Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Do all ATV batteries have the same cranking amps?

Old 07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all ATV batteries have the same cranking amps?

When I buy a replacement battery for my sled or ATV I just measure the dimension to make sure it fits in the battery cage and off I go to Wall mart. Both my sled and ATV are easily pull start with one hand however.

My friends 660 Grizzly with no decompression and almost takes two people to pull on the rope handle to turn it over needs a battery now.

Would a ATV like that need a battery with more cranking amps ?

I never paid attention to cranking amps on these small batteries like I do with automotive ones.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Well I do know you can get 12v batteries in different amps for 'powersports'. Weither or not they would all fit in the quad is another matter. How many amps is his current battery?

-Krait

Old 07-13-2008, 07:00 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Fitting is no problem, Wall mart has evey demention there is. Not sure what what his old battery written on it ,mine just says 12V 18 AH. AH stands for Amp Hours what ever that mean?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Batteries for different ATV's are indeed different capacities.

The stock battery for a 500 Foreman FM is rated at 12 amp hours and 200 cold cranking amps, and the stock battery for a 680 Rincon is rated at 18 amp hours and 250 cold cranking amps, for example.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Regarding amp hours, if a battery can deliver an amp of current over one hour, then it's capacity is 1 amp hour. Since a battery will deliver more amp hours if it is discharged more slowly, amp hours are rated on a time scale.

Starting batteries are generally rated on a 4 hour scale. A 20ah battery would deliver 5 amps for 4 hours before being fully discharged (down to 10.5v). RV batteries are generally rated on a 20 hour scale.

Battery type is also an important consideration. The stock battery is an AGM type, for absorbed glass mat. Cheaper batteries are often flooded cell.

Compared to flooded cell batteries, AGM's have a longer service life, resist freezing better, resist vibration better, and most AGM's can be run at any angle and won't spill if tipped or even if broken. Flooded cell batteries often require a vent hose in motorcycle applications....

Bottom line, unless you are really broke, I'd go with a good brand name AGM of at least the amp hour rating of the stock one.

I saw a thread somewhere that Honda had a part kit for a bigger battery that will fit in the Rincon that would improve starting in extreme cold weather (like Alaska in the winter). Yuasa apparently builds a battery of higher amp hours/cca, but the terminal locations are different, so the kit comes with longer battery cables...

You may be able to find a larger capacity battery that will fit in your battery compartment by browsing through Yuasa's web page.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:41 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for the battery info, we went to this site found this Yuasa,s for a 660 grizzly

They state

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>This is the High Performance version of this battery offering a whopping 310 CCA. </end quote></div>

So the it has 310 cranking amps I guess.

I quess I was just getting lucky at Wal Mart when I just bought the cheapest Battery that had the correct demention. They all had the vent hose BTW.

Will stay away from those kind from now on .

Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Looking in their application guide, it looks like a SP 500 takes a YTX14AH-BS, and the YTX20HL-BS isn't much different, size wise...

It looks like it would also fit in a Rincon.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can I find out how many amps it takes for a 150 redcat and 110 sunl? I got them used an don't think there the right ones. He did state he changed them just not sure if there right. They both have 12v 5.0amps thanks for any help,

The following users liked this post:
Jon linn (12-25-2022)
Old 12-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

It also depends on how the ATV gets used. If you start with a pull cord and rarely use headlights, the battery can be quite small in capacity. With my Arctic Cat Diesel, I plow snow, it has to start down to -20F. Trust me, with glow plugs, a high compression diesel takes a lot of juice, plus head lights and a 5,000 lb winch running the plow. I went with an Optima Yellow Top with 550 CCA's. Works like a charm. The AC Diesel has an alternator that does a much better job than a stator, too. Just saying, for the little Chinese models, you won't need a very heavy battery.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:46 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrex
It also depends on how the ATV gets used. If you start with a pull cord and rarely use headlights, the battery can be quite small in capacity. With my Arctic Cat Diesel, I plow snow, it has to start down to -20F. Trust me, with glow plugs, a high compression diesel takes a lot of juice, plus head lights and a 5,000 lb winch running the plow. I went with an Optima Yellow Top with 550 CCA's. Works like a charm. The AC Diesel has an alternator that does a much better job than a stator, too. Just saying, for the little Chinese models, you won't need a very heavy battery.
That should be enough CCAs to start most cars. I think 600 would be enough to start my truck, but it has more than that.

I don't know anything about batteries for kids quads but 5.0 CCA doesn't sound right. That must be amp hours. I found a battery online for 50cc and 90cc scooters and ATVs that has 4 AH and 80 CCAs, and another battery for a 150cc that has 80 CCAs.