Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Warn Winches

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007 | 11:27 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Warn Winches

Anyone else have problems with their 2500lb winches taking on water? Mine died on me cause it was submerged in mud, i had to take it apart and clean it out to get it going again once i got home, should'nt these things be waterproof?!?!

Old 04-15-2007 | 01:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warn Winches

If it's one of the new RT or XT winches, it should be fully sealed. Prior to the release of the RT & XT line of winches, the only sealed Warn winch was the 3.0 (3000 lb.).

Old 04-15-2007 | 01:15 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Warn Winches

ya i got it just before those came out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2007 | 01:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warn Winches

That shouldnt matter. My Venom winch has been submerged in mud, snow, water and NEVER failed. Its not waterproof. They should know a winch will be used to pull things out of mud and water 80% of the time.

Old 04-15-2007 | 01:56 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Warn Winches

mine was brand new only used maybe 10 times and it definately had water inside, thats why it failed on me. Is this a defect or just more than this winch can handle?

Old 04-15-2007 | 03:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warn Winches

It shouldnt fail just because it has water in it. There should be a good marine based grease in it so it doesnt wash out. What exactly happened to the winch? Did it seize up? Or just lose power?

Old 04-15-2007 | 05:26 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Warn Winches

Once i got home i checked all of the electrical and i had power all the way up to the winch so i new that was the problem. I removed the motor and then the planetary gears on the motor side (the reason i did this is because some wise engineer at warn decided to put nuts on the ends of the bolts holding the motor on, so once you remove those bolts the nuts fall down inside the gear case) i found that the motor and gears were saturated with water i was not impressed to say the least, once i blew all the water out and greased it it seemed to work fine. I also found that they do not use any ball bearings but brass bushings

Old 04-15-2007 | 07:46 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default Warn Winches

ive had my 3.0 ci under water many of times w/ no problems at all.

Old 04-16-2007 | 01:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Warn Winches

I've run my Warn 2.5 while submerged with no problems, but I've only done that a couple times. I've been told that after you do that you should power the cable in and out a couple of times to get the thing hot and hopefully drive off any water.

I would also imagine that if you dunk the thing much, and particularly if you run it while submerged, you should pull it apart for cleaning and fresh grease (special stuff) frequently.

On the Rincon I'm waiting for the XT30 to be released (the synthetic line one that comes with the wireless remote control).

Old 04-16-2007 | 01:53 AM
DS2
Range Rover
Default Warn Winches

Mine has been submerged several times. The only problem I'm having is with engaging the gears. It works, but it takes several attempts.

Quick Reply: Warn Winches