Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

polaris6004x4 or yamahagrizzly6604x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris6004x4 or yamahagrizzly6604x4

Originally posted by: ProEMTPFF
Grizzly or Prairie both are great machines. The Polaris 600 really is'nt in the same class as the Grizz or Prairie, the Polaris 700 is closer but not close enough.
Not really sure what is meant by this? Is the 600 not in the same class as a Prairie because it has more torque, better suspension, and almost 4 more inches of ground clearance than a prairie? Anyway I guess the title of the thread should have been "What ATV should I get other than what I have already narrowed my selection down to?"

Old 05-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Redneck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

New to the board, but long time rider (25+ years on all types of bikes, trykes and quads). Here's my two cents: Looks like you're headed in the right direction with your screen name. Especially if you are near Windrock or anywhere in Eastern TN. For those of you hardcore Prairie dogs....it don't do so well around here. For all of the muddy, hilly and rocky terrain, especially around Windrock, the quads with independant suspension are the ONLY way to go. As for the Prarie v. the Griz...to each his own. Based on my experience and with the people I ride with, the Griz is the most dependable, toughest workhorse in the bunch. There are several of just about any brand you can think of, from Grizzly's to the Polaris 600 & 700, Rincons and yes, even one Prarie. But again, he don't do so well. As far as stance, the Prarie and the Polaris is lower and wider than the Griz, stock. But how many of us ride stock tires and wheels? Regardless, I've never had a tipping problem on the Griz, except for once when coming into a turn too fast and didn't see the barbed-wire fence until it was too late....had to flip it or get hung. Not fun. But for riding in TN and the type terrain you'll be facing, I'd go Griz all day.

Old 05-19-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Ok first of all I wasnt refering to polaris as being top heavy, I was talking about the grizzly, I know they are because I have ridden them and most people who own them say the same thing. Second I said they were not good on hills unless straight up and down, (never said they were'nt good climbers) Also there are plenty of steep hills in Missouri (Ozarks), and the cause of the nose dive on an off camber decent was the stock tires (I will be the first to admit the stockers suck.) As for ground clearance, Sitting in the showroom the grizzly and polaris do have more ground clearance, (until you get on) when a load is applied to the IRS it squats, when off camber it squats more, That is why they are unstable, they sit higher and have loose suspention that gives. It is good to give on flat terrain thats why I said "they are great on rocks"It is a fact that the lower the center of gravity the more stable a vehicle of any kind is. Another point with the IRS, with a heavy tongue load the IRS will flatten like a pancake and ride like crap, put the same load on a solid axle and the load is put directly on the tires and you dont loose any clearance or ride quality. As for dependability look on the kawasaki forum and compare it to the yamaha, much more problems with the Grizzly, shafts breaking, over heating, CV joints, not starting, Brakes get wet and muddy, (sealed brakes on the prairie) and the list goes on. I know several people that traded in there Grizzly and sportsman 500 to get the prairie, a few are on this forum. So this is my answer to "why anybody would want one". With mud I will put the Prairie up against any other brand out there, I live near the Mississippi river and there is plenty of gumbo and swamps to be tested in, the prairie has no problems in the mud. I will say, all the bikes on the market today are better than any before, and they all have there strengths and weakness but in my humble opinion, unless your an older person just putting around the farm, or have back problems and have to have the smoothest ride posible (on flat ground) A solid axle is the way to go (doesnt even have to be a prairie) the Polaris Magnum might be the best for you. Try them all.

Old 05-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

First off his decision is between the Grizzly and Sportsman. Like me, he probably ruled out the Prairie because maybe he just doesn't like the way it looks. I have no doubt that the Praire is faster than the two. But I would rather sacrifice a few mph for a much better looking quad.

Old 05-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I really enjoy my prairie.. I hear the Grizzly's are nice though

Old 05-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Range Rover

this is the utility quad forum, not the sport/racing quad program..

with that said, between the grizz 660 and the sp 600, I have to
agree with the previous post that stated the grizz seems more
top heavy and less sure footed/stable at higher speed..and as
far as I know, grizz's still don't like water(02 and 03 machines
still having trbl)..you'd have thought yamaha would have
addressed this on the 03 production...

They are both good machines, just the polaris fits me better for
the type of driving I do and for what I need a utility(not sport)
quad for..

Old 05-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

I have a '02 Grizz and have yet to have a problem.....any problem with water. I live in Florida, we have ALOT of mud and water and as I stated before not a problem. Also, all these "tippy" complaints. While the Grizzly in stock form may feel tippy to the novice rider in stock form, I feel its quite stable for a utility bike. Also, while were on the tippy subject lets be truthful, who here in all reality keeps the stock tires and wheels on thier bike if they can afford aftermarket? We all usually change that set up, the Grizz with aftermarket tires and wheels "like most bikes" is even more stable with a few tire and wheel mods. I understand we all feel we bought the best bike and we did, we bought the best bike for us. I for one and tired of these "so called" Grizz stability problems.......they don't exist in my opinion. I've owned alot of different bikes over the years, make and models alike and raced many on the local circuit here this is the first Yamaha I've ever owned and I like it. Every make and model out there have thier positives and negatives, have a idea of what you like, test ride them all if you can, buy the one you like.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:01 PM
Range Rover

I'm glad your grizz is working out for you.. but I hope you're
not infering there are no water issues with the grizz.. get on the
yamaha posts, read about the lawsuits, grievances, battles people
are having with yamaha over this issue with their grizz 660's...
Also read what Dirt Wheels had to say about the grizz 660 when it
first came out.. they experienced the same thing.(I don't take
Dirt Wheels as gospel but when they're having the exact same problem
with the grizz and water that many others are having, there's gotta be
something to it, not just spin).

You have a good point about the after market tires, probably helps
the stability, but in stock form I feel less stable and more tippy on
the grizz than a sportsman...

Both are good machines and a person should buy whatever they
like but this is mho...

Old 05-21-2003, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own both a 98 Grizz and a 99 Sportsman

My 2 cents:

The Sportsman clearly has a better ride over the rough stuff and is far superior in the mud but feels top heavy on the rocky off camber type trails. Much better on a long all day ride unless you need to go on the twist rough trails.

I have had zero breakdowns on the Sportsman but the Grizz has cost me quite a bit on drive train repairs and has had one "fail to start" problem.

The Grizz is "more fun" in that it has more zip and power.

I'm thinking about trading them both in.....what would I buy? ..... a new Grizz with the IRS and a new Kodiak for the rough off camber timbered trails I often ride in.

Slim