Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Looking for work ATV

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:00 AM
bav
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for work ATV

Thanks cherokee - I'm a novice on ATV stuff. I haven't heard that about the about just how low honda 1st is. I'm learning a bunch with this post! I've seen other makes of disks (King Kutter, etc) that go on a ball hitch. If I remember right the Rancher is suppose to have a hitch receiver? Do you know if honda typically has a pull start for backup too? (That'd be nice due to remote location and dead battery potential if it sits a few weeks before I can get back there)

Old 12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
DCT
Banned

My neighbor has a Rancher that he plows with. I can fully attest to how low 1st gear is. I've seen him plow with it and talked to him. 1st gear is almost "stopped". LOL Yes, the Rancher has a pull start for backup... at least the newer ones do... not sure about the old older ones, but I bet they do to.

My son has an 06' Arctic Cat 400. It is a fine machine... EFI, Hi/Lo range, locking front diff, IRS and some other stuff. It plows and pulls anything my Sportsman can. However, it's not the best riding ATV... that's for sure.

Lot's of great machines to choose from... good luck.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I can vouch for a belt being good for work. I have over 1200 miles on my original belt. I use the X2 probably 75% for heavy loads and work, maybe about 25% for recreation. (Recreation for me is hard rock climbs, mud/waterholes, ice covered ponds, etc.) If you have a huge load you're not going to want to be in HI gear anyhow. Momentum is a bad thing when hauling heavy loads. Hondas are fantastic machines. I just don't care for the limited slip front end. Every other manufacturer has some way of locking up the front tires. Either a button, a lever, or just being in 4wd. Can Am (some of the fastest stock utilities) and Polaris use slightly different systems to lock up the front. I'd give the nod to Polaris over Can Am in this instance. I've been in enough situations where I, almost, got stuck. The extra tire turning made the difference for the last few feet of the mudhole. Also, check the manufacturer's websites for load and tow ratings. On stability, that is another good reason to look at the 2-up machines. Best front to back stability due to longer wheelbase. Also, the X2 is 48" wide. Very stable. I've gone places where I really tested the machine's abilities. I rolled it one time on a downhill off camber corner. The only reason it went over is an error in my steering where I hit a rock on the uphill side that I should have steered around. We're talking about a 40 degree slope.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

yep, hondas have LOW 1st gears, 2nd too! the older 90's-06 rancher series came standard with a pull start. the 07+ have them as an acessorie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] (coast saveing crap) for $150 installed. but the sencable dealers will install them.

i want to correct myself, hondas locking diff system is called trax-lock, WITH a torque sensative front diff. not torx-lock lol. i guess i just mooshed the two words together to save time [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] but it dose the same thing.

just wanted to say the CVT and newer generation belt drives will usually last well if you use the right gear. i would bet i could go out and buy an 8-9 year old atv with the origional belt on it! if you watch for any water, and know when to use low a belt will last.

good luck

Old 12-25-2008, 12:39 AM
bav
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everybody - I've pretty much come full circle in my research and decision. Hopefully in a month or so I can track down a Rancher AT with power steering and test it. I think unless test driving of a few turns up something, I'll probably go with the Rancher. It does seem to have everything I need/want and the information here answered a LOT of questions! Any of you have opinions on the Tufline discs? It seems like those are pretty well regarded. A disc will be the big ticket after the ATV.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

I have a very similar situation to yours here in North East Iowa along the bluffs of the Upper Iowa river...30 acres of hillside woods that is a constant source of fire wood and upkeep...I successfully use my Polaris 400 HO for pretty much everything the woods can throw at me, pulling sizable logs, hauling firewood, clearing and working up food plot areas and the never ending brush clearing.

While this machine does a great job for me, it is really a compromise since recreation is still its main use and is the reason I bought this particular model!

Over time I have come to a couple conclusions...

First, if work is your first priority, Honda or Polaris should be at the top of your list!
For years, these two brands have made a name for themselves on the farm and work trades! They are generally designed and built with work in mind!

Second, when doing farm/woods related work, weight is definitely king!!!
While the Ranch 420 AT is a great bike, it weighs in at somewhere around 150# less then the Polaris 500 x2 which is a MAJOR factor in any pulling or tillage activity!

I really do like the 420 AT, (riding buddy has one), and the excellent tranny makes this bike more powerful then it really is, but the 4x4 system and the relatively light weight, limit it's usefulness in the woods, but he also bought it more for fun then work.

I would have to agree that the Polaris x2 would be a great choice here or one of the heavier Hondas...the Polaris 500 HO may also be a great choice if lower price is an important factor, new 500 HOs can be bought for $5000 or less!

Good luck in your decision and most importantly enjoy your time in the woods!

Old 12-27-2008, 06:32 PM
bav
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Joker - I'll add the weight factor into my decision. Since you've got a similar situation, how is 400 at maneuvering around trees and up/down steep inclines while working? Any problems with it?

Old 12-27-2008, 07:08 PM
bav
Weekend Warrior

I like what I read on the 400 and 500 HO, either of those could be options as well it looks like. While the Rancher is 50# or so lighter, would 50# be enough to make any difference? If so, I could always drop a bag of feed on one of the racks for the added weight (or on the disc frame depending on how it's made). I really appreciate any and all ideas. I figure I've got about 2 months or so before I am at the point I HAVE to get something. Research gives me something to do in the winter! Thanks

Old 12-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Don't mean to butt in, but as I posted earlier, I always added extra weight to my ATV when I used one for work purposes and also to make it easier to steer when riding double. Weight is the enemy of performance and horsepower, but you need it for traction when pulling loads, equipment and such, so it would seem to be beneficial to have a lighter machine that you can add weight to when you need it and take it off when you don't so you will have better performance. I would recommend against adding weight on your racks for traction in the hills as it will make you more likely to tip over. I always did this when operating on the flat as it is infinitely easier than attaching it to other points.

It sounds as though you have narrowed your choices down to a couple of really viable machines and don't think you would go wrong with either. One thing you can be sure of is that whatever you get will be a great improvement over walking and dragging stuff. My first "work" ATV, actually my first of any kind was a used YFM 225 2WD as that was all I could afford and it really was handy and saved me a lot of steps and enabled me to do things I could only dream of before. I have gone on to tractors, Rhino and Grizzly 700, but have kept my first one and still like it.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 AM
bav
Weekend Warrior

Don't worry about butting in, I'm new to this and still researching so I can use all the help and suggestions I can get. After I posted that I got to wondering what effect it would have on stability. Now I'm thinking adding weight to the frame of the disc would be the better approach. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Looking for work ATV