Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Bombs in Baghdad

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007 | 11:36 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Bombs in Baghdad

Greetings from Iraq.

I am currently serving a tour in Iraq. One of my past times is researching quads. I'm looking for advise on which ride is most compatable with me. I have been researching relentlessly to include building complex spreadsheets, but I have found that the posts within this site are supreme in getting honest and straight forward words on quads. At the end of my tour, the winner will find its way to my house in Virginia, USA. (ahhh, home sweet home)

There are so many posts in here that contain so many words of wisdom from pro riders and newbies alike. I enjoyed reading so much, I thought I would give my own post a shot.

The models I am comparing (obiviously because of price range) are:

Quad Model CC's Drive MSRP

Honda Foreman 500 475 TraxLox 4wd System $6,649

Polaris sportsman 500 HO 499 2wd/Awd $6,699

Polaris sportsman 450 455 2wd/Awd $6,699

Honda Rancher 450 420 TraxLox 4wd System $5,299

Yamaha Grizzly 450 421 2wd/4wd/4wd Lck/Sft Drv $6,299

Arctic Cat 500 493 4wd auto $6200 *

Arctic Cat 400 376 4wd auto $5700 *

What I'm looking for is any personnal experiences with any of the above equipment good or bad. It is also great to watch people describe or even debate their own personnal comparisons. I have narrowed my search down to two of the above, but I won't spoil it because my mind could easily be changed. My intended uses?

I want something as equally fun as it is productive. I have unlimited trails in my area and I also have unlimited work. I need a small pack mule that can run like a horse when I dig my spurs in. (Trust me, I will need to dig my spurs in after being in this place.) My riding experince?

This will be my very first quad. I will admit that I learned at a young age that I did not belong on two wheels. An old Yamaha 125 Dirt Bike taught me this valuable life lesson. I have rode atv's all of my life, but never owned one so my riding experince is limited. My physical attributes?

I'm a muscular 225 pounds (not boasting) standing at 5'11". I don't have any physical drawbacks (bad back, knees, etc) and don't want any. Smooth is fast. I don't want a ride that beats me worse than the Army.

Ok. Enough is enough. Let the beatings begin. Thanks in advance for your input!

Old 07-26-2007 | 12:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default Bombs in Baghdad

Battlegun

Haven't rode any of the quads you mention so can't comment on them.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your service to our country and hope you are home safely very soon.

Pass this thanks along to your fellow solders for me if you would.

Old 07-26-2007 | 01:08 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Bombs in Baghdad

Welcome to the Forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] AND Thanks for your Service in protecting our freedom[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I would like to give you my opinion of the quads you have posted[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] However, I own sport quads. Now I can tell you I've ridden a Yamaha Kodiac and a Honda Foreman. I liked the Yamaha better. As far as your size goes, anyone of them would suit you fine.

Old 07-26-2007 | 09:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default Bombs in Baghdad

you could look a Suzuki king quad ,there close to you price range ,

Old 07-26-2007 | 02:28 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Bombs in Baghdad

Salutes to you tencubed. Thanks for caring bout us over here and every where else. We are nothing without the support of the people. When I get home, I'll toast a cold one to you and all the other folks who have shown us their support. I can not tell you how good it makes us feel to be accepted and appreciated. I will pass along your support to my bros.

God spead.

Old 07-26-2007 | 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bombs in Baghdad

hey battlegun ,fellow warrior ,the feeling of riding after getting back is awesome ,thats the one of the biggest things I missed when I was in Iraq.glad to see your doing good ,matter of fact I bought my Z400 when I came home on leave ,

Old 07-26-2007 | 11:48 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Bombs in Baghdad

Recue diver,

Thanks for the thoughts. What was the more comfortable ride, yamaha or honda?

P.S.
Nice garage line up! I bet it's fun to have a barbque at your house.

Old 07-26-2007 | 11:56 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Bombs in Baghdad

deanz,

Thanks for suggestion. I'll look at what the zuki has to offer. To be honest, zuki hadn't even crossed my mind. When I think of zuk's I think of sport quads. I didn't realize they had bruisers too. I'll add them to my long list of researched items. I'll have some catching up to do so any input you have on them is welcomed.

As far as riding when I get home...I'm not sure I would care if it were a tricycle. I just want to get home to the fresh mountian air and freedom. You know what it is like over here. Always something burning and it always stinks like crap or pollution. The turkey and dairy farms back home smell much better than this!

At first i was torn between a jeep and a fourwheeler. I grew up with both...but a jeep would be purely selfish. I can justify the fourwheeler with the work I'll do with it. But man o man how I miss the summers with the top of the jeep just riding...in the perfect world, I'd have both, but I'm saving for a house on the land I just bought...hence I need the quad to help me clear the land as it's all wooded now.

Old 07-27-2007 | 11:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default Bombs in Baghdad

I currently ride a Suzuki Vinson 500. The only thing I have done was put Vampire tires on it for that extra little bit of traction. I use it for work as much as play. We have a 127 acre hay farm and about 300 acres of woods. In the woods it is a mud hole, hill climbing, trail running brute. On the farm, we use it for raking the hay, checking fence lines, and cutting fire wood. We usually take a 6 x 12 trailer into the woods and cut and split till the trailer tires are just about to rub and pull it back to the wood shed. It does havea solid rear axle, so it is very stable when pullig heavy loads. All of this without rattling your insides. It is a very comfortable ride. Check the stats out at suzuki.com. Hope this is helpful. Last but not least, Thank you and all of the service men and women that protect our country. Come home safe and good luck with finding the right ATV for your needs.

Old 07-27-2007 | 10:14 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Bombs in Baghdad

All this talk on zuki's...where are the other guys? I'm def. going to suki.com now to check em out. Thanks for the input Vinson. I'll come back at you and deanz with questions.

And thanks for caring bout us over here. All these thankful people in here remind me of some of my hero's. My uncle's, and father-in-law. They all served in Nam and have given me a tremendous amount of courage. My father in law gave me the medallion of St. Christopher in which he wore during his tour in Nam. They (and all other Veterens) are the ones who have paved the way for young guns like myself. Salute the past heros in honor of the present freedom. (this includes you Deanz) HOAH!

Quick Reply: Bombs in Baghdad