Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Attended the ATV RiderCourse!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attended the ATV RiderCourse!

You do NOT have to let your quad sit a month while you wait to take the safety course.In fact,it dont have to sit a second.

I took special interest in this topic because I am an ACTUAL ASI [ATV Safety Institute]Instructor.And to the guy that wanted to become an instructor?I took the same 4 day IC [Instructor Candidate]class that you went thru.Though my experience was alot better than yours,you see,I finished and passed the class.I am a licensed ATV Safety Instructor.Been for two yrs now.

To the fellow that completed the ASI course in 2hrs time?Shame on your instructor!!A good instructor will take about 4 hrs time and do a COMPLETE job.

All the manufactures EXCEPT Polaris partake in this incentive program,though the salesman hardly lets his customers know about it.Seems like after they take your money,to heck with your safety?

Bill

Old 11-15-2002, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

ATVMEISTER,
sorry I missed your question,but I can answer why Polaris does not take part in this ASI safety course.Polaris conducts their own rinky dink safety class at the time of purchase.You watch a safety video for ten minutes than you go ride a figure 8 in the parking lot.SOME SAFETY CLASS?Polaris instructors are NOT certified instructors and their safety certificates are NOT recognized in the State of Michigan.

PAIROF98s,
I could'nt disagree with you more.The Cheif instructor for ASI was both professional and good.He also conducted the class the way its suppose to be taught.And about the thick Instructors book?It is NOT materail received by the CPSC and gov crap.The materail contained in this book is received from alot of differant sources that are ATV related ect.Please dont not pass on untruthful info about the safety course and its contents.I was wondering,did you ever concider that maybe YOU were the problem when training to become an instructor???

Bill

Old 11-15-2002, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE

To the fellow that completed the ASI course in 2hrs time?Shame on your instructor!!A good instructor will take about 4 hrs time and do a COMPLETE job.
Just because he did it in 2hrs doesn't mean he didn't do a complete job. This was the second class I took and the first one was about 4.5hrs where the second was a little over 2hrs. They both covered the exact same material although it was in a different location. The second time around we didn't have that many people and instead of having just one instructor we had two which split the class into even smaller groups making the different riding techniques drills much quicker to complete. So I wouldn't say he didn't do a COMPLETE job.

I do realize your an instructor and have taught this class many more times than I will ever see but I wouldn't pass judgement on fellow instructors because they don't teach the way you think they should.

Jeff

Old 11-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

navyvette,
I allways have a range aid when I instruct because this does make my job alot easier.Maximun class size is 8,another words,instructors cant have a class size over 8 adults.

Your point is well taken,however,I have taught as little as 2 students before and even that class took 3 hrs.Its impossible to cover all the local ATV laws,tell students how to find clubs and assoc to join,show students maps of local trailheads,enviro concerns,and do track time in 2 hrs time,even with 2 students.

But than again,I have been told before that I do more than I have to.

Bill

Old 11-15-2002, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Neither of the instructors I went through class with taught all of the information that you mentioned (local trails and clubs) but they both covered the laws and taught tread lightly. One just taught it faster I guess because of the class size/experience. We had 8 in the first class and 3 in the second. You probably know the second instructor because he looked pretty involved as he had a brand new 28ft 5th wheel with the ASTI logos all over it and had 4 brand new quads to use for students who showed up with no ATV. All you had to do with the second instructor was show up with pants and a jacket, he could supply everything including the quad. I will look for his name and post it.

Jeff

Old 11-15-2002, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jeff
,once an instructor establishes himself,he can obtain''loaner''ATVs from various manufactures.I currently have 4 Honda Recons that I can loan if necessary for class purposes only.This makes it very convenient for the instructor and student.

There is ONE downfall to the ASI program that can REALLY PO an Instructor.If your class roster shows 6 students are suppose to show for class and only 2 show up!This makes me MADDER than hell because we are NOT paid by the class,but by the student.

I also instruct the ATV Dept of Ed corriculm classes for Michigan.In this class,you[student] must pay in ADVANCE for the training and if you dont show up,you will forfeit your $$ to the instructor.I REALLY like this!

Bill

Old 11-16-2002, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

MUDDY4LIFE-

I must disagree with your points. I've purchased 3 new machines in the past 4 years and from a different dealer each time. The ATV RiderCourse was mentioned at the last minute when signing papers five minutes before loading it into the truck. It then took ASI about 2 weeks to contact me to schedule a class! The earliest class was 2-4 weeks from when they call.

I admire the fact that you are an instructor, because you likely chose to do so for the benefit of others. The Chief Instructor teaching my IC class was totally professional and by the book, which I also respect. The difference being, I disagreed with the agenda. The training manual must have been written for 3 wheelers. Why else must you hang your *** off the seat at a crawl speed? I've been riding ATVs for nearly 20 years and maybe I am the problem. Not that I think I know it all, but in my heart, I felt like the training promoted unsafe techniques.

Let's face it. This program was designed for one reason; to keep lawyers from filing lawsuits against the manufacturers. Is it a good thing to receive training? Absolutely, for a first time rider. My point was simply that most people who buy a new ATV will learn how to ride it on their own before the date of the class.

By the way, consider is spelled with an "s".

Old 11-16-2002, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I to,have been riding 3-4 wheelers since 1983,thats about the same amount of time that you have.I cannot answer your question about hanging your a$$ off the seat at crawl speeds because im not certain what lesson,if any,your refering to?HOWEVER,

Certain situations require that you try to improve your traction to the rear wheels.By moving your body weight further back over the axle,you will obtain this.Could this be what your Cheif Instructor was pointing out?Perhaps you should have asked him a few questions?

And your correct,most people will learn to ride before class time,however,its my bet that a good instructor will point out some errors in their riding at class time?

Bill

Old 11-16-2002, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

I attended the rider coarse today (nov,16)

there was a rancher,
2-ozark250,s,
grizzly
eiger,
and 2-recons,

it was alright but too slow paced.
I was the only one there with sportquads(the ex's)

But you cant beat $100 per quad......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
just for riding

Old 11-17-2002, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took the course this morning in Fredonia WI, and I have to say I thought it would be just a couple of hours of some guy preaching about wearing helmets, and not riding double, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find our Instructor (Joe), was very knowledgeable in good technique, and most of the time was spent working on that.

I came away with some great riding tips on technique, and he even proved to me the necessity of some safety gear that I wouldn't have even considered using, kneepads. When he showed us the recommended ways to ride through tight turns, I was amazed at how my knees were pounding the front fenders. After a while, they were getting pretty sore, but man can I whip that rancher around now, and in complete control.

Way to go Joe! I don't know if you can request an instructor with this program, but for anyone in the Southeastern part of Wisconsin who is looking into this course, I highly recommend Joe from Fredonia (actually I think he's in Waubeka, but on my info sheet it said Fredonia).

Quick Reply: Attended the ATV RiderCourse!