Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Best "tractor" 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi DrRod, you are right it's pretty amazing what one of those DR's can do. I have an old one, picked it up for $150 at a garage sale this summer. It was owned by someone seriously lacking in mechanical aptitude, wouldn't cut at first-but worked fine when I turned the blade over! A few other little things like that. Drive chain is broke now-it had apparently been left outside unlubed and rusted. Picked up a new one tonight. I only wish I had one for the last few years-I've been busting my butt with a push mower and with a handheld weedcutter trying to keep on top of things. The DR will in all honesty do more in an hour than I could do in a day before, and with less effort. Where can I get on the mailing list for the newsletter?

As to the logging accessories, you have kind of jogged my memory. A couple of years back I was researching portable saw mills (which I have sense realized I can't afford). Anyway, I got a video from one of the manufacturers, that had some of the lifts and trailers on it. Might have been Norwood Industries, I need to do some digging.

One other thought. Even a little logging results in a lot of slash (limbs) to pile and burn, major amounts of work. I'm thinking that once I get a plow (and bike of course) I could replace the blade with a bar (maybe 2x4 tubing) with some hooks or spikes, kind of a big rake, and use it for scraping up and piling slash. Would be kind of like the brush rakes they put on dozers. Any thoughts if something like this would work? Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to design or fab up. I need to study just how the blades mount to the a-frames of these plows.

And speaking of burning, I'd like to have a portable water supply and pump that I could moount to the bike. I'm thinking a 20-25 gallon tank would be about the 200 lb weight limit on the AC rack, with a RV waterpump, both to fill and to spray. Fire suppression is a big deal around here, and my new place is not in a fire district. This much water isn't going to preform miracles in a big blaze, but would help alot in mopping up after a lightning strike, or if one of my slash burns tried to get away. Anyone done anything like this?

Bri

Old 11-13-2001, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

You can contact the DR folks at http://www.countryhomeproducts.com/ They seem to operate with a genuine sense of good old country values and have always been quick to help when I needed it. And once you are on their mailing list your mailbox will never be empty.

Another site you might like is Bailey's at http://www.arborists.com/BAILEYS/uscat.html Along with portable saw mills, they carry all sorts of serious woodsey stuff including their famous Wild *** Jeans. They also have Christmas Cards with logging themes and even some printed on very thin slices of cedar -- definitely not being carried in your local Hallmark shop.

Old 11-14-2001, 07:25 AM
Trailblazer

I got no real first hand experience with ATV plows. A few of my friends have them on their wheelers. But all of them still have to get or use a use a real plow truck or grader to handle there needs. Up here in Northern Wisconsin we get are fair share of snow also. The ATV plow seem to be great for a private driveway. But on a road you got to be able to bank the snow. ATV's aren't able to lift the snow high enough to make decent snow banks. Or have the power to move a large snow bank. Your road or yard will slowly start growing in on you and you will have to get somebody to clear you out. A 20-40 Hp ATV won't be able to move the same amount of snow as a 100-300 hp plow truck. Plus the wear & tear on your ATV moving the amount of snow your talking about has to be considered. Plowing snow can play havoc on full size trucks. I can't imagine what stress you would be putting on the ATV with regular use. I'd stick with the Land Cruiser or put a plow on the Chevy.

When that thermometer drops down in the sub zero figures it pretty nice to climb into a nice warm truck cab with a cup of coffee with the tunes cranked to plow your snow. Sure beats freezing your butt off having to make multiple passes through out the day on a ATV.

Not knocking ATV's and their capabilities around the home and farm. I just think for plowing the amount of snow your talking about your best suited not using one. I use mine all the time to maintaining my private road and tons of other duties.