Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Grizz 450 - King Quad 450 - AC 500, Gettin tough to decide.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizz 450 - King Quad 450 - AC 500, Gettin tough to decide.

I have been looking around for awhile now, doing tons of research, talking with different people, reading reviews and evaluating what features I need. I originally thought the new big bear IRS would suit me but have decided against it for the fact that I may be out west eventually and need something that will be able to cruise a little better through the desert without screaming for mercy in 5th gear. So I'm down to the Grizzly 450 which I love, the King Quad 450 which I really like with the EFI, and the AC 500 which seems really great as well and has all the features of the other two for the most part. I'm not sure if the EFI on the KQ is really a deciding factor at all in my decision, but it seems to be all the rage as of late. Anyone got any feedback?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

as always i would tell you to go with the AC. ground clearance, suspension travel, rack capacity, rack versatility, mechanical diff lock.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

get some seat time on all of them, then decide...

gl

Old 08-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Buy the one that has the most features that suit your riding style and where you ride. EFI has an advantage if you are changing altitudes often (there are work around's with carb - air jetting) I like a carb because I can work on it myself. If out of warranty and the EFI messes up, you could be looking at some bucks to get it running right.

My preferences would be AC, KQ, Griz in that order, but you have to get what suits you best. AC is geared more toward utility and really difficult terrain, the others are more of a sport ride and easier trails. The AC is bigger, stronger and heavier. Probably not as fast in a drag race but will run about the same on the top speed. Has more ground clearance and more wheel travel.

With other brands there seems to be more mods (tires, suspension, engine) just to get the needed ground clearance - that can add up to big bucks really quick. After the mods then their handling diminishes (if they had an advantage - my opinion is no because you can make the AC handle as well as any). also, they can't ever get the superior wheel travel needed for articulate riding over large objects. So the bottom line is - they invest way more money and end up with worse handling and probably still don't have a comparable machine. And more often then not their axle and CV joints have changed angle and putting extra strain on the entire drive line, reducing reliability and increasing breakage.

Any will get the job done and there is no single machine that will do it all, but some do certain things better than others. You need only to decide what features are important to you.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds good.I really do like all 3 of them. I'm hugely unbiased to any of the machines because when I think about it, even though It always sounds good in my mind, there won't be any Highlifter mudbog championships to win or any high speed woods racing events to tackle. So I'm sure any one will do great for me. I guess it will come down to price, among a few minor other things. Still tough to pick though.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

I bought my KQ 450 a few months back. I have to say it is awesome. I can only speak for the kq and the grizzly. My father in law bought the grizzly 450 the same day I did. I prefer the KQ over the grizz now more than ever. His seems like such a smaller bike to me. He is a bigger guy than me and if he rides two people the shocks almost bottom out. I know you can stiffen them but that makes the ride stiffer for one rider. My king quad seems to handle two people better. Plus the dreaded brake squeak of the grizzly started not long after he got it. My kind is faster also. Topping out at 61 or so. And it hangs with a 660 in a drag race. Overal my vote of course would be the KQ 450. Can speak on the AC, I have never seen one. All my employees bought bigger models so I am thinking of giving my KQ to my wife. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a review comparing a 450 Kodiak (Same as 450 Grizzly ,just had a name change) against a 500 AC . http://www.powersportsnetwork....rof_review.asp?code=85

Can,t tell you how a 450 KQ is though.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

Here is another good read. Helped me make my decision.

http://www.atvmagonline.com/output.cfm?id=1220599

Old 08-09-2007, 11:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jsills78

Here is another good read. Helped me make my decision.

http://www.atvmagonline.com/output.cfm?id=1220599</end quote></div>

Nice review. I knew the Can Am 500 would lose bottom and mid range in the slower driving. 500cc is just to small of a displacement to be a twin clylinder in a Utility ATV.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same throes myself. Looking at P360, AC400 and just found out about KQ450. I'm leaning heavily toward the KQ450 as it has everything, I mean everything I want- and the fact that I need a machine that will do it all the KQ seems to fit the bill best being a sport first, with it's wonderful CG gas tank under the seat then filling in utility duties and 4x4 for the snow and clawying up a mountianside. THe seat is nicer too. I seriously entertained the AC 400 but ruled that it was a bit too much on the utilitarian side, and the seat..........

Quick Reply: Grizz 450 - King Quad 450 - AC 500, Gettin tough to decide.