Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

BIG HORN or MUDLITE XTR TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG HORN or MUDLITE XTR TIRES

Those three (Terra Cross, XTR, and Bighorns) are on my short list for tires, too...

I've heard the XTR's do better in mud, sand and slop, and that the Big Horns are great rocky conditions and dry loose stuff, and that the Terra Cross kind of splits the difference...

People have told me that the XTR's and the BigHorns wear like iron... How do Terra Cross tires do, wear wise?

Old 09-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

Both the Bighorn and the XTR wear like iron. I wanted to try a different set of tires on our Grizzly that has the XTRs on it, but I can't wear out the XTRs. I've even been riding it on the pavement quite a bit, but no such luck.

The rubber compound on the Terracross is much softer than the other two tires, so logic would lead me to believe they wont last as long. Ours are only a day old though, so I can't comment on that one.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer

Here in the desert southwest, All of the atv clubs throughout Utah and Arizona seem to be for one tire and one tire only; The Maxxis Bighorn.
I am just about at the point with my stock tires to where I have that very same decision to make.
Rocks, rocks and more rocks are the main concern out these parts. I hope I can sell my better half on the cost of the Bighorns.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

They are the SS 112 wheels that are available either in the chrome finish that I have, or also in an alternating polished aluminum and black pattern. I preferred the chrome wheel with the silver SE Grizzly. The pictures absolutely do not do the wheels justice. The chrome is show quality, and should be more resistant to fine scratches that occur in polished aluminum wheels.

DV</end quote></div>

DesertViper if you don't mind how much did you pay for yours. I received a
price from DICKS ATV for $799.00. Mike at Dicks ATV is a great to deal with.

That price was for:

&gt; TERRACROSS R/T on SS112 CHROME
&gt;
&gt; 26"x9Rx12 fronts
&gt; 26"x11Rx12 back

Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer

Ok one more observation. I have a buddy I ride with and he has the 26" Mud Lite XTR on a SS108 rim. The sidewalls on the XTR are wide enough to protect the rim. I have noticed that his rim never gets hit because the the sidewall is always protecting it. Have you guys noticed if the Big Horn or the TerraCross tires do the same thing.......... ????????

jbbooks as you stated rocks, rocks and more rocks the sidewall protecting the rim is very, very important in these riding conditions....

Thanks

Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

I paid dealer cost on the tires and wheels, so I can't really say what it was on an open forum like this. It sounds like you have been quoted a very good price from Dicks ATV though.

And speaking about protecting the rims from rock damage, ... thats why I went with 25x10R-12 tires on all four corners with my Grizzly, instead of getting the narrower 25x8R-12 front tires. I hate that grinding "thunk" sound when your wheels smack into rocks.

I just looked at the sidewalls of the XTRs we have on one Grizzly, the Terracross' we have on the other Grizzly, and the Bighorns we have on our Rhino. I wouldn't say any of them have a significant bead protection feature built into them. At least they all looked about the same in that area to me, and none of them have the thick bulletproof ridge of rubber in that area that the set of Mudzilla tires we have stacked in the corner of the garage does, or that the 37" tires on the Jeep do.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

I paid dealer cost on the tires and wheels, so I can't really say what it was on an open forum like this. It sounds like you have been quoted a very good price from Dicks ATV though.

And speaking about protecting the rims from rock damage, ... thats why I went with 25x10R-12 tires on all four corners with my Grizzly, instead of getting the narrower 25x8R-12 front tires. I hate that grinding "thunk" sound when your wheels smack into rocks.

I just looked at the sidewalls of the XTRs we have on one Grizzly, the Terracross' we have on the other Grizzly, and the Bighorns we have on our Rhino. I wouldn't say any of them have a significant bead protection feature built into them. At least they all looked about the same in that area to me, and none of them have the thick bulletproof ridge of rubber in that area that the set of Mudzilla tires we have stacked in the corner of the garage does, or that the 37" tires on the Jeep do.</end quote></div>

Ok DesertViper that is excellent information. Yes Dicks ATV have excellent prices.
That's what I was thinking of getting a little bit bigger so the rims are protected.
Ok so you actually have all three tires that I am looking at:

(1) XTR's
(2) TerraCross
(3) BigHorns

If you had to choose one for all around riding, sand, rocks,logs, snow, mud...
Which one would you choose.

I am leading towards the BigHorns........but they seem to wear a little faster than the other two...... so I am not 100% sure.................but leading that way.....

Thanks again for the great info

Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

I would get the Bighorns. As an example, when I race the Rhino in the local desert race series I can chose any of these sets of tires to run on the Rhino, because all three sets of wheels will fit. The next race is 20 miles south of Wendover, NV, in the middle of NOWHERE, and there is a rock behind every single bush in that area. I'm going to have the Bighorns on the Rhino when I need a dependable set of tires.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

This sounds like good info, from someone who actually owns each type.

I think I might go Bighorn, too...

Old 09-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

Excellent DesertViper thanks again for your input. I also have the 700 Grizz S/E and there great machines AND GOOD LUCK IN YOUR RACE...........

JeffinTD what size of TIRES and RIMS are you looking at .......?????

Quick Reply: BIG HORN or MUDLITE XTR TIRES