Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Arctic Cat or Yamaha?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat or Yamaha?

I currently own an 05 kodiak 450 and I love it, but I want something with more power. I do a lot of riding in the creeks around my place so I need something that will do well in the mud and deep water. Quite often we are headlight deep in water. I also do a fair amount of trail riding so I would like something that handled some what decent. I've narrowed my choices down to the AC 650H1, AC 700EFI, & Grizzly 700EFI. I've heard a lot of good and bad things about the AC 650H1, but I haven't heard very much about the AC 700EFI. I was wondering if anyone has had much experience with the AC 700EFI. I've also read a lot about the Grizzly 700 and everyone seems to like it. The only thing keeping me from buying one is that they've changed a few of things since the 660. I'd like something that been proven dependable.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

On thing to remember.... All of those Quads are quite larger than your Kodiak 450. At most you gain only 1-1.5" of Ground clearance. You can get more power out of the 450 by re-jetting, exhaust, clutch kit.

Personally I love the size of my Grizzly 450 (same as 03-06 Kodiak 450's). I ride with all the big-bores you listed. I Fit through the tight stuff better than them... And they are all running 26" or bigger tires.. They really are only better than me in the deep mud and higher speeds.. personally I will never own bigger than a 450 (Ok maybe a 500 if Yamaha introduces the Fuel-injected version of my quad) because I simply don't need it.. And as far as the Grizzly 700's dependability.. it is a YAMAHA - enough said...

Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

If you are looking into a big bore i would opt for the 2008 Arctic Cat 700 EFI, since it now carries Arctic Cats own H1 engine in it (a great engine i might add) and also adds EFI to the mix. The 2008 wheelers also have redesigned handlebars for comfort and a 1" lower seat than previous years to make you feel like youre riding in the machine not on it (in a sense). The 650 H1 is also a great machine but the EFI is always nice. Any further questions on Arctic Cat PM me.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

honestly, the AC's got the most power, but unless they've changed the drainage for the clutch case, I would have to go w/ the grizzly. (not my only reason, but a big one for someone that rides in creeks a lot) My buddy eventually got rid of his ac650 for a few reasons... 1, cause the choke portion of the carbs was a cause for taking it to the dealership 4 times... 2, cause the stiff suspension made it feel too tippy on uneven terrain (especially when crawling out of creek beds over large river rocks) 3, when he got water in the clutch case, he couldn't just drain it like the grizzly's easy access plug. It was an extreme pain in the ****...

The Griz feels a lot lighter and more nimble than the AC...

Test ride both... see for your self which one you prefer...

Old 06-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

The Grizz feels a lot light because it is!!! The AC weighs in at 679LBS!! A whole 79 LBS more than the Grizzly... at that point you have to figure out the Power to Weight ratio. Not to knock AC's but 79Lbs is a big difference...

Also if you really want reliablity, then just get a 2008 Grizzly 660 - Yamaha still makes them.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with the grizzly. They are very good reliable atv's. You will enjoy the grizzly

Old 06-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Haven't had any troubles with my Grizzly

Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the Cat. I have had a total of zero problems with mine in spite of being ridden by everyone from my teen age nephews to my 70 yr old father. I've had water literally over the gas tank, and no belt slippage. It does not feel "tippy" to me, and the newer ones are supposed to feel even less "tippy". When you are talking 600 - 700 pounds, another 79 isn't all that much, and can even be a benefit if you are riding in heavy brush.

QUOTE FOR TODAY:

Planned Parenthood: Destroying a Generation One Baby at a Time.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Water over the tank is impressive since that's about 5" higher than your belt intake... musta been at just the right angle... As you can see from my pics, I'm not scared to go deep with my quad (over my gas tank and I'm drinkin water thru the air intake and belt vents though) and I've never had any water in the belt housing... They fixed the drainage for the AC 700fi... I went riding w/ one a couple weeks ago... (sounded like crap and died all the time, but I'm pretty sure he said it drank some water the day before.) It powered thru some big holes with that ever impressive ground clearance...

Don't forget to check out the suzi KingQuad as well...

Old 07-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i think either bike would do whats needed. both have more than enough power. its more of a personal prefrence, you need to test drive them both. i myself ride a 500 ac and i have my own reasons, but you cant go wrong with either. i do alot of mud riding ( you can see pics.) and in 2002 this was the bike for me, since then there has been more upgrades on almost every bike. good luck with your choice. oh, i have a manual trans. so there isnt a water/belt issues.

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat or Yamaha?