Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

RINCON vs 700 SPORTMAN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RINCON vs 700 SPORTMAN!!!!!

Honestly, I think some people split hairs and act like they downed a giant redwood.
The differences between these two is not very much at all. While I do believe the Sportsman has the advantage for utility uses, it isn't like the difference between a Mustang and Pinto. In fact, in some circumstances, I think the Rincon may perform better.

This winter, I will be curious to see how well the Rincon performs in the snow. In MUD, the extra weight of the Sportsman does more good than harm (the weight helps the wheels 'bite') but in snow deeper than your ground clearance, the weight will only cause you to 'break through' quicker, getting you hung up. Now, with almost the ground clearance of the Sportsman, and 140# less weight, it might just be the ticket. I just hope Honda got the front end figured out and finally put in more 'limited' and less 'slip'.

Old 11-06-2002, 02:16 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I don't think the Rincon is a "terd" but I do wonder how Honda can justify its price tag. I've only seen one Rincon out on the trails... Well heading out on the trails from trucks so I can't say what it can or can not do. After sitting on a couple at different dealers I must admit I liked the overall feel, fit and finish. One thing that didn't score high (on my list) was the plastic front bumper, it simply felt to weak to be on an sport/utility ATV. The new look is starting to grow on me...

Old 11-06-2002, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

All bike's have something good.

If you are into ATV pulling, like we are, there's only one bike, p650.

Old 11-06-2002, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sprtsmnfan
If you want to haul more, tow more, or just plain work more...get the Sportsman. If you mud ride/need the most ground clearance...get the Sportsman. If you ride in hilly or mountainous country, the Sportsman is a safer bike due to EBS(granted it is not the best EBS system out there, but it is a lot better than what the Rincon has to offer). If you ride in tight woods areas, both will do, but the Sportsman has a tighter turning radius(76in compared to 128in). If you want the luxury of in/out true 4wd(the Rincon is a fulltime 3.5wd machine. Also, 2wd can be a blast when things get greasy/icy)...get the Sportsman. If you are a an open trail speed rider, I am not sure what to tell you. The SP700 and the R650 have never officially been pitted against each other...Only hearsay at this point.Odds are both machines will do everthing you need them to do, but the Sportsman will do them better.If you can think of anthing the Rincon does do better please let me know. There's no question that it will do it, I just wanna know if it will do it better. ...Maybe water crossings, but the new belt housing snorkel on the Polaris goes clear up to the gas cap. Frankly, it would take a complete lack of brain cells to put yourself in that deep without expecting trouble.Whatever you choose make sure it is the bike that best fits your needs. Heck, maybe the bike for you isn't either of these. Test drive, get brochures, spend some more time in the forums and choose wisely.If I had to rank them:1st=SP700, 2nd=P650, 3rd=660, 4th=R650, 5th= Q650. All are good bikes but the SP700 best fits my needs.
sprtsmnfan,

Have you seen a Ricon yet or are you going on what your brother's neighbor's cousin's friend said? The truth is that the Rincon has selectable 4x4 with Traxlok. Also the front differential seems to be set up quite well as it does engage both front tires when one starts to slip, however I'm not positive of how this will work with one wheel in the air. The Rincon doesn't have an engine brake because its not that kind of tranny, it has gears like a car when you go downhill you shift down, this works pretty well until 5 to 7 mph when the torque converter allows the machine to freewheel. From what I have seen the Rincon maintains it's ground clearance very well under load, something I can't say for the 700, the 700s I've seen seem to be too soft and end up squatting severely with anything but a 90 lb wonder on them. As a final point, speed control of the Rincon seems to be much easier do to the multiple gear ranges, if you need to maintain a constant slow speed just put it in first and crawl.

Old 11-06-2002, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

As far as both atv's squatting under load, yes the 700 does squat. Most of the time it does this, is because it's on the lightest setting, put it on the middle setting, most of the squat is gone. I looked at a Rincon today, and I like the looks of it, and the suspension seemed soft and would most likely give a good ride. But pushing down on the rear was easy and the Rincon squatted, then I noticed the shocks don't even have a pre-load(heck my Scrambler 90 has pre-load shocks). I would say under load, the 700 would handle it a lot better. But if you want a trail atv, get the Rincon, it's lighter, and with radial tires will grab better. However put larger tires on it, weight difference will be a lot less. If you want to do utility work and like the mud and still want a very plush ride, get the 700.

Old 11-06-2002, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

MuddHound,

Thanks for the Traxloc reminder, it must have slipped my mind in my last post. Speaking of slipping, the Traxloc only locks into a limited slip differential, so at best it is 3.5wd. My mistake.

Thank you for proving my point about the EBS.

The 700 "squat" under load??? I can't say that I have experienced this one. Are you sure you do?? When we take breaks along the trails I usually sit with my legs hanging over the back of the machine, and the rear rack of the bike maybe squats an inch or two on the stock spring setting. (Keep in mind that my fat *** weighs 240lbs) "90lb wonder"- that's total B.S.. Other 700 owners will say the same thing...unless mine has freakishly strong springs. I could set it even higher but I don't feel it needs it. Also, given that the 700 has over an inch more ground clearance to begin with, I would still say that the 700 has the hauling/GC advantage hands down.

Easier speed control??? What can be easier than belt drive transmissions? Just gas it and go. You can go slow in high range, just don't pull anything at slow speeds in high...that's what low is for.

As for my Rincon experience I can't say that I have any personally, but I would gladly pit my bone-stock 700 against a stock Rincon any day to prove myself. Any takers in SE Mn? At least it would be good for a few beers and a new thread topic.

Regardless of this bickering, I do like both machines, and have to admit that I like the looks of the Rincon a lot better. Both are great machines and, like I said earlier, both will probably do everything
you need them to do. The choice is yours.

Old 11-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Range Rover

After reading GE 4x4's post I must say that my 700 came stock with the rear set somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range. I also disagree will the 'terd' description of the Rincon...Our old 325 Mags were terds.

Old 11-06-2002, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

After riding the rincon I don't get when people say its overall better than the 700. It hasn't got the power I dont get where people say it handles better. As far as acceleration I wouldn't be suprised if my H.O would take the rincon.

Old 11-06-2002, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

its "TURDS" not "TERDS" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2002, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Well here's my experience with the Rincon and SP700. I don't own either one but have ridden both and have logged a lot of miles along side of both. The Rincon's suspension did seem to be quite a bit more firm than that of the 700 and didn't squat nearly as bad, heck with an approximately 280 lb rider the 700's rear tires looked like this " / \ ", not something I consider as a good sign of solid suspension. The 700 is a strong engine and may very well take my Kawi on top end but in 100 yard drags it just isn't up to par I get the holeshot and finish first. However the Rincon is a little different, it will take the holeshot and I will overcome in midrange and take the overall win. Both bikes are a comfortable ride but I haven't gotten to get either one of them into real washboards. As for the limited slip of the Rinny, I've watched both fronts dig, thus my statement that the differential is improved.

All in all, I'm not carrying tales, I'm just passing along what I have seen personally and experienced for myself.

Quick Reply: RINCON vs 700 SPORTMAN!!!!!