Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Rancher ES fuel leaking from carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES fuel leaking from carb

Hoping someone can help a noob.
I have a Honda 06 TRX 350 FE. It's been sitting for about 2 months in the garage. I went to move it today and let it run for a bit. Started right up and then stalled after 30-60 seconds. Tried to refire it and it wouldn't start. Tried it about 20 mins later, still wouldn't fire. Pulled seat off and removed air cleaner and gave it a quick shot of 2+2 in the carb. Restarted it and it fired right up. Ran for about 20-30 seconds with me feathering the throttle, then stalled. After it stalled I looked down and I was standing in a puddle of gasoline. I looked down and fuel was gushing from the carb and filling the air filter housing. Fuel was leaking out a drain tube underneath the atv (dain fir the air filter housing?)
I turned the fuel petcock to the off position and the fuel stopped leaking. Anyone ever deal with this before?

Old 02-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher ES fuel leaking from carb

On the bottom of the carb is a float bowl. Inside that is a float, and a float valve that is designed to stop gas from continuing to run into the carb once the float bowl is filled to the proper level.

A blocked fuel tank vent can cause the gas tank to build enough pressure to push past the valve in hot weather, but most likely there is some gunk or deposit in that float valve, allowing fuel to overflow the bowl.

There is a hose on the carb for a vent/overflow in the carb bowl, but if the float valve doesn't work right gas can flow into the carb faster than it will run out the drain, so gas would end up running into the intake manifold and/or air filter.

Anyway, check the tank vent, and then remove, disassemble and clean the carb, and inspect the float and float valve and seat carefully, and I bet that will solve your problem.

The next time you go to park the quad when it will be sitting for months, be sure to shut the fuel off and let the machine run until it empties the float bowl and dies. Alternately, you could shut the gas off and drain the float with the drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl. Anyway, not having gas drying out in the float bowl while it is sitting will greatly reduce the formation of varnish in the carb.