Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch location..front or rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2000, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most winches seem to be mounted in front...would pulling from the back be as good? Any problems with mounting in the back?
Thanks...Bill

Old 04-19-2000, 10:18 PM
Range Rover

I've thought about a 2" reciever on the front and rear like you see on some of these off-road trucks...I've seen these advertised for trucks, but it'd be pretty simple to make one that'd fit a 4whlr...now all I've got to do is "JUST DO IT"

Old 04-19-2000, 10:27 PM
Range Rover

It would definetely be great to be able to move the winch from front to back. I've seen a mount in cabelas that allows this but if I remember right, it's between $250.00-$300.00. A second winch would be cheaper but probably not too realistic. I prefer my winch mounted in the front because it gets more use lifting my snowplow than pulling me out of a mud hole.

Old 04-20-2000, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

A good cheap fix is that crank type boat winch thing that mounts to the rear rack. Inexpensive, and though seldom used, it will bail your (NOTE FROM ATVBBS: Please follow Forum guidelines. Crude language does not enhance your stature or the content of your post.) out of tight spot if the event presents itself.

Old 04-20-2000, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Warn makes an ATV kit with a front and rear receiver hitch setup and a big plug for the winch. Looks neat and easy to use, but the cost is premium, too. You could make one yourself, but I don't know about the plug part. I'll scan the pics and description tomorrow and put them in my folder below.

Old 04-24-2000, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Warn 9000I on my F150 with the fron and rear receiver hitch set up. I keep it mounted on the front but can switch to the rear by pulling one pin. This has saved my @ss more than a few times. I have found that I can pull myself out of a bad situation from the front about 95% of the time. But when you need a pull from the rear you need it bad.
An alternative to the front/back mount system would be to have a ****** block so that you can pull from angles. This works extremely well most of the time and is much much cheaper than the premium price you will pay for the front/back setup. I have a Superwinch ATV2000 mounted on the front of my 00' Sp500. I carry a ****** block and two 25' lenghts of 1/4" wire cable. An added advantage of the ****** block is you can use it as a double line pull and double the pulling power of your winch. I have never had to do this but it's nice insurance. But then again, if you have the resources...The front/back system is very nice.
Sneeky

Old 04-24-2000, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

OPPS, did it again

Old 04-24-2000, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Both ends of the machine would be great,if you have the funds. If you are limited to one location only, just ask yourself, Do i want to go were I haven't been or do I want to go where I just been? I pesonally like the front mount, It would be a pain to hit all the areas(you need to go through) in reverse.

Old 04-25-2000, 12:03 AM
Range Rover

hey get a warn 2000 that can move front to rear

Old 04-25-2000, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

I personally built one of these mounts for my 300 xplorer. Used round pipe for the reciever and welded it to the bottom plate Warn 2000, works great but recommend the square tubing. Ordered Superwinch quick connects and it works great. I carry the winch on the rear for weight and to protect the winch. I love it and it only really cost $42.00 for the quick connects (had to get two sets) I have all of my own equipment, but have dealt with a lot of pro welders. Guarantee it to be cheaper to have one built rather than buy it. I do not have a way to get a picture on the net, but will be happy to give advice if ya'll need it.

Chuck

Quick Reply: Winch location..front or rear?