Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

New ATV Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ATV Trunk

Currently I have a Kimpex Deluxe trunk with the seat. It's been a good box, but it is shaped in such a way that makes it hard to use all of the available space. Also, the danged latches are always sticking.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a Tamarack Wrap Around trunk at Sportsmen's Warehouse. It seemed like a solidly built basic box. The problem was that the bottom was about 16" wide and rested on top of my seat by about 3 inches. I had to return it.

I've noticed that there is huge differences in the quality of the various boxes I've seen. There is no where close to me that has a decent selection of different brands and styles of boxes. I hate to order on online without having seen and touched it in person.

Is anyone aware of a somewhat comprehensive review of the various hard boxes available? Ideally, I would like to see a Consumer Reports style review of everything out there. I know that's a tall order.

Short of a comprehensive review, can you tell me what type of box you have and what you like or don't like about it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default New ATV Trunk

Not one lousy response... In case anyone is interested, I'll share my findings. Below are the boxes I looked pretty hard at:

Kimpex ATV Trunk Box w/ Top Rails 215.99 Link
Tamarack Titan Series Cargo-Rest Trunk 249.99 Link
Plano Rear-Mount ATV Box 139.99 Link
Quadraxatv Hi-Volume Storage Box with Backrest 269.99 Link
Moose Rear Cargo Box 183.95 Link
Tusk MTS Rear ATV Trunk 179.99 Link
Montana Jack Magnum Box 289.00 Link
Quad Boss Rear Wrap Trunk 189.99 Link
SHAD (SHATV80) ATV/Quad Rear Case Backrest 199.99 Link

My Rubicon only has about 12.5" between the back of the seat and the back of the rack. It's hard to get the center width (rack contact) measurement on a lot of the boxes, so I spent a lot of time on the phone with the manufactures holding a tape measure.

I liked the Montana Jack the best, but it was just a little too wide in the center (13"). I ended up settling for the Tamarack. I say "settled" because it is not perfect. I don't like the fact that it opens from the front. I also do not like the latches - they are metal and look like they could bend out of shape if you hit them hard with your leg. They are also sharp, so it you're wearing shorts and get off the quad with the latch open, you could cut yourself. The box also has wasted space with cup holder type openings towards the front. I believe I can cut these out with a Dremel tool.

If anyone has any questions about any of the boxes above, let me know.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Range Rover
Default New ATV Trunk

I also was looking at boxes but i refuse to pay this kind of money for a box!?!?! So i went to walmart and bought one of those plastic trunks. It has metal hinges and metal latches and aplace for a padlock. Ya it is a little flimsy but for $19.99 i am not compaining to bad and it fits perfectly on my rear rack of my 96 Bayou FLF300C

Old 03-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default New ATV Trunk

Now how is that helping the economy?

Just kidding. I thought about that too, but I just couldn't find anything that would fit or would work for my needs.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Range Rover
Default New ATV Trunk

I hear ya on the economy but this was 2 years ago lol. And this just happened to fit. Good luck on your hunt!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Plano and it has been a good box. The new ones have better lid hardware than mine. My latches are bungee and need some help.
I mounted mine with three u bolts and it withstood the Pinnacle Creek trip. Pretty rough stuff up there and the box never moved.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't use a box but my friend has a Tamarack wrap-around style. He's been using it for several years and loves it.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

I bought this one and use it on the rear rack. Its great and reasonably priced;

Moose Utility Division - Product Catalog

Old 03-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

Lets revive this old thread haha
Im looking for a box/trunk, theres a guy with a 4 year old Kimpex deluxe that he wanted 50 bucks for, is that a pretty good deal?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thats a great price I love mine.
Name:  DSCN2342.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  140.7 KB

Quick Reply: New ATV Trunk