Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Hard plastic Storage boxes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard plastic Storage boxes

I am looking to buy a storage box for my 06 Arctic Cat 500 4X4 and I am having trouble finding one I like. I like this one: http://www.tamarackatv.com/tamAlt/frontbox_alt.htm made by tamarack but $110 seems pretty steep for a plastic box. I would like to find something similar for a more reasonable price.

What do you use for storage?

Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

From what I've seen from other people's hard boxes, you get what you pay for.

Personally I prefer a soft box (softer and won't break if/when you flip the machine), but their major disadvantage is that dust binds up zippers. I got a mad dog zipperless one for my Rincon and just love it.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

That Mad Dog gear is good stuff. I've got some of their stuff and it is really good, rugged and reasonably priced. I've got their fender bags that have zippers and I've had mud, water, ice, snow, dust, dirt and about everything else (coyote guts-don't ask) on them and have had zero complaints. I like them because they're "linked" together with a strap and they have a nice cover which comes down to protect the zippers and keep the majority of gunk off of them. They're really quick to get in and out of which is what I like about them. A flip and a yank and they're open. No fumbling with little buckles or straps or releases. They close just as quick.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Soft bags work well for a lot of uses and I ride with one fellow that has used them for years and loves them. For my needs the hard boxes work better. I haul a lot of stuff especially when I'm doing fence work and the like. Hammers, nails and such are hard on soft bags and I have seen saw blades ruin a bag in one day. I also like the way I can put dry storage boxes inside the hard box and have added protection for first aid and other survival supplies. It really depends on what you are going to be hauling and how often you crash. Bags definitely survive tip overs better but boxes allow the mounting of tool holders, lights and such on their surfaces.

I would suggest you ride with some folks that use both methods and ask to be shown how they pack things and watch how their system works in the field. One more thing I like about the hard box, I can easily strap a bag on top if I need more space.

Whatever kind of bag or box you decide on I would advise you to get something that seals well. I have a Plano cheepie on the back of my quad and will be replacing it with something that seals dust tight. Have a good box on the front rack, can't remember the brand right now, and the dust issue is important as are stainless hardware.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I looked at all the hard plastic boxes out there and they seemed flimsy and extremely expensive just because they were for an ATV. I even bought one and then returned it just because I was sick of spending over $100 for a plastic box. I bought a hard plastic storage box made by Contico at Lowes for about $29 and couldn't be happier. I did also have to buy about $4 worth of U-bolts to mount it.
There is a couple of pics in my gallery

Old 07-09-2007, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

I've got a couple of boxes I use for tools when I have to haul tools for fence work or other jobs around the farm. One is a rather heavy metal box with a hinged lid with a rubber gasket. It is a green color and is military box of some sort. I think it held rockets or large mortar rounds. It fits on the rear rack perfectly.

I've also got two heavy wooden ammunition/ordnance boxes which came from a defense contractor. They're not totally water tight since they have no gaskets or lid clamping mechanism like the metal box but they seal out the elements fairly well. They're very rugged and just the right size for the racks. Best of all they were free.

I take mine on and off a lot. I attach them with some short quick clamps I made which clamp to the rack and hold securely. I was using ratchet straps but these are a more permanent solution and I was always losing the straps I had specifically shortened for the boxes.

I've considered buying one of the store bought boxes but they're just so expensive and the ones I've seen just aren't that high quality. You can buy a steel or aluminum truck bed box for the price of those things.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I needed the extra seat for my daughter.........So the storage box was a huge plus for me now that I have it...........You can check it out in my pics..........What I am looking for now is the flat type gas carry can that goes on the front rack.........They are around $100.00 Can funds ........How much are they down in the U.S.A............Thanks...........Caper...........

Old 07-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

I have two of them at they are very good boxes hear is how I mounted them.TextMountTextmount

Old 07-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey redlinemike I own a Tamarack Lounger which has a built is seat and its awesome. I dunno what type your looking for exactly but they have great boxes as far as im concerned. I was gonna send you the link to the box I have but it looks like the website is having maintenence done.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey 4X4 Pratt-- I too own a Tamarack seat style box--its great! I have the straps that go around the rack so I can take it off ez--makes it practical to remove for hunting. this is old and its still in good shape. my bro in law has a Tamarack front box and he rolled his quad--the box is fine--i definately think you get what you pay for. plus its something you want to last a long time....

Quick Reply: Hard plastic Storage boxes