Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Grizzly VS Sportsman HO (Dirtwheels Shoutout)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as far as it goes the Sportsman got the victory because of its technology. But the grizz beat it in the two main aspects. 1st Reliability which should be on everyones mind when buying, you don't want to be 100 miles in the woods and break down. 2nd aspect Power, I can say I was suprised here, with all the comotion i had heard, the grizzly has more low end power and on top end they are dead even.
The straight axel gave it the nod for working i imagine because they did mention that it has more power for working, and is better suited.
Well there you have it. All Yamaha needs to do now is get better riding suspension which i personally find pretty good compared to other Sport Utility machines, and a better 4*4 system where you can lock the front end, not electric with sensors because i hate not having the 4*4 working when going down steep slipery hills. If yamaha could add these things it would be the ultimate ATV for sure.

Right!

2000 Grizz
2500 km's.
2000lb superwinch

Old 01-30-2001, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Did the SP have a breakdown or something? I don't quite see how they can quote one machine over another as being more reliable when they're the newest machines on the market (I'm assuming the '01s?) Doesn't seem like enough time to say a machine is definately reliable or not. The SP should have had the edge on the suspension though for sure, don't think there's much arguing with that over the Grizz. I agree with you though about the rear axle. For hard work, I'll take a solid axle over IRS any day of the week and twice on sundays. Nothing against IRS, its great for the trails, but for work, I just prefer a solid strait axle. The power thing was interesting to hear though, I thought the HO could actually beat the Grizz, that the standard SP was closer to the Grizz's top end. Interesting. I know what you mean about the 4wd/locker engagement. Just like a pickup-leave the push button four wheel drive's for the women, I'll take my old fashioned shift lever any day-is it just me, or maybe a guy thing in general?. You know, more power, bigger tires, levers to pull in which you KNOW you're engaged-and, easier to work on with no computers!

Happy trails!

Mike

Old 01-30-2001, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Excaclty, to me computer parts are made for a desk. An ATV is made for the bush, water and mud oh ya and snow. I have never heard of any problems with a KING quad with the diff lock, but machines that have these sensor things have problems.
Another thing, if you work your machine with heavy equipment, you don't want your suspension too soft, it will sag, where as a stiff suspension seems to take the load better.
My father inlaws Traxter XT is really stiff i find compared to my grizzly but it handles heavy weight better like a snow plow.
I now realize if you want a work bike your suspension has to be stiffer, and if you just want to trail ride the softer the better.

Old 01-31-2001, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

cowboy,
I never had a doubt that the Grizzly had more power. I've ridden both, and the Grizzly is stronger of the bottom, and apparently even on the top. But for a 4x4, power off the bottom is far more useful. This would also be the third review in a row that I have read about a SP500 where the darn thing broke down in some fashion. Reliability is one of the most important things in a quad, you and I have that in our quads. One of these years Polaris will get it right!

Rick

Old 02-02-2001, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

i just read the article and i knew the grizzly was doomed when the author called the grizzly's air box lousy. that's a strong word to use when you are trying to be as objective as possible. this magazine is clearly biased towards polaris because every month they do a feature article on a polaris product. i have nothing against polaris but i think the editors should be more objective or change the name of the magazine to Polaris World: Attempts to Overthrow OUR King.

just a thought,

texascat

Old 02-06-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Both of these quads are good. Thay both have their strenghts and weaknesses. If you want a rock solid powerful get the job done quad, buy the Grizzly. If your needing something that is alittle less powerful, and alittle less rock solid, but will take you were few men have gone before, buy the Sportsman.
I have ridden both and would take the Grizzly over the Sportsman. But then again I'm married. If it were up to me alone, I'd have both! However, I still really hate how FAT the Sportsman is!

Rick

Old 02-07-2001, 04:56 PM
Range Rover

You Griz guys need to find someone who has an H.O. and test them for yourself.You ever try pulling something with the griz and have it wheel hop or go up a steep hill and have the same problem.My son has a 00 griz we go riding every weekend.And every weekend he says "I wish I'D bought an H.O".We also drag raced the two and the H.O. beat the griz long and short.On a rutted out muddy hill the griz had problems getting up it,the H.O.had none.On a long steep hill the H.O. beat it up it.We did our own test we know which is best as far as performance goes. As far as problems with dependability ,dont know yet havent had either one long enough to say.