Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Snowplow - heavy or lite?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002 | 10:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default Snowplow - heavy or lite?

Turfguy...I bought the Moose 60" standard plow after a researching all the available stuff out there...I'm very happy with it and I'm convinced that it's the most heavy-duty setup available...I paid $350 at my AC dealer for the whole thing and it has worked extremely well...The only step up from this (IMHO) would be a 'county' blade, for REALLY deep or heavy snow, or large areas...I put my front shock preload collars on the middle setting for winter snow removal (to compensate for blade weight) but I'll move them back to the lowest setting for summer trail riding...I feel that it is very easy to bang-up a snowplow and I wanted the most durable setup available, so I went with the Moose...I'm sure that any decent plow would get the job done...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2002 | 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for answering my question fellas,

I have the wife of my best friend asking what kind of plow and winch to get her husband for christmas. He has a Honda 450ES. I am going to recommend the Moose 60" straght blade and a warn 2500. I have the Warn 2500 and have been very happy so far. I think that will be a nice setup for the man. Any other suggestions welcome.

Old 12-09-2002 | 08:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yea, one recommendation on the Warn 2500,
be sure to get the new style 'mini' remote. it's handlebar mounted and perfect for plowing and using your left thumb.
the 'mini' comes with the Warn2500 2.5ci and 3.0ci models.

they are new.........and fantastic! great improvemement over the huge, old-style, bulky remote.

thathathat's all folks![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

-MT

Old 12-10-2002 | 12:50 AM
Trailblazer

mtpockets,

Do you know if you can use both the old "Lollipop" remote along with the handlebar mounted mini-rocker switch? I have the big "Lollipop" remote which in my opinion is a nice remote for winching the bike out or another bike out but I don't think it will work to great for plowing.

Old 12-10-2002 | 02:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i'm guessing the "Lollipop" remote you are refering to is the one with the 10' cable remote?
if so, YES they can be combined together with the mini-rocker remote on the 2.5ci or the 3.0ci.

i'm also thinking that if the 3.0ci isn't that much more in weight and cost, on a heavy ATV it can't hurt to have a little more![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

-MT

Old 12-10-2002 | 03:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Chieftam,
i was plowing with my new blade in the last storm and that end-cap sure would have come in handy!
some of the 5" of fluff was falling-off the left side while i was rolling it right. you were smart ordering it with your blade!

did you have to drill holes to install it?

-MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2002 | 11:55 AM
|
Trailblazer

I'm not sure on the mounting of the endcap as there was a delay in the shipping on the mount for my P650, and I just got a call yesterday that it was in. I am going to pick everything up this afternoon. I will let you know when I get it on the mounting, but I believe, if I remember correctly, when I was looking on the Moose website for info on the end-cap, it said some drilling required. I am going to try to rig some mounting that instead of just bolting it on, I will use some sort of quick-release mounting that I can remove the cap quickly if I need to push snow to the left.

Old 12-11-2002 | 01:22 AM
Trailblazer

mtpockets,

Where on your handlebars did you mount the mini-rocker switch for your winch? Could you post a pic so I can see where to mount mine when I get it?

Thanks,
patjaysam

Old 12-11-2002 | 08:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

my computer knowledge is very limited. i don't know how to post pics. nor do i have the equipment to do it. sorry.

HOWEVER, there is a picture in the installation supplement guide.

the dealer installed it for me, did a nice job too i might add, and it's mounted just above the left hand controls.

it's an easy reach for my left thumb.

over the years, i have had both rack mounted and the hand-held control, and BY FAR this is the nicest set-up yet!
(at least for my needs it is)

-MT

Old 12-12-2002 | 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just got my first ATV at Thanksgiving for work and plowing around my property. I went with the 60 County Plow and a 2500 Warn on a Prarie 650. I just this morning plowed 10 inches of Adirondack Asphalt (the wet snowball snow) down 700 feet of driveway and it handled it with no problem. I have a very flat driveway and I am not using the skids, should I be? It scrapes it right down to blacktop nicely without them. I figured the skids were just for plowing on surfaces that either would dig in or are not smooth (again I am a total newbie at this).

Quick Reply: Snowplow - heavy or lite?