Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

RINCON vs 700 SPORTMAN!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RINCON vs 700 SPORTMAN!!!!!

MT,

I ride mine at the 3rd notch.....(I do a lot of fast, tight-woods riding trying to keep up with my buddy's Raptor, so I keep it stiff to reduce body rollover). Only if I had a 200+ lb (I already weigh 250) load would I consider going any stiffer. and Yes I love it!

Hey, did you do anything with your clutch? I was thinking about a clutch kit but wasn't sure if I needed a whole kit...I've heard the best thing you can do with the 600 is just add a white polaris spring. (I think some company named Dalton was doing R+D on it...-the 600) Is the 700 the same way? or are the kits better? Just looking to get rid of the 'lag' before takeoff.

Thanks,

SprtsMNFan

Old 02-13-2003, 08:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

sprtsmnfan,
man you're asking the wrong guy when it comes to clutching...i don't know a thing about them other than i've never had a problem with one. my first Polaris, a 1995 Magnum425, is still in the family and after 8 years of abuse, the clutch has yet to give us trouble!

the third click sure sounds stiff. but for your type of riding that's the way to go!

back to clutch modifying, i think there was a topic in the Pol forum some time ago.....can't remember...was it Aaen?...Highlifter?......greens,whites?...don't remember. the 700 has plenty of punch for me.

-MT

Old 02-13-2003, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

I tried experimenting with different clutch springs. Swapping the primary to white causes the engine to rev just a little more before initial takeoff, allowing the engine to get more into the powerband, as well as rev a little higher before initial upsift. This really made a noticeable difference in my Xplorer, yet hasn't really affected drivability.
I also tried the White spring. Talk about a BIG difference! The clutch engaged so abruptly with sudden throttle I worried that an unexperienced rider might bring the machine over on themselves (I am talking wheelies in Low range at anything over half throttle here if you have the traction). However, I lost top speed by a few MPH with it. The White spring left top speed unaffected.

Keep in mind these results were with a 1999 Xplorer, your results may vary, but I think you at least get the jist of it:

If you get a spring with a stiffer initial rate - higher RPMs for the clutch to engage, and higher RPMs before shiftout.

Higher compressed rate - higher RPMs before total shiftout.

Keep in mind that you can get a spring so stiff, that the engine just can't rev out enough to get full upshift, or if it does, it is revved so high, it is past peak power.

If I remember right, the White spring has a stiffer initial engagement rate, allowing for stronger takeoff, but a rate about equal to the stock one at full compression, allowing for full shiftout at about the same RPMs.

Hope this helps some.

Farmr

Old 02-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Range Rover

Farmr,

That white spring sounds like what I am looking for(I don't want anything too aggresive for technical riding)....as long as it gets rid of the intial 'lag' before takeoff. I am also debating getting the Heelclicker for the 700. What does the HC do that just the spring doesn't?...Even better acceleration? top speed? Let me know if you do.

Thanks

SprtsMNFan

Old 02-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

The biggest advantages of the heelclicker kit are:
Tunability: The cam weights are adjustable, and can be easily matched to what you are trying to get out of the clutch. There are movable weights for the cams that can be moved to different positions depending on if you want low speed grunt, acceleration, or top speed.
Drivability: The guys I know with the Heelclicker report that it grabs stronger off the bottom, yet is very controlled. Greater acceleration thru midrange, with little or no loss of top speed. They say that they almost never need to use low range anymore on the trail, just the mud bogs. Somehow it grabs the belt tighter, so it doesn't slip, yet doesn't need high RPMs to do this.

Changing to the white spring mainly causes the engine to rev out slightly more before the clutch grabs, thru the main part of the upshift, letting the engine make more power at a given MPH, up to about 2/3 of shiftout.

The Heelclicker is a complete kit, for maximum performance/efficiency. The white spring swap is basically a 'poor man's way' to more low-speed grunt.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Range Rover

Desision made, I'm going with the Heelclicker. When it come to my quads, I want the best regardless of price. Thanks for all the help Farmr.

SprtsMNFan

Old 05-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bayougrizz - "the fact is................everything that the rinny can do, the 700 does much better."

???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

how about jumping, sliding, wheelie-ing, flying through tight trails???

I don't think so... it is a little more sport oriented than the 700 or the Grizzly....

my bet is , the only 4x4 that can hang with or beat the Rincon in GNCC-style riding/racing would be the Prairie

Old 05-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I owned alot of ATV's but the Rincon is my favorite it does everything I want it to.All I can say is that you have to ride one.
My Rincon

Old 05-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Range Rover

I have never ridden either the sp700 or rincon650, but i am a honda man, and like the tranny, so i would go with the rincon. Yesterday was the first time i saw a rincon run, and i was impressed.They had 3 people on it(1 driving and 2 on back rack), and were pulling a drag racing car(2-3 thousand pounds), with a driver in it, and he was just barely giving it throttle and it was walking the dog with all that stuff on it. It really seemed like it had a LOT of low end power. Also, with the 3 people they had on it, it was not squatting much at all in the rear end either, so i think the rincon would be the better all around fourwheeler, and would work just as hard as any of them when you need it to. I believe it will also be very reliable just like my foreman has been. I would say they are both good machines, but i would pick the rincon.