Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2000, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wannabee, are you suggesting Warn deliberately limits the pull of the A2000 winch relative to the A2500 by shipping small-gauge, high-resistance hookup wire too small to allow the motor to pull to its potential, for the miniscule production cost savings in a dozen feet or so of electrical cable?

I hope Warn does not pursue this economy, for the sake of their customers. Warn did not skimp on wire rope, using 3/16" diameter for both A2000 and A2500 models.

However, if Warn uses small gauge hookup wire as a current-limiting device, then Sportsman400 need only change his setup, using larger electrical cable (9:8 diameter ratio, approximately), and he'll pick up 500 pounds of pulling force.

Thanks for bringing up an interesting side of the discussion, the economic part. I'm often swept away by performance considerations, ignoring the reality of costs and other unpleasant topics (e.g., "Why doesn't someone build a 750 cc EFI desmodromic-valved turbocharged utility quad?").

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 01-28-2000).]

Old 01-28-2000, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appology accepted,though not necessary.I'm kinda new to this, but i was not aware that the Warn switch was problematic too.I thought it was just big, ugly & awkward to mount with those 4 fat wires to plumb to it.In fact, it's so big I just assumed it had monster contacts inside. Do I need to worry about it's reliability too? I'm thinking about a plow, so maybe I'll just start shopping for a DPDT solenoid since you convinced me that it's not the big mystery i originally thought.Still need to come up with an acceptable handlebar switch.My neighbor once ordered a Superwinch switch-but sent it back, the mounting looked cheesy.Then i heard they improved the switch.Then there's that Cycle Country electric shift switch............

Old 01-28-2000, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

For all I know, the Warn manual switch is plenty robust to handle the A2000's current.

Good luck finding a 12-volt DPDT solenoid relay capable of handling the required load (outside of the winch manufacturers' catalogs). My own search resulted only in amusing electrical supply house clerks.

Tree Farmer

Old 01-28-2000, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

Wannabe and TreeFarmer, I just emailed you the list of parts that WARN provided me with that make up the $175.00 winch upgrade.

Old 01-28-2000, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

MissouriGriz, thanks for the email parts list. After receiving it I called Warn Customer Service and talked to "Ann". She verified that indeed there is no change to the winch mechanically when upgrading the A2000 to the A2500. The additional capacity is gained through more efficient electrical connections to the motor as I mentioned earlier. From the parts list it shows using 6ga wire, ONE contactor, a toggle switch (very heavy duty looking affair) and a 6 foot remote cord. Rest of the upgrade kit is basically connectors and hardware. I don't know if that ONE contactor is really only one contactor or more than that, but the parts list shows (qty 1).

Ann clarified that there is no handlebar mounted rocker or toggle switch. Rather there is a handle bar HOLDER that holds the remote toggle switch, which appears to be a fist sized device. You can see a pic of it at the warn site www.warn.com.

So, for you A2000 folks who want to gain another 500 lbs of pull, it's available through Warn for $175 and doesn't require any physical changes to the winch assembly itself. Or, you can strike out on your own, find some suitable electrical components to reduce the resistance between your atv's electrical source and the winch motor and achieve the same results. Seems to me like fair game for the aftermarket dealers if they can come up with some qualiy components and still make a profit.

Old 01-28-2000, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

There is no gain in pulling force. Look at the specs. They both pull 2500lbs. The wires just can't transfer enought power, safely.

If the kit added 500 lbs. then maybe even bigger wires than the 2500 on a 2000 would alow it to pull 3000 lb.

Try ordering the remote switch to the 2000 and putting bigger wires.

www.warn.com

[This message has been edited by BONER (edited 01-28-2000).]

Old 01-28-2000, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

The "Hand-Held" remote is the same style you get with the larger Warn truck winches. It is pretty indestructable. The only thing that looks stronger is their commercial/military remote.

Old 02-03-2000, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

I purchased a remote kit for my winch from NORTHERN TOOL. The kit cost about $80. It comes with a 12' remote hookup(if you need to unwind it), an overload breaker, and a dual solenoid box that is very well designed. It easily wires up and looks great. I can send some pics, or more info if needed. It has made things a lot easier, and yes its more of a convenience. It sure does make it handy to be able to just flip the switch on the hand unit for forward or reverse, then squeeze the trigger (away you go).

Old 02-03-2000, 12:51 AM
Trailblazer

I can't find a Northern catalog in the house. Figures! Can you send me the part number? Pictures would be great, too. What winch are you using it with?

Old 02-03-2000, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

Right, Boner! There's no way an A2000's pull can be increased 25 % by decreased resistance, unless maybe cryogenic super-cooled super-conductivity is involved. The designations, A2500 and A2000, are rather arbitrary, with the A2500 coming with a DPDT relay ("contactor") and a SPDT remote toggle switch, while the A2000 uses a manual reversing switch.

Tree Farmer

Quick Reply: Winch Upgrade