Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

BREAKING GRIZZLY IN

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BREAKING GRIZZLY IN

Here in a few months i plan to buy a new Yamaha, and I'm leaning towards the Grizz 700. yamaha says to break it in easily, but I have only owned used ATVs that were already broken in. So can someone please tell me how I know when a new one is broken in? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, meant to post in Yamaha.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most manufacturer's say it take it easy and not to go over half throddle untill the engine break in period , but you will find many that will say to ride it like you stole it; and as fast as and hard as you plan to ride it all the time ! But the way i broke in mine i variyed the speed , and i didn't go over half throddle untill i had done the third servicing of my quad ! I changed the oil and oil filter, the air filter at 100 mile's ! I cleaned the air filter and reoiled it at 150 mile's And changed the oil and oil filter again at 198 mille's ; i checked the valve's at at 250 mile's the manual called for checking them at the 100 mile'mark ! but they weren't making anymore noise than normal so i waited untill untill 250 mile's to check them and they were right in the middle of the spec.'s and that is how i alway's set the valve''s on all types of engine's i own , from my atv to my lawn mower they alway's run better and don't have to ajusted as often ; and the use less fuel and run cooler at the middle of the spec's so i didn't have to set them even at 250 mile's ! A manual shift quad may take a little longer for the ring's to seat , but i think the reason for this that most people who ride the manual shift quad's don't alway's keep the engine in the proper power band at all time's when they are breaking in their quad ! And where the manual calls for changing your oil at 10 hrs or 100 miles i would do the first at 75 miles or 7 and a half hrs, then make the second change at the 150 mile mark if the oil looks good ! But even if the oil look's and fill's good i still clean and reoil the air filter because this is this where dirt get's inside the engine first ! Then is the time to start following the manual from if you want to, but i still check the oil before and after each ride ; in dry and dusty condition's it is most important to keep the air filter clean and the oil changed more often than in the wet condition's ; unless you use it like a boat or do a lot of mudding whitch i don't ! There's a lot i left out i'm sure , like checking and changing the front and rear differential oil ; the best ivestment you can mke is to buy a good service and repair shop manual for maintenance ; even if you've never worked on quad's or any other type of machanical skill a good shop manual will pay for it's self in oil changing your oil and cleaning re oiling the air filter and a simple tune up ! hope this help's and you will get alot more from other's on the forums from some good peoplem !...........

Old 08-21-2007, 07:08 AM
Pro Rider

yeah, i won't give it full throttle for a while after i get it. my cousin got a new honda rancher at. last year, and when he backed it out of the truck bed he gave it full throttle and headed for a huge mudhole, and now when he goes to start it he has to spray strtng fluid in the carb. every 5 or so starts.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

If you follow the manufacturers suggested break in and maintenance procedure you are not only protecting your warrantee but doing what the people that designed the rig know is what is right for it. Lots of "experts" have advised me to break in rigs using their methods but by following what the manufacturer says my rigs seem to last a lot better than those of the self proclaimed experts.