Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

4wd 4 wheeler ,help me decide which one

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter what you decide to buy, if you buy a used one make sure you know where it came from and how well it was cared for. If you have to start making repairs it can get into your pocket pretty deep. Personally I would buy new. Sometimes you can make payments cheaper than constantly spending more $ on a used one.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

King quad 500 or 750 with ps..

Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought a new 2013 polaris sportsman 500 ho which in my opinion would be the way to go. You can get them brand new for cheaper than some other atvs are going for used. And if your going to be in flooded areas/mud the 500 has more than enough power and probably the highest ground clearance. Plus there isn't much to complain about the automatic 4wd.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default re

Hi,I founa local 2010 Honda Rancher,1500 miles,Power steering,no winch,fnt andrear racks,electric and pull starter.
Adult ridded,garage kept ,adult maintained.
Manul transmission and limted slip tranny ,2or 4wd.
Guy is asking $3700.00
would this be good for my purposes?Is this a good deal,bad deal ,so so deal?
Thanks
Craig

Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

first of all, an atv purchase is no different than a regular vehicle purchase, ride that sucker. put it in 4wd, forward/reverse turning left/right and hearing what the axles/cvts are doing, then use it in 2wd forward/reverse. listen to it, feel it, really check it out. put it through the paces. ride it long enough to get it to normal operating temperature. obviously you'll probably test ride it during daylight hours, THUS, turn all of the lights on to make sure they work. really go through it as a potential buyer. don't be afraid to ask questions, after all...you don't have to buy that guy's quad as there are others on the market.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default re 4 wheeler

That's a fact there are more of them out there.
Matter of fact I found another one ,Garage Kept 2009 Honda Foreman.
1500 miles,manual shift ,Pull or es,2500 Warn winch,stick stoppers,almost new 27 inch ITP EXTra tires and 14 ITP ss 212 wheels for the same money.
But it does not have power steering.
Trying to decide between those two right now.
On the one hand I like the idea of power steering and a year newer Rancher but on the other hand I like the idea of the warn winch,tires and wheels of the Foreman ! Neither one snorkeled,both garage kept,taken good care of (supposedly as I haven,t rode either of them yet.
Plus the guy with the Foreman will do some trading with me for a Colt ar 15 I have which means I would have to come up with less cash !
Decisions Decsions !
Probably either one would do what I need done just fine.
How long do you think I would need to ride it ,30 minutes an hour ?
Thanks, Craig

Old 08-23-2013, 05:59 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by 83cj7
No matter what you decide to buy, if you buy a used one make sure you know where it came from and how well it was cared for. If you have to start making repairs it can get into your pocket pretty deep. Personally I would buy new. Sometimes you can make payments cheaper than constantly spending more $ on a used one.
I disagree.

I only bought used ( 5 of them) and save thousands and never got a bad one yet, also I never knew the seller in my life. Start it run it . Its hard to hide broken. Even if I bought a bad one with the money I save I can replace the entire motor and come out ahead.

Everyone on this site has a used ATV and most people are happy with them . After the first tank of gas their considered used and dropped a grand.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Go with new king quad 500 or 750 I prefer the camos..get power steering..smoothest atvs out there

Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 420 sounds like a good deal with power steering. P.S is not a cheap ad on option.
The problem with the Rancher you will not like the small 24" stock tires and a 25" or 26" uprade will cost $500 or more , and with its odd ball 11" rear rims your tire selection gets much more limited since tire companies cater to the 12" and 14" rims mostly.

I don,t know what Honda was thinking when the put small 24" tires on a 420cc 4wd ATV.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

I ended up getting the 2009 Honda Foreman 500 after a good check out.
Thanks for all the help guys and input.
Here is a couple of pics of my New to me Foreman.

Quick Reply: 4wd 4 wheeler ,help me decide which one