Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

I need a workhorse!! please reply.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2000, 05:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a Bombardier Traxter

Old 03-26-2000, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to be the odd ball! But ill make this short! My dad owns a Grizzly. Ummm for a work horse?? Im sorry but GRIZZLY. That thing has never ceased to amaze me yet!

'99 Wolverine SuperTrapp pipe, UFO hand guards, nifty skid plate!
'00 Warrior skid plate? (its brand new!)

Old 03-28-2000, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Trapper99,

Kawasaki has stopped making what I consider one of the best "work horse" ATV's ever produced, the Bayou 400. I hunt with a friend who owns one and he has been extremely pleased with it.

I would concentrate my efforts in looking for a water-cooled, four-stroke, 4X4 machine in the 400-500cc range. Those features alone will limit your choices to just a few models. I will also side with those who say the standard auto-clutch designs will take more abuse than the belt-driven automatics. Keep in mind too that the Honda ES models are actually auto-clutch units with an electro-mechanical shift system that eliminates the need for foot shifting.

Many may argue the point, but liquid cooling will help extend the life of larger engines when driven in harsh (hot and slow) environments.

The more applicable question might be which is best, an engine that is water-cooled or oil cooled.

Old 03-28-2000, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

The quadrunner 500 and the quadmaster 500 are both great 4wheelers for work and for play. I use mine for hunting, riding on trails and just for work.They are very reliable too.I have already sumerged mine under water a lot and it still works fine.

Old 03-29-2000, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I used a 99 6x6 two summers to pick rock, I never had a problem with it. At times we had over 1200 pounds of rock on it and it pulled great in low with 6 wheel drive. The front end did get a little bouncy with that much weight on. If you don't need the box get the magnum500 it is built for the farm and for work. The 6x6 is chain driven (the 2000 6x6 is shaft in the front) but does provide amazeing traction in deep mud.

Old 03-30-2000, 11:46 PM
Range Rover

Hondas!
Rubicon!
it is going to be the best
it is going to be a auto with a hydrostatic system
not a belt so it won't were out!

on atving.com go under industrual news and honda's and it will tell about the Rubicon

read about it before any major decitions on a 4wheeler

Old 03-31-2000, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

I find that the Swing arm suspension puts more stress on the bearings and wheels. On uneven terrain it puts all of the load on a single wheel while with the Semi-IRS and Fully-IRS spread the weight out over both reaer wheels.

Besides, on a Semi-IRS, the weight is in the same place as the Swing arm suspension(axle). the only difference is that the Semi-IRS spreads the weight out over both wheels rather than a single wheels in un even terain.

Old 04-02-2000, 11:39 PM
Range Rover

you are in luck cause I just happen to own a 2000 Sportsman 500 6x6! It does cost a lot but it is worth it in the long run. This has to be th best machine I have every driven. Real work horse,pulled my 97 F-350 Power Stroke Super Crew 4x4, works real good at my Dear Lease and above all it eats the mud along with all other ATV's for a snack!

Old 04-03-2000, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello sportsman 6x6!I've been waiting a long time to speak to someone who actualy owns a 2000 sp6x6.I have a couple of questions for you.Does it have alot of power when your driving with alot of weight in the cargo box and how does it handle?How does it drive on hard pack and rough trails?How many miles can you drive on a full thank of gas?Have you hade any problems with the chain drive or anything else on the 6x6?How does it handle the mud?I know i' ve asked you alot of questions but your answers will help me make the big decision.THANK YOU,YOUR ANSWERS ARE WELL APRICIATED!!

Old 04-03-2000, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

Get the Magnum 500 it pulls more because of the swingarm, and has more power because of this set-up. I own a Griz 670cc and it probably wouldn't outpull that but stock the Magnum has a lower geared low range and has been proven to out pull a STOCK Grizzly. Plus for a Polaris it is less manitence then the Sportsman. I don't know about the Traxter but with 700lbs and low gearing I'm sure that it would be the best 5 speed available and the Magnum would be the best work belt machine.

Quick Reply: I need a workhorse!! please reply.