Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Best of both worlds utilitly/sport? Why not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 02:12 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best of both worlds utilitly/sport? Why not?

So I read alot where people say that you should not expect speed and the ability to jump like a sport bike when you purchase a 4x4 utility. I have been looking around and the closest thing I can find is the Wolverine. I just wonder, with technology were it's at, why can't a "perfect" best of both worlds quad be made.

I have been having lots of fun on my KQ300, but it has been just a starter for me. I need something that can act like a sport bike but locks up like a mud slinger when needed. Something that will break wheels whenever I want it to and shoot dirt twenty feet of the berm, you now what I mean. I also really like to get in the air any time I can, so suspension is a huge issue.

I'm not saying this quad isn't out there, I just haven't come up on one perfect enough to purchase yet, ANY HELP? EXPEREINCES? NON-Bias opinons?

Old 06-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

The Can-Am Renegade 800 will be as good as it gets for a crossover "best of both worlds". The Reny 500 is very potent as well and even moreso than a Wolverine!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Wolverine and maybe to a lesser extent the Rancher are 4x4's that seem to have an emphasis on sporty handling.

In the big power department, there is the Renegade, though it isn't a light weight machine.

In some ways the goals of sport and 4x4 mud/utility machines are mutually exclusive. 4x4 owners often value ground clearance, where sport machines handle better with a lower center of gravity, for example.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is that for the heavy-duty needed for all types of 4x4 operation, you get a bike that is al least 600 pounds empty. I think that the manufacturers could tweak that somewhat by using better materials, but then you have a quad that costs 20 grand - not very sellable. For now the best solution is to move up to the big bore machines. Many of the big machines like the Outlander 800, BF 750, Polaris 800 etc, are flat-out faster than just about any sport quad in a straight line drag. They still fight that 600+ pound weight factor, so the 2wd, 350 lb sport bike will walk all over it on trails and whoops.
Even the Renegade is just an Outlander with better suspension and no racks - other than that it's the exact same machine. There are lots of guys out there with 'utility' machines who have invested in better shocks, wheels and tires - these bikes are definately heavy on the 'sport ' side of sport utility.

Jaybee

Old 06-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone does make a true sport/utility let me know. Until then I'm sticking with my stump-clearing 4x4 IRS.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Range Rover

I owned a Polaris Scrambler 500 for about a week (the story takes longer to tell....) but when it was running, it was a great fun quad. I think perfect for trails.

First, it is just a Sportsman 500HO motor, in a somewhat lighter quad. It has reverse. That's all I should have to say about any machine weighing what quads do.

With the solid rear axle it tossed the back end around with ease- and I didn't have the flat profile racing tires either. On demand 4x4 makes it trail useful. At least here where I ride, there's virtually no mud and most trails would be perfect for a Scrambler.

It was just bad luck that I don't still have that thing. From the brief time I did ride it, I really enjoyed the Scrambler and honestly few people I see on full blown race quads can go much faster on the trails. Track sure, but nothing with trees and cliffs.

I think those 4x4 sport models are brilliant.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Pro Rider

Thing is, yes we have the technology now to create something very light yet still strong and tough. However this technology, titanium, carbon fibre, honeycomb polymers, all still cost a lot. The quad built out of those materials would be so prohibitivly expensive, no-one would buy it.

Right now, other than the weight, the Renegade 500/800 is probably going to be the most fun 4wd to get. I have never rode one, but sitting on one at the dealership, man did it ever have a sporty, light, aggresive feel to it. Wolverine is much lighter, but sacrifices a lot of power for it.

-Krait