Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

I need a workhorse!! please reply.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2000, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'am also a proud owner of a 98 Grizzly,and it has more than proven itself to me.My main use for this wheeler has been work,plowing,hauling wood,drag raking,dragging deer,ice fishin,shed moving,once pulled out my truck full of wood.One more thing you might want to know is that in -0 weather it has never failed to start,even after being subjected to long hauls in back of a truck in -20 temps.It also turns tighter than any other 4X4 out there.

Old 03-22-2000, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 99 suzuki 500 it's great plenty of power,great ride and very comfortable.And has high and low range with all time 4wd. This may not be the machine for you but it might be worth a look.

Old 03-22-2000, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Personally I prefer a Quad with a manual transmission for working, you don't have to worry about burning the belt up. I bought the Honda Foreman over the Polaris Magnum or Sportsman for that very reason. If I did more trail riding and less work I would have purchased the Polaris, but since we use the quad daily for doing chores on our horse ranch, I feel the Honda was the better choice.
Just may 2 cents..... Buy what you like and enjoy it to the fullest.
Jeff

Old 03-23-2000, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer

THE ARCTIC CAT 500 4X4 MANUAL HAS MORE TORQUE THAN A GRIZZLY 600 & A LOAD CAPACITY LARGER THAN EVERY & ANY ATV & IT IS THE GREATEST WORKHORSE OF ALL!! & THEY ARE PRICED GREAT (IN CANADA THAT IS)
DEFINTELY CONSIDER AN AC 500!!!!

Old 03-23-2000, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

You can't go wrong with a Yamaha Grizzly, i have a 2000 with 700km's and the more i ride it the better it performs. I get now 120km's on a tank of gas which for a 600cc engine is ok, and it should get a bit better, has power galore and is reliable with low maintenance, oh ya and it rides like a dream.
You can work it like a TRACKTER or race it like a banshee except not quite as quick.
Good luck and hang on because she will keep going without you.

Old 03-23-2000, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

Deffinatly check out the AC 500 Manual, I use one for work every day in and around fields. It has more power than most will ever need, Large fuel tank, the largest towing capacity and unlike the Electric shift manuals the AC has a more dependable mechanical system, it will not go out of gear unless you want it to.
I looked around at all models and decided on the Cat, the only problem is that many people will stop you and start asking questions about it since most have never heard of it (at least in Alabama)

2000 ArcticCat 500, Warn 2500, soon to have 27" Vamps.

Old 03-23-2000, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

If your using a quad primarily for work be carefull with independant or semi-independant rear ends. They have a much nicer ride, but independant or semi-independant suspension components as well as tires rims and bearings, take all the stress when pulling a heavy trailer, whereas a straight axle does not ride as nice, but the stress will be only on the tires rims and bearings. This is why Polaris came out with the Magnum 500, which is more for work than the Sportsman (as it's name implies "SPORTSMAN").
These are some of the facts I looked at before I made my purchase.
No matter what you choose "enjoy it".

Jeff

Old 03-25-2000, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with the idea about V-Belt or chain drive, your just asking for problems. (Period)
Had a 450ES did great, but perfer the Traxter for my agenda.!!

Enjoy what ever you get and smile

Old 03-25-2000, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

the sportsman 6x6 is ideal....it used to be called the big boss...but now updated and inherited some of the sportsman feartures...like the shaft drive and the irs...the box is now a hard plasic that wont rust....i am almost sure the whole thing is shaft...with 500cc you know you arent underpowerd...check it out at Polaris Industries this is probally your best machine...and its pretty fast...otherwise you can see a review of it on www.atving.com in the atv reviews

Old 03-26-2000, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

oops i was wrong about the shaft drive...

Quick Reply: I need a workhorse!! please reply.