Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

plastic skid plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plastic skid plates

I'm interested in using a high end plastic skid plate on my Kodiak. Has anyone tried out either brand Armordillo or Perfex? If I'm not mistaken I believe they are both Canadian manufacturers. I found someone from Perfex on this site and tried to e-mail questions but the e-mail bounced back. I'd entertain the thought of going back to aluminum but I'm curious of the plastic's slick ability and bump absorption. Also the other catch is swaping out the skid plate for the plow mount (Warn plow system) every winter. This would be the case I guess for either plastic or aluminum.

thanks for the input

Old 01-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've made my own plastic plates and only had good experiences with them ,slide over logs and don't hang up on rocks like alum.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

I bought a few of the Yamaha skids for my Grizzly 450... they are ok but beat down a bit.. I am fortunate enough to have access to a metal shop.. so I am making my own 1/4" 5052 AL Front Skid plate modeled off the plastic stock one... and I am making custom Footwell skid plates out of 3/16" 5052 AL I am also going to be stiffening up my belly skid and rear with some 1/4" 5052. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

I use plastic skids on my kodiak and they are definitly better than alu. Also I plow as well and built my own plow mount. The advatadge to the plow mnt is it is mounted to front whinch plate so no loss of ground clearance and I can remove plow in 3 pins in about 2to3 min. The skids slide better and softens bottom outs.Disadvantadge is factory skids wear faster but if you can find sheets of a good qual plastic make your own they will last longer then quad. Note a am looking for a good plasic as well if you find something please post. Ride On

Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

A friend of mine uses plastic skids on his Outlander 800. He fabbed his own out of some white HDPE or Nylon I can't remember what the exact plastic is. It is really dense and tough. It also is sort of "greasy" and it slides over rocks and trees quite nicely. He's had his ever since the Outty came out and they're holding up great last time I seen them. He got the material at the local industrial materials jobber. The stuff is like a half inch thick or a little more. Easy to work with he said. He did his on machine tools but you could work it with common woodworking tools.

I'm my experience the plastic tends to slide over rocks and such better than aluminum. Aluminum may be a bit tougher but it seems to grab on the rocks.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the reply i will look into this, and i do agree plastic is better ride on.//

Old 01-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

plastic skids! LOL!!!! what garbage!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

Here is some more info on these products. I can find info on the Armodillo but next to nothing on Perfex. ATVtires.ca sells both but pushes the Armordillo. The one thing I noticed on the Perfex is that they are pre-bent (no heating required). I've used aluminum and also made my own in the passed, I'm willing to try the Armodillo palstic out, anything is better than the stock junk.

http://www.atvtires.ca/ARMORDI...STIC%20SKIDPLATES.htm

http://quads.ca/tech_armordillo_skid_plate.htm

Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

There are several championship rock-crawlers that use plastic skids(mounted over steel) on their buggies because it slides over rocks so well. I don't know what it's called, but it's the same material that cutting boards are made from.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

That's the best of both worlds right there. A plastic skin over steel or aluminum

Quick Reply: plastic skid plates