Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Which Utility ATV???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you could buy "any" top end, big bore utility atv, without consideration for price, which one would you get? Granted the Prarie has an advantage in the performance department, but without that performance advantage, which one?

I'm interested in using it for snow plowing, hunting, and an occasional trail cruise. My 400SS and SP500 are now both up for sale and I'm looking to get a new fat utility ride that is dependable. I don't want to spend a zillion $$$$ modifying, adding tires, wheels, clutch kits, pipes, etc. I want something off the floor that looks good, handles and rides nice and does the job. Snow plowing is of prime importance. In fact, I'm probably going to have to do something about eliminating the reverse rev limiter in any machine, since it is a real drawback to plowing.

I'm considering: Honda Rubicon, Polaris SP700, Grizz 660, Prarie 650, and the Quest 650.

Thoughts . . .

Jack Schultz
jackschultz@adelphia.net
www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports

Old 02-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

I replied to your other post in the Bomb forum, just in case you haven't checked it recently.

Old 02-13-2002, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

Jack, Make sure you take a 2002 Arctic Cat 500i for a test drive before you make your final decision. I think for the things you listed for your riding style you would be very happy with the Arctic Cat. It is very strong and dependable and the Auto has the Rev. limit overide already installed! The ATV's that you are considering are good also but the only thing they have over the AC is top speed. You will probably save at least $600 besides. Good Luck

Old 02-18-2002, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

God man stop posting this damn question everywhere. You have posted the same exact thing on every single forum here. I have seen everyone of them. You get near the same answers everytime. 660 Grizz for pure trail and plowing, 650 for sporty trail riding and the Polaris for just basically doing nothing becuase they suck. Get the Grizz and you will be very very happy.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:21 AM
Pro Rider

Hey curtis 026 --

I'll post this whereever I please. If you don't like it, too damn bad. Maybe you spend to much time surfing instead of riding. It does not soud like you know much anyway. I'm looking for "first hand" knowledge, not something you "tried" to read in your dirt mag and give your interpretation.

Guys like you always seem to crawl out of the mud in these forums.

Old 02-19-2002, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

Jack,

I just purchased an Arctic Cat 400i 4x4. Wow! What a ride, and plenty of power. I will be doing the same thing with mine that you plan to do, and I think it will work just fine. The dealer has a 300 4x4 that he uses to plow his lot, and he piles snow 3 and 4 feet high with it, no problem.

The "i" suspension is great on the trail, with 12 inches of clearance. AC is also giving away $500 for accessories, so I think it's a pretty good deal.

I got mine for $5300 plus tax - quite a bit less than some of the other really big machines, and adequate for everything I plan to do with it. Afterall, I don't plan to log the north 40 or anything with it!

Question for you Jack, have you ever ridden the Marienville ATV Trail? If so, how is it? Any good sections for beginners? How about for more advanced riders?

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

I had a SP500 That I did everything you described. I think It works great to plow with and the polaris plow was great even though I have just the 48 inch plow. Get a 60 inch plow instead. I use the manual lift with mine. the winch is too slow! But I do a lot of trail riding and farm work with mine. I just traded my SP500 in on a new SP500 HO Freedom. I wanted more power and the new mods that polaris did to the HO's. All I can say is that it works for me. I didn't care much for the SP700. Price wasn't much of a concern for me. and I test drove most of the other atv's that you mentioned. They are good machines but I decided to stay with the polaris at this time.

Old 02-21-2002, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

For me, the Prairie 650 for sure. I would have to drive a Rincon before I would like it better. Grizz looks like an awesome machine, but too top heavy for me. I also like the straight axle with mono shock that the Prairie has for jumping.

Old 03-08-2002, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

Jack,

Consider the new Honda Rincon as well. I'm hearing very good things about it so far, although it won't be released until summer at the earliest. My 'experience' is that the Prairie is a little quicker than the rest, the grizzly is a friggin blast to ride and will really sneak up on you if you aren't careful, the Polaris' clutch was 'eased up' because they couldn't keep the front end down, but now people complain that the power doesn't have any punch. Not my words.
My personal opinion is that Polaris' tend to have alot of problems. I ride with a bunch of guys who almost all ride Polaris'. Constantly having problems, and they are pretty good about regular maintenance. But that's just my experience.
Don't know much about the Quest.
The Rubicon's tranny is a great invention, but in my opinion the power it delivers, especially down low, sucks. I have a riding buddy who sometimes can't even spin the wheels when in really deep, nasty mud.
And I LOVE Hondas.
My opinion would be to wait to ride the new Rincon from Honda before buying. Honda (and I'll get somebody to give me shi+ about this one) makes pretty reliable ATV's. My 86 250R has it's problems, but christ man, it was built 16 years ago, and has been beaten quite badly.
If you don't like the Honda Rincon, I would say, again with my limited experience, go with the Grizzly.
My good buddy has one, and he hasn't had any problems (yet). But he's only had it about 6 months.

You should try the Artic Cat too. I hear alot of good things from those who own them, although I've never ridden one.

Good Luck and happy payments!!

Fruitjacket

Old 03-10-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

get a Prarie 650

Quick Reply: Which Utility ATV???