Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

2UP Machine or just buy the 2up box

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2UP Machine or just buy the 2up box

I have searched on the thread and I have seen some different thoughts on this.

I'm buying my first atv and it's really hard to find a decent 2up. There's some I like but they seem to be a lot more expensive then the non 2up versions.

I would imagine that I will have my wife or kids on the back 6, 5, & 2 (when she's older) atleast 50% of the time.

I'm really leaning toward spending the extra $750-1000 to get an official 2up machine although I feel alone in my decision because every second non 2up I look at has the 2 up seat.

It's my first atv and I don't have the experience to tell if an actual 2 up is needed.

Thoughts?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'd Like to hear opinions on this too as I am about to buy a rear setup for my wheeler I already own. and to add to your question from what I have seen on the products they say "not for a passenger" on there descriptions so to add would it be considered a single person ATV unless purchased as a 2up?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

2-up machines are designed for 2-up riding. 1-up machines are not. Biggest factor is safety. On a 1-up the passenger typically is sitting behind the rear axle causing a lifting effect on the front. Also, you should never go beyond the rear rack capacity so you'd be limited between the storage box/rear seat and the passenger as far as weight goes. Going up a steep hill on a 1-up with a passenger really unloads the front end. Less steering input and more likely to tip backwards and roll end over end down the hill. I can't count the number of times I've read about people loading a passenger or even two passengers and getting in accidents going up a hill.

The argument for a 1-up is that is has more usable ground clearance due to its shorter wheelbase and will be better in tight twisty trails.

2-up machines have the passenger mostly or completely in front of the rear axle. Weight is centered on the quad between the rider and passenger. I've had a Sportsman X2 and my present Outlander Max. I don't even really notice the passenger back there. They're made to handle the weight and center it so the machine isn't as prone to lightening the front end it at all. If anything, the added weight will give more traction if rider and passenger are seated between the front and rear axles. Going up hills with a longer wheelbase is like the difference in tippiness between a Jeep Wrangler and a crew cab with a long bed. The crew cab is nowhere near as likely to roll backwards end over end. It's funny how all the boxes that include the "passenger seat" have a disclaimer that says the seat is not for passenger use. They know they have to cover their backsides from lawsuits.

Only downsides to the 2-up are more money, tougher navigation in tight twisty trails, and breakover angle effecting usable ground clearance.

There are 3 companies that make 2-ups. Arctic Cat, which I know little to nothing about, Polaris and Can-Am.

Polaris makes their Touring model in the value ranged 500 HO, a 550 and an 850. The Touring has a very comfortable ride for both passenger and rider. They also make the Sportsman X2 which has a convertible dumpbox/rear passenger seat. You can go between either mode in 15 seconds or less. The X2 also has the highest rated toting capacity in a 4 wheel ATV. 400 lbs. rating and it WILL carry it with ease.

Can-Am makes the Outlander Max. Comes with a very comfortable seat for the passenger. Overall, not quite as comfortable as the Polaris Touring but very close. One thing I really like about the Max is that it has plenty of rack space even when the passenger seat is installed. If you are riding 1-up you have a nice small storage box that goes in the spot where the passenger seat goes and tons of rack space. Can-Ams also have the best power per cc of any of the makers out there.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

50% of with younger kids is alot of double riding. My Sportsman is more comfortable and roomy for both rider and passenger just on the ATV seat, then my Grizzly with the rear rack passenger seat with the foot rest rear fender guard option, due to its larger chassis size.

With smaller kids the seat would be a must, no need to hang on to the driver.
Those things are selling new for $300 now. The foot rest are nice also,they give the passenger a place for there feet and protect the rear fenders.
Thats why I kept the foot rest even though I sold the seat for $100.

This is the same set up I had even the wind shield/fairing. Notice the foot rest.

Those seats are a pain to take on and off

Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

The 2 up versions I believe put the passenger up a little higher so they can see better. I grew up riding behind my dad on a honda 200. We never had a problem but he also rode smart when we were both on there. Most big 4x4's have rack capacities of 150 to 200lbs. I think if you are planning on doing a lot of 2 up riding I would set one. Otherwise if it is once in a while or just to take the kids for a short ride I think yo would be fine with a one up machine.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Those add on rear rack seats also alow the passenger to sit higher then the driver.

I did try it out with a adult passenger before getting rid of it and it was very stable and comfortable for both rider and passenger even on my Mid size chassis 350 Grizzly.

If I would of put it on my much larger 500 full size Chassis I think I could of put another 3rd passenger between me and the back seat passenger.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the input.

I'm closing the deal on a touring next week. With all the 2up riding and my first machine I rather do it properly.

Thanks agian everyone! love this site!

Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something I don't think has been mentioned is that riding double on a 1-up quad will get you a ticket in some places.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Something I don't think has been mentioned is that riding double on a 1-up quad will get you a ticket in some places.
Yep, depending on the state or riding area you might need a dedicated 2-up machine to ride the trails with a passenger.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Yep, depending on the state or riding area you might need a dedicated 2-up machine to ride the trails with a passenger.
About that.
I called the OPP once and double riding is not legal on any public land even with a 2 up.
On bush trails and crownland its ok on any ATV.

Ontario does not recognizes the difference between a regular ATV and a 2up yet.

Quick Reply: 2UP Machine or just buy the 2up box