Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Honda ES and Kodiak negatives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda ES and Kodiak negatives?

If you're a big guy, then honda is bigger overall, but i think you should ride them both, just because everyone has different tastes.

Good luck.

Old 11-21-2002, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

Rincon,
The wife and I sat on the Kodiak and the controls were comfy for us both. There's alot of nice features and even though the salesman says he's only replaced one belt due to neglect I'm still sketpic. We will look at a few more both Honda and Yamaha and find a place that lets you test them then make a decision. I know I want either Honda or yamaha between 350 and 450.
Jack

Old 11-21-2002, 09:12 PM
wyd
Range Rover

I don't think you need to worry about the belt too much. If it was a problem you should not drive a car as they have belts. I think you should just ride the ones you like as it will tell you which one to buy after you ride them. Many companies use belts and when taken care of don't really pose a problem and they are pretty cheap to replace.

It will ultimately come down to which one you feel the best on. Yamaha or Honda, you can't go wrong.

Old 11-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

well jack 51 ---- got the perfect set-up for 450's ---order all the floorboard stuff for the es----cost about 150.00 --depending on the dealer----bolt on ----1 thing--- the front brace for the floorboard bracket----either u-bolt it to the frame or a light tack with a mig-welder---don't let the frame get tooo HOT---atv's don't like too much heat on their frames----got pics if ya need them --- good set-up for the wife ---- raise the shifter 1 click on the spline and dont for get to order the es brake pedal ---comes over the top---clean set up --- gotta cut bout a half inch outta the left floorboard to allow clearance for down shiftin ---- it'll be obvious---- have fun---KEEP IT ON FOUR

Old 11-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

YES, floorboars are a BIG plus!!!!

The kodiak is comfortable-not IRS- but as soft as it gets for a striaght axel.

Old 11-24-2002, 04:28 AM
Trailblazer

Rincon,
I'm glad to hear the Kodiak is comfy. We really like it but we're going to a shop that has both Honda and Yamaha and check em out side by side. That shop wants 5700 plus taxes for the 450 Kodiak and 5200 plus tax for the 450 S Honda. I don't think not having the R I S will be a big deal. Our primary usage will encompass utility. Hunting, ice fishing, hauling dirt, wood and some snow plowing. I asked the salesman if I would be better off getting the 400 big Bear due to our planned usage and he says no. He says the auto will plow snow easier than the shifting Big Bear. A couple guys I used to work with had Honda 450 S models and put them thru their paces without a hitch. One guy welded an extra section on the top of the plow blade, welded it so it wouldn't kick up when plowing heavy or deep snow and made up a 80 lb. weight and used it on the front rack. I won't be abusing my machine but want it to be tough and reliable, kinda like my wife. LOL.
Jack

Old 11-24-2002, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

In lo range the KOD is like a tractor. When you sit on the 450 the seat is firmer, and it feels higher, where as the KOD is sloped down more, and softer, and wider at the back.

Haven't driven mine in 2-3 weeks, last time out was a mud run, and the Gators worked well, and the KOD had no trouble turning the in low range (26X12-12) Never wet the belt either. (i Wouldn't worry about the Kodiak's belt one bit-very reliable)

Old 11-24-2002, 10:46 PM
wyd
Range Rover

Man if you can get a 450S at $5200 I would really look at it hard. I found a nice 2002 at a dealer and they still want $5000 for it. Now the guy who had it had it for less than a month and it don't have a scratch on it and less than 75 miles. I checked it out and it didn't even have any dirt on it at all. The dealer could sell it for new. I think it if was red I would trade in my 02 Warrior for it as I like utility machices since I like to carry a small cargo box for food and a few other odds and ends.

As for the Big Bear it would plow great and you would be using 1st or 2nd gear so plowing will not be a problem. The Big Bear is Yamahas version of the 450S so it would be a nice choice for what you described above and probably the cheapest of the bunch.

Old 11-25-2002, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

Rincon,
I'm glad to hear your happy with the Kodiak. My wife really thought the seat and general layout was nice. We will probably choose one of the following. Kodiak 450, Big bear 400, or the 450 Honda. I must say the more positives I hear about the Kodiak belt makes me sway that way. Thanks
Jack

Old 11-25-2002, 02:41 AM
Trailblazer

Wyd,
The price of the Honda of 5200.00 is good and I think he said only for a limited time. I was seriously looking at the Big Bear as well because I was tentative about the Kodiak belt. I don't plan to race the machine around but is it true that it tops out at 37mph? Speed isn't a top priority but would like something that would go 40 mph or so. I think the dealer was talking about the Kodiak being easier to shift into reverse than the shifter models. Anyway, keep the info rolling in. It's too bad we didn't have a on line chat room here so we could get everybody on at the same time. Thanks
Jack

Quick Reply: Honda ES and Kodiak negatives?