Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

I need a workhorse!! please reply.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2000, 09:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help deciding which atv to buy.I need it for hunting,trapping and work.Has anybody driven or seen polaris's 6x6 in action? Between a sp500 or a 500 magnum which do you think would be better for my needs? thank you for your reply !I'm open to other brands also.

Old 03-19-2000, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 99 Arctic Cat 500cc which I am very happy with in terms of workload. It will tow my 8 x 12 trailer FULL of firewood very easily, and the racks are plenty big to carry most things. However, if money were no object, I would seriously consider the Polaris 6x6 or even the Polaris Ranger. The Ranger costs about 10 grand, but will haul two people (drives like a Kawie Mule) and has most of the off road prowess of the Polaris 6x6. Let us know what you get and how you like it!

Old 03-20-2000, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer

I would check out the Honda line. They have a new machine coming out that is called the Honda Rubicon.
Also check out the Formans they could do everything you need to take care of and more

Old 03-20-2000, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer

My aunt and uncle have the polaris 6x6 and it's great for gardening and running around the 40 acres they live on. I have driven it and it goes through everything we put it though. I noticed that it runs better at higher rpm. It has lots of power going through most of the mud we have taken it through, we only needed the back wheels to push us through. The bed in the back would be great for traps and game. They have cool trails on the mostly wooded property. Steep hills, mud and hard pack. They haul deer, gardening tool and some small farm supplies around in it. I would think it would be ideal for you.

Old 03-20-2000, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I looked seriously at the 6X6 for farm work -- two things discouraged me. First is the length and turning radius are greater than a four-wheeler so it can be more difficult to operate in close quarters (crop rows and deep woods). Second, I have heard that it can be a problem to keep the multiple chains all in proper adjustment. I have no direct experience with this, but I would want to check that out before making a decision.

There are a lot of different cargo boxes on the market that can add to the utility of a big quad -- so that may be a better option depending on your preferences. Check out Cabelas or some of the vendors on this web site.

Old 03-20-2000, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

Don't over look the Traxter, I find it comfy to ride, easy on/off handles well and with the 500 engine, plenty power, and a super nice tranny both hi and lo ranges with the thumb shifting the 5 speeds in each. 0 to 35 lo range and 0 to ?? high range. 5.4 gal fuel tank for long range.
Will tow a heavy load and for my use, it has been about as close to perfection as I could want.

Good luck on what ever you settle on.

Old 03-21-2000, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

A question for RANGERCD.Do you know if your uncle has ever had any problems with the chain drive system? (the 2000 model comes with shaft drive in front and chain drive in the back)How does it drive on rough terrain? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! ANY OTHER REPLIES WOULD BE APRICIATED.

Old 03-21-2000, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

if you need a workhorse, you should look at the may issue of dirtwheels. they have a guy with an 250 2wd Arctic cat that is hauling 2000 pounds of haybales

Old 03-22-2000, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

He has had the 6x for about a year it's a 98 and he has had no problems with the chains. The land he is on is very rough. The trails he has on the property was cut with a hydroaxe. Those leave some stubbles too. The land is in the Shawnee National Forest by Marion Illinois. It's hard to describe how rough the land it but it's nasty. The polaris gets around great on it. The turning radius is large with that machine but for trapping/hunting your not speeding through the woods. It's easier to plot out your route as you go so your not making those sharp turns. The weight he can carry in that thing is unreal and it handles it well on steep hills and going through the creek bottoms.

Old 03-22-2000, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

I am very pleased with my Yamaha Grizzly, Its very powerful and the standard racks are pretty tuff. You can order a drop down basket for the back from cabalas that will really give you some extra cargo space. I havn't had it long enough to really judge how good it is going to be as a workhorse, but I think it will be pretty good. Its a blast to trail ride. I have a buddy who has a 6x6 and he needs a parking lot to turn it around. Plus the bed isn't very strong. Flimsy sheet metal. His looks terrible, His is a few years old I think. Maybe they have fixed that now.

Quick Reply: I need a workhorse!! please reply.