmax w/ the coating just to help keep the heat down and out the pipes instead of on my legs.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, my buddy said you can grab the pipe without burning yourself. I am not an expert, but I AM skeptical about taking it that far.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't go grabbing it. But if you do happen to brush up on it, you will keep your skin. It does make a huge difference. I had a set of ceramic headers on my drag car. It made it real easy to change plugs between rounds at the drag strip.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I figured it more like you say. Hey, he's a salesman too. Not just a buddy!LOL!!! Somethings "I let go in one ear, and out the other" Whens salesmen start talking, this stuff just whizzes by all of us.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Not to dog on someone I don't know but some of the things your buddy says is flat wrong. Maybe the coating your buddy puts on will come off with a pressure washer but not Jet Hot that's for sure. There is no way in hell your going to grab a pipe after making a run. Coatings are good, but not THAT good!!!!!!
With Jet Hot if you get oil on the coating it will just sort of boil off...........kinda weird when you see it happen!!!
I would pass on your buddy and get it Jet Hot coated. JMHO, some coating are good........some are not so good.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry about insulting anyone. We are not total idiots on here, LOL! We can tell when people are feed us lines. I may still try his product, his reputation in more important to him, than my $150. I figure he'll treat me right, should anything go wrong. Sometimes mom and pop shops ARE better, atleast in the restaurant business anyway! I'll give him a shot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ceramic Coated Header Question