Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Anyone run a twist throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone run a twist throttle?

Have any of you guys put a twist throttle on your ATVs? I grew up on dirt bikes, and even the trikes that I've spent time on had twist throttles. I don't mind the thumb throttle for putting the Eiger to work, but it really wares my thumb out on long rides and it just doesn't feel right for aggressive riding.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

my warrior had a twist throttle i liked it sort of after i got use to it but my hand never got tired of riding

Old 01-28-2008, 07:16 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

It would work fine ,the reason they do not put them on ATVs is because many ATVs are used in winter snowy and ice conditions and twist throttles freeze stuck to easily.

I seen one on a sled once and it amost went through a house on warm up. LOL

Old 01-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

I ride street bikes and I will not put one on my quad... I know I could get used to it but I know the stuff I ride in and the wrong kind of bumb could turn out real bad...

Old 01-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

I had one on a 300 Bayou. TLC is right, it froze all the time when plowing snow with it.

I only put it on 'cause it was half the price of a replacement thumb throttle.

All in all the freezing of the cable was the only problem I encountered and it kinda turned a slug of a bike into somthing fun to pimp around. It always seemed to feel a little faster 'cause you were grabin' a mit full of throttle all the time... well whatever throttle was there. I mean, it was a 300 Bayou...

Old 01-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Range Rover

Hey don't knock the Bayou!!! I took one of those things down the sand drags at Gordons Well once.... Just once lol

Old 01-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

It really came alive with a twist throttle... I felt like Eivel Kinevel!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

that thing had so much long end I dug a hell of a hole before I left the line....

Old 02-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

I've been a dirt biker for a long, long time. I have never(yeah, Iknow...a dangerous word)had one stick and I've ridden in all possible conditions. I have been thinking about fitting both my quads with them(twist throttles). Even my wife hates the thumbers. Done right, I can't beleive that they could be a problem. Proper maintenance alway helps too.

Another option we have been throwing around, is putting trigger throttles on them like we have on our JetSki's(stand-ups only, no sofas in this camp).

Old 04-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey BradW. There is also an alternative to the twist thottle to ease your sore thumb. They do make thumb throttle extensions. It extends the thumb throttle more into the grip area and the possibility of using your palm rather than your thumb may help out thumb fatigue. On the Can-am Outies, that issue is a big one. I just purchased two for my two Outies. I hope they will work as well as people have described them working. I heard that twist thottles are considered more likely to cause accidental acceleration due to ground conditions that rely on total control of the grips at all time. Hard to manuver an atv in certain conditions when your grip support is the throttle.

Quick Reply: Anyone run a twist throttle?