Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Buying a Utility ATV 101

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007 | 11:24 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Buying a Utility ATV 101

I am in the process of buying my first ATV. The more research, including searchs on the internet I do, the more confused I get. Hopefully the people in this forum can steer me in the right direction. I live in central Wisconsin and will primarily use the ATV for ice fishing along with some hunting. With this in mind, I have been focused on the following items:
- Ground clearance, don't want to get hung up the snow.
-Speed is not important, don't expect to go over 35 MPH
-Need to pull up to 800 lbs
-Usually wear large boots, foot shifting is not desirable or is this not an issue?
-At times the ice is covered with slush and/or water. Concern revolves around liquid vs air cooled. Can radiators get plugged with slush/ice and overheat? Do CVT systems get wet and not work well?
-It gets cold ie -20 F, want to make sure starting is not an issue.
-Selectable 2/4 wheel drive.
-Weight is also a factor, don't want something too heavy, don't want to drop through the ice. This is a secondary factor.

Besides giving selection recommendations, please chime in if there are other items I should be focused on. I am looking at new and used machines. Regarding used, is there any ATVs that would be a good fit or machines I should stay away from(year and model)? When looking at used, what besides appearance, should I be looking at? What is considered to be high miles or hours? My mind says stay away from an ATV that has been used to plow snow?

I know this is a wide open topic and people will have varying opinions. I'm looking for any help that will help me get out of this "ATV selection FOG".

I don't want this to become a manufacture's bashing discussion. Positive feedback even if the news is not good.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2007 | 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Today, you really can't go wrong with any of the major brands. The slush and water should not be an issue unless you get really deep. You are definitely going to want fuel injection so you might be looking at newer models. Along those lines, unless you know alot about the machine or the person who owns it, I would suggest buying new. Basically it comes down to riding some and going with what you like best. Since I own an Outlander and am very happy with it I will lean you that way as will the next guy who owns a Honda.

Old 12-05-2007 | 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

wisv1k is correct I would look for an EFI unit they start very easy in the cold. In regards to not wonting an atv that has plowed I wouldn't worry about that plowing is not hard on them I would worry more about the mud boggers. If you are going to be pulling 800lbs you might wont to look at the solid rear axel units I us to ride a Polaris but got tired of the sag in the rear when you had a trailer on it all of the weight is on the suspension with a IRS unit. Just my thoughts.

Old 12-05-2007 | 05:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Are you sure youd want o tbe out there at -20F? Im not sure any atv is gonna start at that temp.
Air cooled are usually simpler, and require less maint. No radiator or coolant or water pump. EFI is nice, but no gauntee to start at 10F and below. Besides, the wind chill is brutal at those temps, and just plain isnt fun to be on an atv.
If youre gonna be riding alone, with no help, if you get stuck...make sure you get one with some sort of front diff locker. It makes alot of difference, if you have all 4 tires turning, as opposed to 3.
The automatics would work out well. The newer atvs are sealed very good, and unless you swamp them, they shouldnt get wet inside.
If youre gonna look at used, if posible find a friend or relative to help you look. Some one who is familar with atvs and can offer honest impartial advice. You could also join the loacl atv club. Usually someone is selling a good used atv, amd if not, at least youll have access to alot of ideas, and help.
The solid rear axle types, will tow more weight, but the trade off is less ground clearance. Check the specs on the different atvs, but most dont allow more than 40 lbs of toungue weight. They are just suppose to pull, not support heavy weight.
They are all gonna be heavy...at least 600 lbs and up. Id try to stay with 450cc as the minimun displacement, and if its an automatic, it should have low range too. Some dont.
Usually the radiators are up and out of the splashing, but you can rig a piece of cardboard to block the spary, during the slushy time of year.
You may want to have at least chains for the rear tires, and if youre gonna be out there alone, id have chains for the front tires too. Hand and thumb warmer can be added to any quad, and are almost a necesity.

Old 12-06-2007 | 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Do yourself a favor and narrow it down to an Arctic Cat or Polaris.

Old 12-06-2007 | 11:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Basically IRS will give you more ground clearance, but will sag more when towing a trailer (the hitch weight sqauts the suspension). On a solid rear axle the hitch usually attaches to the axle, so the weight of the trailer hitch doesn't squat the suspension.

The Artic Cat I've ridden had super-stiff suspension and adjustable spring preload, so you could stiffen up the rear suspension if you need to. Polaris machines are generally solidly built, but often heavier than quads of other brand of the same suspension. Some people I've talked to have had no problems at all, and others had trouble right from the start.

I don't think you will have problems with ice blocking the flow to the radiator unless you get really crazy, so air or liquid cooled would be fine.

There've been a few threads about some EFI bikes not starting well in cold temps. I have one of each, and both start just fine, though you have to hold the throttle on the Foreman for the first minute or so to make sure it doesn't stall if it is really cold.

If it were fuel injected, I'd say the Honda Rubicon might be a good choice. It is solid axle, but has enough ground clearance to do well in the snow, and the hydrostat transmission lives inside the crankcase so no shifting with boots on, and no worries about a wet belt...

Old 12-06-2007 | 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: zorro700

Do yourself a favor and narrow it down to an Arctic Cat or Polaris.</end quote></div>

lol

ya if u want it to be a monument u pass in the future.

Old 12-06-2007 | 02:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Are you sure youd want o tbe out there at -20F? Im not sure any atv is gonna start at that temp</end quote></div>

We start both of our carb ATVs in -20 C no problem ,thats what the choke is for. The 4 stroke snowmobile carb and EFI start up why wouldnt a ATV?

As for belt ,in the winter there is no 4 ft creek crossing so I cant see how the belt will ever get wet. My Sleds cross slushy lakes and there belt are not even attempted to be protected from water like a ATV is.

Old 12-06-2007 | 08:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I also say get the Arctic Cat, but the Polaris has been having rumors of mechanical problems. The AC has the highest ground clearance, a diff locker , and is basically set up for the snow. Look at my pics

Old 12-06-2007 | 09:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The only thing I didn't care for on the 650 Artic Cat I rode was that the steering tended to fight you hard when turning sharp in rough conditions.

Tons of ground clearance, though.

I guess to back away from the brand war for a second, I'd suggest getting a real test ride on the machines you think you would want. They all behave differently, and everyone has their own individual personal preferences...

Quick Reply: Buying a Utility ATV 101