Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Steel vs Aluminum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel vs Aluminum Wheels

Ive never even thought of buying aluminum rims, as i love rock crushing! My Delta Steel Rims have been BEATEN on rocks, and they still look new[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: captainskodiak
The new ITP SS series of "fancy" aluminum rims come with a lifetime warranty. You bend or break... you get new for free!!!
When you are 100 miles back in the bush, a free replacement does not do me much good. Besides, I dont want to take the chance of wasting a nice day a riding. I like to stick with good old steel.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just looked at those ITP SS series wheels, and they are sharp looking! I would have to have numerous reports on the durablity before i thought of buying them.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i run the type 7 itp's and have no problem banging / scratching, or eevn denting them, whih i already have done. they bend just like the steels ones do, but they look alot nicer.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

v2rider, those are great looking steel rims. I wouldnt have guesed they were steel while looking at the pics, but I still love my SS wheels. I got to ride my first v2 cat this week as we traded one in at our polaris dealership in marshall, MN. Looks like a good machine. This one is red with the LE package and low miles. Don't think it will last long, even thought its sittting at a polaris dealership. Would love to take that thing out in the mud and see how it compares to a polaris.
Wondering if you have made it to the ORV park in Appelton, Minnesota yet? We are heading up there in a couple weeks when it dires out. I'm 45 miles away.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for the compliment on the rims! Ive never been there, but it sounds fun! The V2 does excellent in mud. My uncle has the same 800 you have, and he loves it. No problems with his yet. I think the sp700 has some issues though, as my buddy hates his.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Have fun!!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

V2, If you ever want to met us up there you guys are welcome too. We are also heading over to the clark county wisconsin trails the first weekend in june if anybody wants to join us. Sounds like we'll trailhead in Black River Falls on interstate 94. Where are you from in Minnesota?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Range Rover

I haven't seen a crash where only the wheels was bent so bad that it was unrideable, and there wasn't something else that prevented it from being ridden. Like driver injury, or bent/broke suspension pieces, or god forbid a broken chassis. Seen some pretty severly bent wheels on the trail. But they usually will still hold air, maybe a little wobbly but still go. I think aluminum will still hammer back in to shape to get you back. I run the ITP Type 5's because I got a deal on ebay, $270 for the wheels and 26" Mudlite XL's. I would be on the factory wheels if I didn't have them. The aluminum are VERY PRICEY these days. About as cheap to put a set on my fullsize Durango than my Grizzly.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm from Maple Lake, about 7 miles west of Buffalo

Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

The ITP sportlocks have a protective ring around the bead to protect it from the rocks. They are not true bead loks but have the additional rim to provide significant additional protection

Quick Reply: Steel vs Aluminum Wheels