Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

ATV Clearing and Logging

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THX !!!
How about welding up a fixed grid work of HD piping onto the front? Bolt it on for shoving logs etc... Still trying. Must be someone who has done this the right way?
See ya.

Old 06-22-2001, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Check out the "Hunting/Farming/Outdoors" forum above as we have had several topics relating to the different types of implements that are avaiable for ATV use.

I don't know if there is a search feature you can use, but there were several sites (Moose, some Farmsomethingorother??) that guys had listed. There was a thread fairly recently (last couple of months) on special tools used on ATVs for logging (including pictures of skidder cones and stuff). Check it out and see if there is anything there.

Also try posting there and see what responses you get.

Chow for now.

Old 06-28-2001, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Use the right tool for the job!!! Man, my shop teacher used to drill those words into my head. My point is...an ATV may be able to handle the jobs you have listed, but it isn't the best machine for the job. For the money you're going to pay for a blade, you may be better off to just rent yourself a small utility tractor. You'd be surprised how much easier a tractor with a front end loader will handle those logs and brush. Heck, you can probably even get a blade for the back. Just a suggestion.

Old 07-01-2001, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

ATV snow plows aren't built that heavy duty to push big logs with, beside when it's mounted to the 4-wheeler you lose alot of ground clearance which would make it tough going in the woods. I burned a bunch of brush last year and did use my plow to push the burning pile in so it would all burn, it worked ok for that. I have a trailer that I built for behing my Sportsman that will carry more wood than I should pull with the ATV it has sides and can carry a 5-6 foot log, so I cut a bunch up with the chain saw and pile it all on. For brush I just stack it up until I can't get any more on and tie it down. Take a look at www.novajack.com and www.norwoodindustries.com for some ideas on how to log with your atv. Look at the logging arches, that is the way to get logs out of the woods. Anyway you look at it the atv is limited in ability but definantly can be a useful tool, I use mine for planting seedlings, log skidding, snowplowing, hunting, etc. Hope this helps, other than that I would drop the idea of pushing around logs with a snow plow, that will only break things.

Old 07-14-2001, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Downeast,

Sound like you're asking alought of a quad to clean up after a timberjack. You better watch those tires for punctures and the ball joint and cv joint boots too. They rip easy on the slash at a landing. If you want a snowplow, there is one in Want Ad this week for a honda for two hundread. It's in Hampstead New Hampshire and the guys e-mail is: jmwhite@mediaone.net. I've been plowing for three years now with a quad and with the right tires it's a blast. But the plows are somewhat light duty. They trip with a pair of springs and will lift right up on round objects like logs. My 5' plow only weighs 120 lbs. They're only made for pushing soft materials like snow, sand, gravel. If I were you I'd save up and get someone with a dozer for a day or start dragging and stacking bud.