Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

99 polaris sportsman 500 stuck in awd

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

DON'T put 80/90 in the hubs!!! Takes a very thin fluid. Type F transmission fluid can be used if in a pinch,but the Polaris Demand Drive hub fluid is by far the best and a quart would last you a long time as each hub only hold a couple ounces at the most..

Old 04-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all right just thought i should ask had some around house i will just order polaris brand hub oil so.I pulled my wheels off and my hubs will spin but really need to put love in to it so i think its time for a change and re grease bearings if i can save them if not i will just get new ones starting to sound not electrical more mechanical to me plus my brake is not on to

Old 04-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

update i pulled my hub caps off right hand side no hub oil at all not a drop left hand side hub oil but all most none so i think i might of found my issue plus you were right about the armature plate magnetizing

Old 04-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by oneman116
update i pulled my hub caps off right hand side no hub oil at all not a drop left hand side hub oil but all most none so i think i might of found my issue plus you were right about the armature plate magnetizing
Common problem even with oil in the hubs on the plates magnetizing,worse if there isn't any at all. replace both plates even if only one is magnetized as the other will do it also. Check the bearings and also for any wear on the hub strut seal sleeve along with the casting on the strut itself for any ground down places. This is the thin spot the strut coil slips over. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

so if the armature plate is magnetizing the plate will suck its self back on the coil or strut and stay on or should it move freely like a washer i am asking because i dont no if that is normal on polaris atvs never done it before i had a really hard time pulling the one off that had oil in the hub and thats the side that pulls really hard when in reverse with override on all so

Old 04-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by oneman116
so if the armature plate is magnetizing the plate will suck its self back on the coil or strut and stay on or should it move freely like a washer i am asking because i dont no if that is normal on polaris atvs never done it before i had a really hard time pulling the one off that had oil in the hub and thats the side that pulls really hard when in reverse with override on all so
Like I said they can magnetize with or with out oil! If the awd is OFF and the plate is hard to remove from the strut,it's magnetized! Once off just test with a screw driver to see if the plate sticks. Replace it and do the other side too as it will do the same sooner or later. The way it's supposed to work is the armature plate free wheels along with the hilliard(roll cage) and drive shaft,then when the rear wheels slip,the front wheels slow down,drive shaft speeds up,the armature plates slowed down by the magnetic pull from the coils allow the roll cage to ramp up locking into the hubs allowing full awd. Once the rear wheels regain traction and the front drive shaft begins to turns at the same speed as the front tire,the roll cage unlocks or is supposed to if all the mechanical parts are working properly.If the plate is magnetized the roll cage can lock in even at low speeds and also in two wheel drive.Another thing that shortens plate life and magnetizing them is to leave the awd switch on constantly. A lot of people do this.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

All right so i tested what u said i pulled my hub off again put the plate on it turned the key put it in gear then awd and bam cant move them once awd is off u can pull them off easy so my plates are not magnetized or so little i cant tell so what is left to check at this point because its geting power to the hubs and my plates are ok is my roller cage bad in the differential plus this year on my quad do i have any wires going to my differential or should there be i tried looking that up online but no help.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Differential doesn't have wires and doesn't control the hub awd. I'd still replace the plates if either side engages while awd is off or engages at low speed. If you didn't look at this pdf manual on the awd system,best if you do. Too much to just guess about on this system. http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...0%20-%20SM.pdf

Old 04-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

i just ordered the plates should be here in a week or so i will try that and see what happens i will keep u updated and i will read up on that pdf and thank u for ur help because of u i now understand more about my awd system

Old 05-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

all right i changed my plates out with the new ones and still stuck in so what should i check next i did a test with my atv lifted off the ground no hub oil in it with wheels off just for a sec put foot on it to hold it back still stuck in ?

Quick Reply: 99 polaris sportsman 500 stuck in awd