Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Snowblowers for ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snowblowers for ATV's

Greetings all,
I am new here but have been using my 2000 Honda 450es to plow my 375ft driveway here in NH for a couple years. I have a Moose plow and warn winch,it does ok but places to put snow are getting tough,also when we get a 20-30 inch storm it gets to be lots of work. i have been looking around for a snow blower that would attch on front and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this.I found a company in ID Mays Honda make a "snow Hogg" here is link to pic http://keokee.com/mayshonda/
Does anyone have one of these and how does it work,would also be interested in another brand if any knows of one
Thanks in advance for your input,
Dave K

Old 02-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have any experience with these but I hve seen them in the Polaris accessary catalog. I am not sure what brand they are but you could look into it.

Old 02-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

One thing you might want to consider is that you may not be able to drive slow enough without overloading the blower. Im assuming you are asking about a blower with its own gas engine power source? It may handle a 3inch snowfall if you creep along with your bike, but if you have 6-8inches ( or more) you will find yourself pushing into the snow and then having to stop and wait while the blower catchs up. We have a 9ft flow on a 180Hp tractor and anything over about 4 inches of snow causes the very same problem. Its not that the blower cant handle the snow, the problem is the tractor ( or in your case) isnt able to drive slow enough for the blower to keep up. Its just something to consider. The plow will be much faster, but as you say, it limits where you can put the snow.

Old 02-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Range Rover

You could do like I did and use your quad for fun and buy a 13HP 34" snowblower for the driveway. It would cost you just as much for the aftermarket snowblower attachment and not do nearly as good a job as a walk behind, I know the ATV version would be allot more fun but I don't think it would work as well.

I went through the same thing a few years ago when I went out and bought a snowblower attachment for my riding tractor, you cannot make sharp turns or get as slose to stairs as you can with a walk behind

Next choice up would be a beater old truck with a plow on it you could use for plowing the driveway only, my wife wouldn't let me do that because she said the yard would look like a junkyard.

Old 02-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Most ATV dealers here in Newfoundland carry these units. The better ones are 52" wide and have a 12 Hp or better Honda Engine powering the auger/impeller. I've seen these work, and they are fantastic. I've seen 1 blow fluffy dry snow over 200' on a calm day easily.

Old 02-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

Just another thought... consider the Swisher "ATV Solutions" system. They make a plow and a bucket that use the same mount. That way you could plow your driveway all into one big pile, then hook up the bucket (probably about a 30 second process) and put the snow wherever you wanted it. It might take a little more time... but that could be considered a good thing too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] This probably isn't the solution you're looking for but I thought I'd throw the idea out there anyways.